I got a brand new (2 month's I've had now) Peavey Millennium AC 4, and yes, you guessed it, active pickups running off two 9V batteries.

I'm not sure if it's the batteries or what but my bass has been having what you can call a shut off. The output pretty much dissapears and I have to turn the volume up to max on my recording interface to hear any playback. I've check for loose/broken wiring, problems with the jack, and everything appears to be in order. And I am not playing through an amplifier, I have the bass plugged into the Line 6 toneport UX2 interface for the computer. It's a USB interface with two 1/4 jacks and two XLR input's for recording guitar, bass, and vocals. It's definitely not the device.
What I really think it is is the batteries. I have two sets of rechargeable 9V batteries. One set is a pair I bought from Harbor and Freight and the others are Radioshack batteries. It seems every time I use the set from Radioshack batteries is when I have problems. I fully charge the batteries and they it still happens. Off the topic, I have double AA batteries from radioshack for my camera that suck and go dead fast.

Anyone else here play on an active bass and use rechargeable batteries? Ever have problems? I really think it's the radioshack batteries freaking up. For one, they were a rip off at $15.00 a battery. Second, they are bigger than the standard 9V battery so they have to squeeze into the hole for them in the back of the bass. Third, the Harbor and Freight batteries were only $4.00 a battery and work fine and they are the standard battery size.
Hopefully it's just a battery problem. Can anyone diagnose any other problems that could be causing this other than the Radioshack batteries?
Dont use rechargeable battery's they decline quicker and i think dont put out as constant power. Put some normal battery's in there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I don't use rechargable batteries with my active basses. In my experience, rechargable batteries can be less than reliable, and that's experience gained from other electrical appliances. Anyways, batteries aren't too expensive, and you don't need to change them that often.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I don't use rechargable batteries with my active basses. In my experience, rechargable batteries can be less than reliable, and that's experience gained from other electrical appliances. Anyways, batteries aren't too expensive, and you don't need to change them that often.

Precisely. Rechargeable 9 volts seem to have more problems than other rechargeable batteries in my experience. And really, batteries in active basses last a very long time as long as you unplug the bass when you're done playing. I had a Schecter with active electronics, and I replaced the battery once in the 2 years I had it.
"Life is like a swimming pool, the longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get."
Thanks for the replies. It is a battery problem, and it's particurarily the Radioshack ones. You know what it is? Radioshack batteries charge deteriorates after being charged, whether they're sitting in a cupboard or inside of a device.

I did the rechargeable batteries because I didn't want to have to buy new ones every time the last batteries died. So far, the Harbor and Freight batteries I bought work great and last a long time. And the power doesn't completely kick off when they start to die. I haven't noticed any negative effects sound wise regarding a constant supply of power compared to regular batteries.
Guys. i purchased a used identical bass about 3 weeks ago, noticed that the sound was a little fuzzy so replaced both batteries with expensive high powered standard batteries (not rechargeable) and yesterday the bass started to sound fuzzy again and within a few minutes the sound almost completely disappeared apart from a faint fuzz noise when you play a note. These batteries should last a long long time as they are Duracell and never had this issue with previous basses so just curious if the guy with the battery issue has noticed this situation with batteries wasting within a few weeks.
is your bass still plugged in even when you dont play? if so you can empty the battery in a matter of days.