Hey everyone,

So I've been able to play pinch harmonics for about 5 years now so I know how to do them. But for some reason whenever I play my guitar thru my marshall TSL can't get them. But I have no problems getting them on my small digital multi effect pedal run into my practice amp. I have no idea why I can't get them when playing thru my marshall, I try to get them everywhere but I can never get that mad squealing sound. The best I can seem to get is like a semi-harmonic. Not that proper harmonic sound... if that makes sense.

Could this be a set-up problem? Should I raise the pickups a bit for higher output? I'm not really sure what part of the guitar adjusts the harmonics, so I'm just guessing here.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
No its just harder thru some amps because the distortion is different. It just doesnt work as well on some
I actually noticed the same problem with a DSL 401. When you try, does your harmonic sound almost muffled?
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
You probably suck at pinch harmonics

Shutup...

It's just because of the different type of distortion.

Play your pedal through the Marshall and you should be able to get it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
what kind of multieffects pedal is it?
IF its an RP50 or similar, I use rectifier distortion, treble set at 8 and my bridge pickup.

Of course, I'm lucky enough to have a dime-o-tone which makes my high end scorch.
No. A pinch harmonic is still a pinch harmonic if you're not even plugged into an amp. Therefore you should be able to perform it as well on an ENGL invader as you can on a Fender Blues JR.'
Some setups will produce them better, but you should be able to get them still. U can even hear them on a acoustic.
you'll probably have to try doing it in a different position on the guitar, for instance closer to the bridge then normal or farther from it.., just keep looking cause it changes with your distortion and settings.. but that being said, you can still get them unplugged so its not a pure distortion thing.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
No. A pinch harmonic is still a pinch harmonic if you're not even plugged into an amp. Therefore you should be able to perform it as well on an ENGL invader as you can on a Fender Blues JR.'

A Pinch harmonic is a Pinch Harmonic, but some sounds pick up Pinch/harmonics better then others.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Try running an overdrive in front of your amp. It should tighten up the saggy lower end and give you better harmonics.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Hmmm they are all valid points. What really baffles me is that i never used to have any trouble at all when using my tsl. And i often see other guitarists using a tsl or dsl and they have no problems either. Perhaps i just need to practice using my tsl more often. They certainly are much easier on my multi effect pedal!
I know exactly what you are talking about OP. I can crank off ridiculous pinch harmonics through my Digitech GNX4 on the high gain patches, but as soon as I play through my Marshall TSL 100 I lose at least 50% of the harmonic. It is much more difficult for some reason on a Marshall TSL, but still very possible. You really do have to perfect your technique though. I am waiting on a maxon OD808 pedal right now and am hoping that helps out not only tightening the gain, but increasing the harmonics.
Quote by wakytabaki
Must just be the marshall. Guess I'll have to use it more often!

It's not just the Amp, Plug In a nice pedal and you'll get Pinch harmonics sweeter then Lance Armstrong's right testicle...

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by wakytabaki
What really baffles me is that i never used to have any trouble at all when using my tsl.

This just screams "old tubes" to me. Tubes will lose treble, gain, and harmonics when they're reaching the end of their usable life.
^ yeah, if it's something which has just started to happen, you gotta start looking at things which have changed/which are likely to wear out, etc. Tubes probably the first place to look. Strings wouldn't hurt either, but i doubt they'd make a major difference- new strings will be brighter, but it shouldn't be the difference between being able to do a pinch or not...

Quote by xMetalCoreKingx

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The tubes are pretty worn. Probably on their way out. It would explain why I never used to have any trouble getting mad pinch harmonics.

Out of interest, what are the signs of tubes wearing out or blowing entirely?
trouble getting pinch harmonics.

Kidding. I'm not sure, my tubes haven't died on me yet, apparently it should be pretty obvious though as they sound noticeably worse. colin/roc will be able to help you with that, he knows his stuff about tubes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by wakytabaki
Hey everyone,

So I've been able to play pinch harmonics for about 5 years now so I know how to do them. But for some reason whenever I play my guitar thru my marshall TSL can't get them. But I have no problems getting them on my small digital multi effect pedal run into my practice amp. I have no idea why I can't get them when playing thru my marshall, I try to get them everywhere but I can never get that mad squealing sound. The best I can seem to get is like a semi-harmonic. Not that proper harmonic sound... if that makes sense.

Could this be a set-up problem? Should I raise the pickups a bit for higher output? I'm not really sure what part of the guitar adjusts the harmonics, so I'm just guessing here.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Don't raise the pick ups that much that adds bass and that takes aways from the pinch you're wanting. I have my bridge pick up neutral and my neck pick up high.
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
Quote by biga29

Shutup...

It's just because of the different type of distortion.

Play your pedal through the Marshall and you should be able to get it.

He's right, you know.

I can play Pinch Harmonics on an acoustic guitar. You can do 'mad squealies' with gain at like 2-3 on any amp. Keep practicing pinch harmonics.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
He's right, you know.

I can play Pinch Harmonics on an acoustic guitar. You can do 'mad squealies' with gain at like 2-3 on any amp. Keep practicing pinch harmonics.

Oh my God... I know it's possible to do "mad squealies" on an acoustic, but it just doesn't sound as good as with a nice amp/pedals/pickups/ etc... And I don't care how good you think you are, I know what I'm talkin' about. If you don't believe me I'll go record it...

And the dude I told to shut up was being a dick..
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Aug 9, 2009,
I was actually having the same trouble today. I raised my pickups and it totally fixed my problem. Changed my tone for the beter too. Give that a shot.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
I just raised my pickups and it is heaps easier to get awesome pinch harmonics. I think that solved the problem, although I'm not too sure why... Either way, they're easier now and the guitar sounds heaps better... at least for rock and metal.

thanks everyone!
For the best pinch harmonics, you're going to have to use your bridge pickup and a lot of distortion. I'm not going to try and explain how to do them, because it's extremely difficult to do so. Just experiment. A good tip is to have a very small amount of plectrum hitting the strings, have your fingers close to the end. You should be playing squealies in no time.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Down tuning helps, if its an option. I get a totally badass pinch harmonic in drop C.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.