Ok so the other day I noticed that my Les Paul makes a loud obnoxious popping sound whenever i strike the E string. It only happens when the pick up selector is on Rhythym and the amp is played clean. The overdrive on my amp and my pedal are not affected by the pop. My amp is a Marshal MG15 and the guitar is an Orville Les Paul K-model. I did just swap out the strings on it, i was curious to see what super slinkys sounded like. Could that be it? What about my volume and equalizer settings? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe Your P-ups are too high
My Gear:
- ESP Eclipse II FR
- Epiphone Les Paul
- Prudencio Saez Classical
- Marshall MG 30WattDFX
- Boss MT-2
- Ibanez TS9
- Dunlop Slash Crybaby
- Boss CH-2
Quote by shmameltoe
Ok so the other day I noticed that my Les Paul makes a loud obnoxious popping sound whenever i strike the E string. It only happens when the pick up selector is on Rhythym and the amp is played clean. The overdrive on my amp and my pedal are not affected by the pop. My amp is a Marshal MG15 and the guitar is an Orville Les Paul K-model. I did just swap out the strings on it, i was curious to see what super slinkys sounded like. Could that be it? What about my volume and equalizer settings? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh no, you shouldn't have said that.

*awaits flame storm*
You're now using super slinkys (.09s) and hear popping on the high E on the bridge position? I'm going to guess you use super-heavy picks, if not "super" then at least heavy.

It's likely the popping is just you hitting the high E with your heavy pick on a very light string. You can lower the pup so it won't pick up your pick as much but that's just something you'll have to work with or use a lighter pick.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Brian 1.0
You're now using super slinkys (.09s) and hear popping on the high E on the bridge position? I'm going to guess you use super-heavy picks, if not "super" then at least heavy.

It's likely the popping is just you hitting the high E with your heavy pick on a very light string. You can lower the pup so it won't pick up your pick as much but that's just something you'll have to work with or use a lighter pick.

Oops sorry i meant the low E string makes the popping sound.
Quote by In The Mist
Oh no, you shouldn't have said that.

*awaits flame storm*

hey hey hey, dont hate on my amp. The MG 15 was the best 50 bucks i've ever spent
Quote by shmameltoe
hey hey hey, dont hate on my amp. The MG 15 was the best 50 bucks i've ever spent

Is...is that some sort of sick joke? I actually gave the MG a chance the other day at the store, and on the clean channel I was thinking "Hey now, this isn't all that horrible". Then I hit the overdrive button and it raped my ears.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
tap the pickup without touching the strings does it still "pop"

negative, no pop when i tap the pick up.
Well it just sounds like your string, when vibrating, it making contact with the pup or it's pole.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars