Hey guys, I'm just recently getting into Hard Rock and not so much Metal anymore. The problem is is when I try to sound "Rocky" I can't seem to grasp the Rock sound. All my riffs either sound metal or sound really boring. What makes hard rock hard rock? What are some common techniques used, what kinds of notes are used? Ie. Straight up notes, Power Chords, Diminished stuff, etc. What are the basic principals when playing Rock?

Thanks!
power chords, 12 bar blues, pentatonic licks are all cliche of rock music. gotta find your own niche and work at it tho, it doesnt come easily.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Iron Disturbia
Hey guys, I'm just recently getting into Hard Rock and not so much Metal anymore. The problem is is when I try to sound "Rocky" I can't seem to grasp the Rock sound. All my riffs either sound metal or sound really boring. What makes hard rock hard rock? What are some common techniques used, what kinds of notes are used? Ie. Straight up notes, Power Chords, Diminished stuff, etc. What are the basic principals when playing Rock?

Thanks!

Rather than trying to sound "rock" by utilizing superficial cliches, I would suggest that you spend some quality time with the music itself.

Get yourself a Zeppelin, or Aerosmith CD (or whoever you like)...... learn the tunes.

You'll sound alot more convincing if you truly know for yourself, from hands on/ears on experience, what the style is all about.
shred is gaudy music