Does one metal show differ from another?

For example, is a Slayer show more dangerous than an Opeth show? Is a Mastodon show more friendly than a Cannibal Corpse show? Is a pit at a Meshuggah show hungrier than a Cynic pit? etc. etc.
Oddly, the most violent pits I experienced were an an Opeth show.

I've never been to an unfriendly Metal show, they do vary of course. Thrash shows are very much the hyperactive ones, quite aggressive, but friendly enough. I went to see Gojira and In Flames, and since that was a more Melodeath crowd, it was quite relaxed, but not for Gojira, they brought out fists and fury.

get to the front row and it's always good though. Unless you're at one of those perverted Deathcore shows where the band spits on you.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by macaroni
Depends on the crowd.

+1

And the venue, or at least thats a perspective thing. All smaller shows ive been to always seem to be much more active and involved.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Elton John has a pretty rough crowd.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Someone told me Bach sounded like crap.

Quote by Minkaro
What a dick, right? Skid Row are awesome
they all kind of dangerous, but i think most, not all, of the people know its all in fun and dont actually try to hurt anyone
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
If you fall, everyone I've seen picks you up. The most violent pit I've seen was at a Slayer show. A guy was walking around the circle pit punching people in the face. It was my first concert so I was in the stands lmao.
What kids call hardcore these days are more dangerous than metal shows, but really it all depends on the band. Seriously, I went to see Napalm Death live and the pits were just fun etc etc where yes I am a Parkway Drive man that pushing mosh and the HxC dancing just ticks me off to extremes. But yeah at metal shows they pick you up when you fall, don't worry you'll be fine. My first moshpit was to Profugus Mortis now known as Blackguard and taht was hella fun.
I drink your milkshake.
Quote by SeveredSurvival
What kids call hardcore these days are more dangerous than metal shows, but really it all depends on the band. Seriously, I went to see Napalm Death live and the pits were just fun etc etc where yes I am a Parkway Drive man that pushing mosh and the HxC dancing just ticks me off to extremes. But yeah at metal shows they pick you up when you fall, don't worry you'll be fine. My first moshpit was to Profugus Mortis now known as Blackguard and taht was hella fun.

If HxC dancing is associated with hardcore shows (obviously >_>, then how does one dance at a metal show? Honestly I have only been to hardcore shows.
Quote by Royal Celebi
If HxC dancing is associated with hardcore shows (obviously >_>, then how does one dance at a metal show? Honestly I have only been to hardcore shows.

You mosh.

Now, most people think moshes are for big guys who beat small babies up. ACtually, a proper mosh is just running in circles, shoving, getting pumped, and if someone falls, you pick them up or you're generally kicked from the mosh by others.

Anyways, to the OP, grind shows and old-school hardcore punk shows are the only violent moshes I've ever seen. They just beat each other up because they think they're cool.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Rarely meet nobheads at metal shows these days, usually a great buzz at smaller gigs over here.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Opeth was surprisingly violent.

Who the hell crowdsurfs to Credence?
Basically you never know what to expect
I'm not a big mosher myself. Last time I actually did it was last year at Gigantour and I lost my fucking glasses.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by The Frayed Ends
I'm not a big mosher myself. Last time I actually did it was last year at Gigantour and I lost my fucking glasses.

I'm sorry but unless you are almost legally blind, there is no need for glasses at a show. I never wear mine to shows, and I haev AWFUL vision, like 30/40 or something.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I'm sorry but unless you are almost legally blind, there is no need for glasses at a show. I never wear mine to shows, and I haev AWFUL vision, like 30/40 or something.

Yeah, it was a mistake on my part. I still wear them to gigs as long as I'm not on the floor.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Most metal concerts/festivals I've been to haven't been violent at all; the atmosphere is always really friendly, and you often make new friends (especially when you mosh). As everyone before me has said, the pit differs depending on the band. For instance, the pits at a Suffocation concert I went to (not Summer Slaughter, long time ago) were friendlier than many other concerts which had less "extreme" bands. (think Opeth, etc.)
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat