Page 1 of 3
Think about it, what if everyone saw colour differently?

Like, some people seeing it in negative, or just the colours mixed up for example. And as you couldn't describe it by saying the colour, or describing something that is that colour, as they would have seen it differently their whole life and wouldn't know. Would there be any way to tell?

Discuss.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by el-ECTRO
Think about it, what if everyone saw colour differently?

Like, some people seeing it in negative, or just the colours mixed up for example. And as you couldn't describe it by saying the colour, or describing something that is that colour, as they would have seen it differently their whole life and wouldn't know. Would there be any way to tell?

Discuss.

colorblind?

what do you mean differently
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
lol, I made this exact thread a few months ago

and it's something that fooked with my mind 'cos it is all subjective.. we all have these labels, but we probably colours slightly differently.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
lol, I made this exact thread a few months ago

Damn sorry, I did searchbar
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

Doesn't light of different colours have varying wavelengths?

If so, with proper equipment, you could "measure" what colour everything was.

EDIT: The thing that always makes my mind boggle is the thought that we as humans may be missing out on many senses that we are unable to perceive, that are beyond comprehention to us, in the same way that a man who has been blind for all his life wouldn't be able to imagine what sight was like.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Doesn't light of different colours have varying wavelengths?

If so, with proper equipment, you could "measure" what colour everything was.

But if you saw blue as green, wouldn't you just see blue light and think the measurement meant blue?

Yeah, I thought about this a few times and when I try to explain it people look at me like i'm nuts. I bet its true, my sky is yellow.
You get different colours from different wavelengths. The only error would be what happens in your eye and afterwards. And the human eye and the interpretation of visual information can be very flawed.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My mind = blown.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i get what you mean... you see the sky is blue but what if to someone else its really your idea of green?? you would never know because they will only know the word blue for that colour...
Quote by el-ECTRO
But if you saw blue as green, wouldn't you just see blue light and think the measurement meant blue?

Perhaps, but the new colour names would be far less interesting, and would have to simply be the numbers of the measurements.

Blue's new name would be "475 nm (approx.)".

It doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by SG_dave
well if two people were to look at the same colour. and both call it blue. then it must appear the same to those two people.

Nope, because if one person knows that colour as 'blue', but sees is as yellow or whatever, they would still say that that colour was blue as they were raised to know that that colour was called 'blue'.

Quote by el-ECTRO

By going off of our knowledge of the eye as well as the wavelengths of colors we have given them names.

If you were to claim that blue = green you sir would be wrong. It may look this way to you but everyone has established that blue is blue, the shortest wavelength (if my memory serves me right)

We had to name it something, and its been called blue. If you see it as something else you must have some trait that most people do not have to allow you to see it that way.

*edit*

Quote by Kensai
You get different colours from different wavelengths. The only error would be what happens in your eye and afterwards. And the human eye and the interpretation of visual information can be very flawed.

That's prolly worded better than my post XD
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by SG_dave
well if two people were to look at the same colour. and both call it blue. then it must appear the same to those two people.

yeah, but that's just a label.. a subjective label; an adjective essentially.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by SG_dave

umm no. it's just that they grew up being told that the colour they are staring at is blue. but imagine one day you looked through my eyes and saw that my interpretation of blue was your interpretation of red.

do you get it? if not then may god help you...lol
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by funny_page
i get what you mean... you see the sky is blue but what if to someone else its really your idea of green?? you would never know because they will only know the word blue for that colour...

i don't think the difference would be quite so massive but i think it's possible some people will see slightly different shades of colours to other people
Quote by SG_dave

No dude. You learn colours by seeing them and then associating words with them. For example, a parent could point to the sky, say "blue", and the child would learn that that colour was blue. However, there's no real way to tell whether they're both seeing the same thing, they just both call that colour blue.

edit: damn. way late
There might be slight differences, but I don't think there are drastic ones like seeing green as red. All the colours just seem so... right... the way they are. But you never know.
Different cultures divide colours differently. In Ancient Greece, there was no concept of 'blue' - and the Welsh language divides blue, yellow and green into different sections and segments.

It's entirely a matter of epistemological perspective. Can one, as materialists speculated, say that the exterior world is material, definite, and able to be defined in arbitrary absolutes? In which case we can say that blue is most definitely blue and cannot be thought to be otherwise. Or must one take a more empiricistic view that only what presents itself to us through experience - thus blue is blue only to us. For example, to take another, how can we be precisely sure what our words mean to other people? Is my concept of 'sad' precisely the same melancholy that another person feels? Is blue the same for all of us?
I often think about this.
Listen to Kensai. He knows his ****.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
If Sesame Street says that it's green, then it's green.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Kumanji
Different cultures divide colours differently. In Ancient Greece, there was no concept of 'blue' - and the Welsh language divides blue, yellow and green into different sections and segments.

It's entirely a matter of epistemological perspective. Can one, as materialists speculated, say that the exterior world is material, definite, and able to be defined in arbitrary absolutes? In which case we can say that blue is most definitely blue and cannot be thought to be otherwise. Or must one take a more empiricistic view that only what presents itself to us through experience - thus blue is blue only to us. For example, to take another, how can we be precisely sure what our words mean to other people? Is my concept of 'sad' precisely the same melancholy that another person feels? Is blue the same for all of us?

And like I said, blue is always "blue" (as in the same wavelength) up until the point where it enters your eyes, then it can shift.

Quote by Ovenman
I often think about this.
Listen to Kensai. He knows his ****.

Quote by BobMarleysGhost

Oh and if sesame street jumped off a cliff, you would too?
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

You have hit upon an interesting point - society does indeed indoctrinate ideas of colour and set paths and methods of thinking. Tis a self-perpetuating thing passed from parents to child, teacher to pupil.
Quote by Kensai

That would be a pretty traumatic episode

Quote by Kensai

Sometimes you don't get a choice

Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I've always had this thought, and it pisses me off because I'll never know.

I mean, what if I saw through someone elses eyes and grass was purple and the sky was red!

-Adam
Quote by Kensai

And like I said, blue is always "blue" (as in the same wavelength) up until the point where it enters your eyes, then it can shift.

Aha, not necessarily It is an electromagnetic wave with the wavelength of about 475 nm, but it only becomes 'blue' when we project our own human interpretation onto it, along with all of our cultural baggage - calming, placid, mysterious, whatever. The idea of blue is much more than a simple descriptor on the subconscious level.
I have deuteranomaly. A fancy word for red-green color blind. It's not a big deal and the red green thing is a misnomer. I have trouble distinguishing greens and yellows. Also, dark colors look black in semi-low light. I'll get a color wrong and someone will correct me. No big deal.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by el-ECTRO
That would be a pretty traumatic episode

Yeah I can imagine the news article

"Sesame street crew jumps off cliff, The Count counts 17, 18, 19 dead."

Quote by BobMarleysGhost

Quote by Kumanji
Aha, not necessarily It is an electromagnetic wave with the wavelength of about 475 nm, but it only becomes 'blue' when we project our own human interpretation onto it, along with all of our cultural baggage - calming, placid, mysterious, whatever. The idea of blue is much more than a simple descriptor on the subconscious level.

Well that's what I'm saying. The wavelength is objective, while the visual interpretation is subjective.
Quote by Kensai
Well that's what I'm saying. The wavelength is objective, while the visual interpretation is subjective.

It's still weird to think that someone may see what you see as blue as red

Quote by el-ECTRO
It's still weird to think that someone may see what you see as blue as red

If you think that's weird, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
Page 1 of 3