If i put a clean boost in between my guitar and amp to amplify the input into the amp itself to make it break up more then knock the master volume down. Basically so i can drive my amp even more with the gain turned up without having to play really loud?
Driving the amp with a boost will only push the preamp. The Master controls the power amp volume.

So no, this won't work, not if "breaking up" is pertaining to power tube distortion.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you're using a tube amp, it'll drive your preamp a little harder.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I thought the preamp tubes did all the distortion and the power amp tubes just boosted the signal to drive the speakers?
Quote by sleazydan
I thought the preamp tubes did all the distortion and the power amp tubes just boosted the signal to drive the speakers?

Nope.

When saturated, power tubes provide fatness and harmonic richness to the sound.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
yes, but power tubes do also "break up" as preamp tubes do, just at a higher volume.

addendum: i'm calling it "breaking up", but the post above me explains what power tube "break up" sounds like.

you can get more gain out of the preamp by using a clean boost to get higher gain than what your pre section will currently allow, but there most likely be a tad bit of tone coloration.