I've been playing for about 9 months, I'm totally self-taught (never had lesson). I have progressed quite a bit but I'm kind of stuck here. I play almost only Death Metal and I enjoy the occasional Jazz jamming too.

I know some theory, a few chords, a few scales, I know how harmonics work both on the fretboard, pinch harmonics, I know the notes on the fretboard and where to find them, I know how tunings work. I know how powerchords work and how they're basically ****ed E chords w/ the barré. My picking hand is not really up to par but lots of tremolo picking, string skipping and running scales one string apart will help me out quickly with that.

I have two videos up on Youtube that kind of show my abilities at this moment -
Gorguts - Waste of Mortality cover
Behemoth - Prometherion (I failed in the beginning but it gets better).

What the hell should I start learning? Scales? Chords? What can I do to progress to "higher levels"? Or should I just pick up lessons and go on from there? Does anyone have any tips or lessons they can reccomend?

Peace,
Eryth

ps. I have absolutely no ****ing clue about diminished things and tritone intervals and whatnot, would that be a good place to start off?
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 7, 2009,
Learn to play some Blues, it will teach you alot about phrasing and will help you develop a good vibrato. Listen to some blues players sych as BB King, Joe Bonamasa, Jeff Beck, Robert cray etc and learn some of their licks.Go onyoutube and get some blues backing tracks up and practise using those licks over the backing tracks. Once you get comfy with that start adapting those licks and make up your own to use.

Also get a book on music theory and start learning your basics like Note values, Time sigs, Major and minor scales and chord formation.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 7, 2009,
if your into death metal, i would say focus on your picking hand for a long time. i have been working on mine for almost a year now and it has improved a lot i can play a lot of faster songs like silent night bodom night - CoB. < thats fast to me. but yea, i think that the picking hand has a lot to do with metal music and how its played.
definitly learn scales and chords!!! also learn to fingerpick with as many fingers as you can (most people only learn with 2 or 3, but try 4!!! (it's hard))

ryan Wiesen (lildude_6859)
Quote by misfitsramones
if your into death metal, i would say focus on your picking hand for a long time. i have been working on mine for almost a year now and it has improved a lot i can play a lot of faster songs like silent night bodom night - CoB. < thats fast to me. but yea, i think that the picking hand has a lot to do with metal music and how its played.

First off I wouldn't call CoB death metal and not to be a bitch or anything but Silent NIght Bodom Night isn't that fast IMO - I started trem. picking when I was about 1 month into guitar playing (learned it with Misirlou, deff a reccommended for people wondering what to practise with), if you want a good "advanced" song (well more of a riff) with tremolo picking look into Born in Sodom from Dying Fetus, I still can't really do the string skipping part in the 1st riff cleanly.

Also, expand my musical range, what exactly does that mean? That I have to listen to different types of music? I would say I'm pretty diverse, I listen to things ranging from Cryptopsy to James Brown to Morbid Angel to Gustav Holst. It's just that I started playing the guitar becuase I wanted to play Death Metal because that is the music that is absolutely within my soul.

@griffRG7321 thanks for the tips, I'll certainly look into BB King's work, I always enjoyed the songs I heard from him. Also I will learn more scales and chords. But, how does one exaclty go about learning scales? Now I just run it up and down the fretboard ascending and descending going up whole notes until I reach the 24th fret with a metronome @ 150bpm doing 8ths, and faster if I feel like it. Is there a better way? Any tips?
Last edited by Eryth at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Eryth

@griffRG7321 thanks for the tips, I'll certainly look into BB King's work, I always enjoyed the songs I heard from him. Also I will learn more scales and chords. But, how does one exaclty go about learning scales? Now I just run it up and down the fretboard ascending and descending going up whole notes until I reach the 24th fret with a metronome @ 150bpm doing 8ths, and faster if I feel like it. Is there a better way? Any tips?

You don't need to learn many scales, start off by learning the major scale and how it is formed, learn your intervals and scale degrees etc. If you learn the notes on your guitar neck you can start practising using this scale all over the neck, practise improvising using the scale and aim to use the whole neck.

Do the same with the minor scale.

I'd reccomend getting a theory book. The AB guide to music theory is one i'd reccomend.
Quote by Eryth
First off I wouldn't call CoB death metal and not to be a bitch or anything but Silent NIght Bodom Night isn't that fast IMO - I started trem. picking when I was about 1 month into guitar playing (learned it with Misirlou, deff a reccommended for people wondering what to practise with), if you want a good "advanced" song (well more of a riff) with tremolo picking look into Born in Sodom from Dying Fetus, I still can't really do the string skipping part in the 1st riff cleanly.

Also, expand my musical range, what exactly does that mean? That I have to listen to different types of music? I would say I'm pretty diverse, I listen to things ranging from Cryptopsy to James Brown to Morbid Angel to Gustav Holst. It's just that I started playing the guitar becuase I wanted to play Death Metal because that is the music that is absolutely within my soul.

ouch dude he was trying to help you and you throw it in his face that your faster than him. this is just me. but you come off as playing guitar only so you can brag about it. play for yourself is the best tip i could give you
Quote by yabes24
ouch dude he was trying to help you and you throw it in his face that your faster than him. this is just me. but you come off as playing guitar only so you can brag about it. play for yourself is the best tip i could give you

I was afraid of that but I absolutely didn't want to come off as mean, it was just a little useless I guess. Seriously. I couldn't care about how good I actually am for the time I've been playing. Everyone has their learning curves of course. No offense meant of course