Hey guys,

I've been toying around with the possibility of running my guitar through my computer's microphone input and out my speakers. I know it's possible because I'm able to record like that, but for some reason, it won't work when I just want to play and not record. I've read online that the computer's ability can easily outperform an amp's simply because of the soundcard, although it cannot go as loud. Hopefully we have some experts here.

Here's what I've done:

1. Bought a 1/8' male to 1/4' female adapter. I then did guitar --> cable --> adapter --> audio input.
2. I downloaded "Freeamp3" VST (a plugin) and loaded it up through "Audacity" using a VST enabler. Which I placed in the Plugin folder of my program files (PC)
3. I load up Audacity, and for some reason the only way I can run it is if I record something, stop it, pull up the "effects" bar and load up "FreeAmp3 by FrettedSynth". Which allows me to change the distortion and such.

Do any of you know how I can use this program simply as an amp? I just want to jam on my computer.
I use my effect pedal plugged into my computer, and yes it works. I think that effect is an "after-effect" and doesn't work while you play it.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by KevinLee
1. Bought a 1/8' male to 1/4' female adapter. I then did guitar --> cable --> adapter --> audio input.
2. I downloaded "Freeamp3" VST (a plugin) and loaded it up through "Audacity" using a VST enabler. Which I placed in the Plugin folder of my program files (PC)
3. I load up Audacity, and for some reason the only way I can run it is if I record something, stop it, pull up the "effects" bar and load up "FreeAmp3 by FrettedSynth". Which allows me to change the distortion and such.

Do any of you know how I can use this program simply as an amp? I just want to jam on my computer.

That's the problem! You can´t just plug the output of your guitar (if it has passive pickups) to your computer directly. You need to boost the signal either using a preamp or a pedal before it goes into the computer. Alternatively you can use a line-USB device.
I condenser mic my amp and run it thru my interface and computer then comes out of my big stereo speakers as well as the amp. It just fills the room with guitar and mixes great with backing tracks. I like to use all my speakers (9 in total) I use direct monitoring because there is some minor latency issues if I run it thru cubase for effects and eq but its still fun.

The way you want to do it would have latency problems (Slight delay in sound).
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 7, 2009,
I've tried a whole bunch of amp simulator programs on the PC and none of them ever came close to a decent real amp.

The biggest problem with this setup is that you will have to have a very good soundcard or audio interface. Most standard soundcards, especially those built-in motherboards have high latency. If your soundcard support Steinberg's ASIO then by all mean use it with a VST plugin of some sort. It bypasses the windows mixers control and speed thing up a whole lots.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Aug 7, 2009,