Page 1 of 2
I don't know if this thread has already been made but i would like to know what's the darkest scale you know for a solo. I've been making a metal song with a very dark melody.

So i would be thankful if you could avoid pointing random scales or modes.
I quite like Harmonic minor for darker sounding leads
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Locrian Mode(7th Mode of The Major Scale, if you didn't know =])
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
locrian mode.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TanZ_MetaL
I've been making a metal song with a very dark melody.

well how about you use the same scale composed the melody with....seeing that its so dark.
Use the same scale you used for the melody.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
El-1-2-3-4
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
well how about you use the same scale composed the melody with....seeing that its so dark.

rofl

winner of the thread here.
phrygian dominant might work but you should study atonal stuff if you're playing metal. You have to go outside of the scale.
Corona Corona
Quote by demoniacfashion
phrygian dominant might work but you should study atonal stuff if you're playing metal. You have to go outside of the scale.

Atonal metal? No way.
@ everyone who said anything with the word "phrygian" or "locrian" or anything modal at all: NO. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

TS: What did you use for the rest of the song? Sound like that would be a solid place to start. In all probability, I'd say you're probably using natural minor with a lot of chromatics and b5's. In fact, I'd be willing to bet on it.
Quote by demoniacfashion

There is very little in the way of atonal metal. Better off studying the use of chromatics and neighboring tones.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Dark reverb in a dark wooded guitar with the low mids being more present as opposed to the high mids.

Instant melancholy and/or dark vibe.

Natural minor is good enough, and other scales are more "context" based for their flavours.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Double Harmonic, maybe? It's darker than Phrygian Dominant.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by timeconsumer09
@ everyone who said anything with the word "phrygian" or "locrian" or anything modal at all: NO. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS

I'm getting tired of you people who always whine about modes. What if TS has as a two chord vamp like (i - II)? What if he hasn't? That's not relevant. He asked about a dark scale and phrygian is one, IF you play it correctly as a mode over a modal progression.
Quote by deHufter
I'm getting tired of you people who always whine about modes. What if TS has as a two chord vamp like (i - II)? What if he hasn't? That's not relevant. He asked about a dark scale and phrygian is one, IF you play it correctly as a mode over a modal progression.

If he's asking the question about what scales to use, there is almost no chance that TS knows how to use modes properly. If he WAS using a modal vamp, he would have already known what he was doing and wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.
Quote by timeconsumer09
If he's asking the question about what scales to use, there is almost no chance that TS knows how to use modes properly. If he WAS using a modal vamp, he would have already known what he was doing and wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

True
Well it depends on the melody you have already, I mean you cant put anything over anything.
But generally, D minor is really sad, and chromatic, well chromatic is everything really, but ascending, it can sound kinda dangerous.

Put you need to know what you already have, you know.
Quote by TanZ_MetaL
I don't know if this thread has already been made but i would like to know what's the darkest scale you know for a solo. I've been making a metal song with a very dark melody.

What scale did you use for your "very dark melody"?

Maybe you could try that one?
shred is gaudy music
The one without light.

But really, it's about note choice and phrasing. No scale is inherently dark, you must make it sound that way. But it would probably be best to use the scale you're using as your "main" for soloing over it... just well-placed out of key notes and you'll do good.
Mixolydian #1

and if that's not dark enough, do what i do and add chromatics.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Aug 9, 2009,
Diminished!
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

i will problably look like a fool but what i know about theory is peanuts. I only know pentatonics and several chords construction.

I was just fooling around wih the guitar and the melody just came out and i don't have he knowledge to associate it to any scale. However, after someone said the harmonic minor, i studied it a bit and i can say that hte melody MAY be in harmonic minor.

Even though thanks to all of you guys.
Quote by TanZ_MetaL

I don't mean to be offensive, but your question demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding about musical composition. You can't haphazardly pick a scale, play notes from it and sound amazing, it doesn't work that way.

My suggestion would be to identify the key your song is in, based on the chords and notes you are playing. If you can, record yourself playing the riff or progression that will run in the background, and improvise over it using the key scale. You will soon hear the notes that sound dark when played against the correct chords.
Practice. Play. Sleep. Repeat.

Quote by pearlJam_31490
i take it next your going to tell me that Cb is a note too!
I find the Hungarian minor scale disturbing dark. It's basically harmonic minor but with an added flatted fifth. Yea.
Quote by timeconsumer09
@ everyone who said anything with the word "phrygian" or "locrian" or anything modal at all: NO. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS..[ ]....
In reality, "Phrygian Dominant" isn't a mode at all. It's a scale. It's the same notes as "Phrygian mode", but it has a major 3rd.

The simple act of playing a modal scale doesn't cause modal music, agreed. But the way it's harmonized can give the impression of modality.

In the case of Phrygian dominant, it's often used with the "Andalusian Cadence", which is simply a harmonic minor chord progression, played "backwards". That has more of a gypsy feel to it, rather than being "ominous and foreboding", which is what I associate with being, "dark".

In any case, scales which contain a 3 semitone jump, as does Phrygian dominant, could also, or more appropriately called "exotic". This includes the Byzantine scale, the double harmonic scale, and a couple of others. Some of these are "AKA" duplicates of the Phrygian Dominant scale.

It's the minor 2nd of Phrygian that creates the darkness. This can also be true of the harmonic minor scale, and how you work the 1/2 tone intervals into the melody. The Rolling Stone's, "Paint it Black", is just a harmonic minor scale, played over i, V7. (the verses in their entirety.

Now let me tell you what I'm tired of. I'm tired of being condescended to by people who type in all capital letters, before realizing that they're wrong about what they're screaming about.

As far as, "I want the darkest scale possible", as a topic. It genuinely doesn't work that way. Assuming you detune certain notes and play odd intervals, to me, that would possibly qualify as "the most annoying scale possible", but not necessarily "the darkest. IMHO, you need chords to help you toward that end.

In any case, give a listen to Ginastera's "Toccata", on Emerson, Lake, & Palmer's, "Braid Salad Surgery". Then get back to me on whether you think that's, dark, annoying, just plain stupid, or D, all of the foregoing.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 19, 2015,
^That's a pretty significant necrobump right there. Oh well- I'm sure others are going to check this out anyway.

Ambiguity makes a lot of things sound dark- combining parts of different scales can give you a really creepy, suspenseful sort of feel. Try to write things that don't resolve to the tonic, and take advantage of intervals which avoid a major/minor feel.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Quote by JimDawson
^That's a pretty significant necrobump right there. Oh well- I'm sure others are going to check this out anyway.

Ambiguity makes a lot of things sound dark- combining parts of different scales can give you a really creepy, suspenseful sort of feel. Try to write things that don't resolve to the tonic, and take advantage of intervals which avoid a major/minor feel.
Oops... To the upside, I probably don't have to worry about getting screamed at anymore... Then too, I dint do-it, it was the guy on top of me.. Wait, I think that came out wrong...
Quote by Captaincranky
Oops... To the upside, I probably don't have to worry about getting screamed at anymore... Then too, I dint do-it, it was the guy on top of me.. Wait, I think that came out wrong...

Lol, I got ninja'd.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Just by looking at the title I was pretty sure this was going to be a necro and have a bunch of answers like "locrian".

A scale doesn't make a dark sound. It's about how you use it. Also, "dark" is way too vague. What does it mean? What songs do people consider dark? Black metal is dark. Same can be said about some pop songs. I think King Crimson's Epitaph is kind of a dark song.

But whatever, necro is a necro.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Super necro, will probably close unless OP miraculously shows up.

Scales aren't inherently dark. They are only darker in comparison to other scales.

More importantly, "darkness" is largely determined by the harmony the scale is imposed over.

My point being without a harmony or melody to look at we are just arbitrarily throwing out scales that may not even be relevant or applicable to the situation.

Also pay no attention to the mode argument on the first page.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
The darkest scales are the ones played with the lights turned out.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2