I finally bought it !
(1450 bucks CDN)

First when i tried it, i was like wow this sounds like poo.
After a while of tweaking the body and detail i got it to sound pretty good and i dig the marshall sound (i never had a real marshall) and it sounds pretty different from my traynor that i had sold to get this one.

theres a few things i didnt like about it thought. the reverb is pretty weak sauce and its not a super versitile amp for gigging (as in its hard to get the sound i want easily).
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 7, 2009,
That's why I love my single-channel 800 - only 6 knobs.

HNAD!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i couldnt crank it at the store so... BUT i did crank it for like 5 seconds and it sounded sweet lol

plus the cab they had to use was pretty bad imo...

The VM doesnt have that many knobs either...plus its also 1 channel
I also tried out the JVM and JCM dsl,
JVM was too modern for me and the DSL sounded the same no matter how i tweaked it
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Antimage27
i couldnt crank it at the store so... BUT i did crank it for like 5 seconds and it sounded sweet lol

plus the cab they had to use was pretty bad imo...

got get this amp cranked to get that sweet tone. it gets much better. I remember when i first tried it i thought it was thin, but i got a chance to crank one and it sounded worlds different
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i am pretty satisfied of what it does its just hard to tweak, but im sure if i spend some more time with it ill develop my sweet spots..

plus the reverb problem isnt a big one...(pedals ftw)

the wierd thing is the VM costs like 1500 in the states and its USD
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by whitenihilist
You spent 1400 dollars on an amp you are not completely stasified with? Not what I would do personally, but hey to each his own.

HNAD.

Srsly. Happy NAD of course, but unless we get pics, it's an horizontal Frontman stack.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Antimage27
i am pretty satisfied of what it does its just hard to tweak, but im sure if i spend some more time with it ill develop my sweet spots..

plus the reverb problem isnt a big one...(pedals ftw)

the wierd thing is the VM costs like 1500 in the states and its USD

well as long as you like it HNAD

a fulltone OCD sounds wonderful withit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Pics or its a bugera.

Seeing as Bugeras are getting better now, pics or it's a Spider III
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Oh, about the pics, Im having it shipped to me because I dont want a demo version one at the store so ill get some up in a couple weeks !
in the meantime u can assume its s frontman ? lol
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by mexican_shred
well as long as you like it HNAD

a fulltone OCD sounds wonderful withit.

too late i already blew my money on a maxon od808 ( i wouldnt say blew cuz imo its one of my fav overdrives)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
too late i already blew my money on a maxon od808 ( i wouldnt say blew cuz imo its one of my fav overdrives)

Both are better.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Anyone know what is a very good and trasparant distortion pedal ? (not overdrive)
cuz theres no gain knob on the VM and sometimes i need a boost with a different config...thus i need something to tweak and theres no way i can run over to the amp during a song to do that
27mMoV31II7.a2
save up for an attenuator. Its worth it for an amp like the VM.

if not look at some tone bone pedals. The plexi one is awesome.

Or the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

or the OCD can act like a transparent light distortion pedal. Its name is Obsessive Compulsive Distortion
Last edited by mexican_shred at Aug 8, 2009,
ya i heard the radial pedals are sick but its also 300 bucks ><

what does an attenuator do ? like makes the volume go down so u can crank the tubes without getting too loud?

also which do you recommend
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
ya i heard the radial pedals are sick but its also 300 bucks ><

what does an attenuator do ? like makes the volume go down so u can crank the tubes without getting too loud?

also which do you recommend

Thats the jist of it. Its basically a dummy load so you can crank the power tubes. Some people say it colors your tone, but imo its not drastic enough to be called coloring. Some professional artist will even use some on their rig for earlier PT saturation.

Weber and THD make good ones. I've only had exp with the THD though.
Quote by Antimage27
Anyone know what is a very good and trasparant distortion pedal ? (not overdrive)
cuz theres no gain knob on the VM and sometimes i need a boost with a different config...thus i need something to tweak and theres no way i can run over to the amp during a song to do that
The body and detail are both gain knobs but control different frequencies and give you more control as opposed to just one gain knob.

I don't get what you mean by "hard to tweak," if you mean hard to get a sound you like out of it, it may just mean that you don't like the way the amp is supposed to sound? I mean, if you're looking for a Mesa kind or tone or something, you're probably not going to get it. Or you're not using a good cab with it, but the VM cab is actually one of the best cabs that Marshall offers...

Also, you should not need a "transparent" overdrive pedal, the dynamic ranges are footswitchable. And I honestly could not believe someone needing more gain than the high dynamic range provides. Even the low dynamic range was too much for me...

Even though it's not exactly a single channel Marshall nor does it really sound like an old Marshall, it's still designed to work like an old single channel Marshall. So make on the fly using your your guitar. This is what I do with my plexi head. I tune the amp for the neck pickup, add enough bass so that it's round and full, but not boomy, and add enough treble so that I have good definition and detail and go from there. If I want a brighter sound, I switch the bridge, if it's too bright based on how I set the amp for the neck, I roll off the tone on my bridge pickup down to 7 or 8. If I want that brightness back, I roll it back up. Subtle changes in tone dial tweaking can make a big difference, it can take the harshness off and still leave a nice, coherent, high end. To clean your tone up, roll back the volume on your guitar. To use amps like the VM effectively, you have to know how to use your guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by al112987
The body and detail are both gain knobs but control different frequencies and give you more control as opposed to just one gain knob.

I don't get what you mean by "hard to tweak," if you mean hard to get a sound you like out of it, it may just mean that you don't like the way the amp is supposed to sound? I mean, if you're looking for a Mesa kind or tone or something, you're probably not going to get it. Or you're not using a good cab with it, but the VM cab is actually one of the best cabs that Marshall offers...

Also, you should not need a "transparent" overdrive pedal, the dynamic ranges are footswitchable. And I honestly could not believe someone needing more gain than the high dynamic range provides. Even the low dynamic range was too much for me...

Even though it's not exactly a single channel Marshall nor does it really sound like an old Marshall, it's still designed to work like an old single channel Marshall. So make on the fly using your your guitar. This is what I do with my plexi head. I tune the amp for the neck pickup, add enough bass so that it's round and full, but not boomy, and add enough treble so that I have good definition and detail and go from there. If I want a brighter sound, I switch the bridge, if it's too bright based on how I set the amp for the neck, I roll off the tone on my bridge pickup down to 7 or 8. If I want that brightness back, I roll it back up. Subtle changes in tone dial tweaking can make a big difference, it can take the harshness off and still leave a nice, coherent, high end. To clean your tone up, roll back the volume on your guitar. To use amps like the VM effectively, you have to know how to use your guitar.

sick info brother
thanks !
do you think i need an attenuator ?
27mMoV31II7.a2
ah... well, perhaps... maybe not if you can get a tone that you like from it without it.

IIRC the VM has a pretty good PPI master volume control, and attenuating down big levels is going to rob the amp of dynamics, and compress the sound quite a bit. Honestly, whether or not that is going to be any better than just using the master volume is going to be a matter of taste...