Page 1 of 3
I recently moved into a new apartment, and currently do not have internet. To anyone who has grown up on technology, like me, this is a major deal. It has been killing me inside to not be able to browse the Pit whenever I felt boredom settling in, so I devised an amazing plan.

By testing the different wi-fi signals throughout the entire apartment, I found that the only unsecured network was down a few apartments. I had only one problem, the only place that the signal was strong enough to go on the internet was in my parent's bedroom. Myself, having a desktop computer with a wifi usb adapter, could not set up in their room. So I had to come up with a way to make the signal better from my room.

By positioning the USB adapter around various parts of my computer desk, I found that in some places I could achieve a signal strength of 6%. That roughly translates to 1MB/s. Anyone who is technology savvy knows that that is not nearly enough to browse webpages. I had to do better than that, so I built myself a wi-fi satellite dish.

Using a lid of a pan and some aluminum foil, I created a concave reflective surface. Using some math, I found that the focal point of the reflected waves would be exactly 6" out from the dish's deepest part. I ran some tests, and eventually achieved a signal strength of 28%, nearly 5 times the original strength.

TL;DR - Built ghetto satellite dish (see picture) to boost wi-fi signal

I was so proud of myself, that I had to tell the Pit. And also to ask, Has anyone else in the Pit build something so ghetto and far-fetched, but it has actually worked?
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.

MushroomEDIT: I "built" myself a magic wand once, and then somehow convinced myself that it worked. I was pretty proud until I woke up the next day and realised it was all a lie

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Pretty sure you're crazy, and this is illegal.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
That is indeed awesome.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
well its a lot better than my 60k PS that I pay $30 a month for.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 7, 2009,
Tbh that's pretty awesome. I'd probably do something like that myself if I actually required to steal someone elses wifi xP

However, the closest I got to that was making a whiteboard when I was little by using one of those plastic poster display... things and turning the poster around so the background was white.
Worked for a few years...
he approves

though he could've done more with less
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
woah thats cool
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by MushroomBomb

MushroomEDIT: I "built" myself a magic wand once, and then somehow convinced myself that it worked. I was pretty proud until I woke up the next day and realised it was all a lie

Way to get my hopes up

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Get that shit completely smooth and you might be able to get a bit more signal out of it.

I'm working on it as I type this. I've also heard that chocolate (rubbing it on) would help produce a better shine.
Quote by imdeth

you can buy things that you plug into a wall socket that will mimic a wireless signal. You could plug it in your bedroom and get pretty much full strengh connection allover your apartment afaik
Quote by RG5EX1
I'm working on it as I type this. I've also heard that chocolate (rubbing it on) would help produce a better shine.

Yeah, I think if you rub dark chocolate on it then remove it with steel wool it makes it really bright.
I lol'd.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
And thus The Messiah 2, From Heaven with Love, was born.
Incredible.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by beatreebor
This is both brilliant but also a tad sad.
go outside.

I love outside, but I have to have the Pit too. Honestly, it's a pain to live without internet for a number of reasons.
Quote by imdeth

As for myself, Almost every time I go out skaitng I ghetto-rig some crazy contraption and it actually works.

Let me see if I can find a picture of one of my more awesome ones.

Its two kickers leaning on a go kart propped up with 2X4s.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by RG5EX1

Maybe you should ask these guys for help?

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Daaayum that's ghetto
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by Comrade Curry
It's been killing you to not browse the pit? wow

Not just the pit. Try not living with internet for a month. You use it to look up petty things that make your life easier. It is a great tool, and it sucks to not have it.
Quote by imdeth

When my internet goes down, luckily my adapter is quite powerful so can easily pick up a few other houses routers around me and use their internet
Quote by gtdude114
Pretty sure you're crazy, and this is illegal.

Actually, "crazy" is when the foil is wrapped around the head.
And illegal? Pish posh. Well done TS.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
I baked you an e-cookie just for this incredible achievment. well done, good sir!
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Alex Vik
Sweet idea dude.

I just realized that they're the same guy!

To the conspiracy-mobile!

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Quick question: What would the best way to smooth out the foil be? I am trying with just my hands, and I can't get it right.
Quote by imdeth

TS, i would like to award you with 1 internets. That is brilliant.

KLH & KGB
11/28/09
New Update: More position changing. I'm stable around 20-25% strength now. Although, I did reach a new high.

Keep in mind, my highest without the satellite was only 8%.
Quote by imdeth

I approve.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Page 1 of 3