Hi guys, sorry to start another cliche thread, but I'm buying a new amp and want to do it right.
I play alot of classic rock, a little blues and grunge, I'd have to say that if there was a tone a wanted, it'd be knopfler's tone in brothers in arms, to give some perspective.
Currently I have a Marshall MG10CD, which is pretty crap to be honest, doesn't have adjustable treb/mid/bass or anything. This amp will be mainly for bedroom practice, but also some small gigs, so I don't think that I'll need anything bigger than 50Watts?
I'm also leaning down the solid state path, I'd never have my amp loud enough to justify tubes, plus theres the replacing of them aswell.
My budget is around the NZ$500-700 mark, (approx. US $300 - 500) but I could stretch further. Based on this , which amp would you recommend?
many thanks in advance
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Quote by espguitar//
where abouts in NZ u live?

Auckland
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
I'm currently buying a Mesa Rectoverb, that'd fit what you play, but as you said, your price range is a bit limited.
I'd go for a Line 6 Spider Valve; it's tube, and not as good as a Mesa, but it suits practically any style of music. The cost is about US$600. But if you want a SS amp, then a Line 6 Spider III 75 would do rather well; it's the same thing, just solid-state. Costs about US$300.
Good luck, and tell us what you find!
Thanks for the suggestion, I wish I could afford a mesa! I see Spider III's copping alot of flak, is this justified? alot of people seem to dislike them.
spider 3's are VERY digital and get almost 0 warmth to their tone. Also super whiney at high volumes. I woudlnt reccomend one and i own one. Personally id say a classic 30 would fit you just fine. In your price range and has the abiltiy to do warm classic rock and with some assistance from a fuzz or od pedal you could get great grunge tones out of it. However it is a tube amp. As for solid state maybe a vox valvetronix. Its part tube part solid state so you dont have to turn it up as lound for the distortion to really kick in but all in all a solid amp that is very versitile.
~Defiant~
If you could go used, a Crate Palomino would be very nice. Its tube, but you could get one of the lower watt versions.
For what you need, look at the Vox AC-4TV. It is tube, but quiet enough to play at home as it has 0.25w setting. It covers classic rock and blues with great ease and some grunge - but all grunge with a pedal. It is relatively cheap, even in Kiwiland. Also, it is a very good amp with a Strat (I used to own both!).

Good luck.......
Quote by southpaw91
Hi guys, sorry to start another cliche thread, but I'm buying a new amp and want to do it right.
I play alot of classic rock, a little blues and grunge, I'd have to say that if there was a tone a wanted, it'd be knopfler's tone in brothers in arms, to give some perspective.
Currently I have a Marshall MG10CD, which is pretty crap to be honest, doesn't have adjustable treb/mid/bass or anything. This amp will be mainly for bedroom practice, but also some small gigs, so I don't think that I'll need anything bigger than 50Watts?
I'm also leaning down the solid state path, I'd never have my amp loud enough to justify tubes, plus theres the replacing of them aswell.
My budget is around the NZ$500-700 mark, (approx. US $300 - 500) but I could stretch further. Based on this , which amp would you recommend?
many thanks in advance

ah, another Knopfler fan
The amp knopfler used on Brothers In Arms (the track, not the full album) was a Marshall JTM. this obviously way out of your price range, on the rest of the album he used various Mesa heads through marshall cabs... once again way too expensive.

the closest thing i've ever found that will get near knopfler tone without requiring $2000 for an amp head is the Vox AC15, or AC30. AC15 is 15 watts, but surprisingly loud, the AC30 is 30 watts... insanely loud however. If you want knopfler's tone steer WELL clear from solid state. you went get within miles of the kind of tone he has. or the stuff you listed, tube is the only way to go. you don't need to play excessively loud to get good tone from a tube. just get one lower than 50 watts like you said, or put a power brake on it to lower the wattage.

so, anyways. I recommend you a Vox AC15 or a Vox AC30. both should cost around $500 used. I own an AC30, and it's by far my favorite amp. I've also got a fender Deluxe Reverb, and will soon buy a Dr. Z amp head, but i don't think anything will replace my AC30 for favorite amp. it covers all the bases and has unbelievable tone. you can get gorgeous sparkling clean tones like what you'd hear on Sultans of Swing, and it can get the dirty roar you hear in Money For Nothing.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
ah, another Knopfler fan
The amp knopfler used on Brothers In Arms (the track, not the full album) was a Marshall JTM. this obviously way out of your price range, on the rest of the album he used various Mesa heads through marshall cabs... once again way too expensive.

the closest thing i've ever found that will get near knopfler tone without requiring $2000 for an amp head is the Vox AC15, or AC30. AC15 is 15 watts, but surprisingly loud, the AC30 is 30 watts... insanely loud however. If you want knopfler's tone steer WELL clear from solid state. you went get within miles of the kind of tone he has. or the stuff you listed, tube is the only way to go. you don't need to play excessively loud to get good tone from a tube. just get one lower than 50 watts like you said, or put a power brake on it to lower the wattage.

so, anyways. I recommend you a Vox AC15 or a Vox AC30. both should cost around $500 used. I own an AC30, and it's by far my favorite amp. I've also got a fender Deluxe Reverb, and will soon buy a Dr. Z amp head, but i don't think anything will replace my AC30 for favorite amp. it covers all the bases and has unbelievable tone. you can get gorgeous sparkling clean tones like what you'd hear on Sultans of Swing, and it can get the dirty roar you hear in Money For Nothing.

Thanks for the advice, I've looked online though, and even second hand AC15's are outta my price range (we're talking NZ dollars remember) I can however afford an AD30, Do the AD series produce similar tones? again, thanks for all of your replies.

EDIT: AC4TV's are also within my price range as earlier suggested, but their output wattage is tiny. thoughts on these?
Last edited by southpaw91 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by southpaw91
Thanks for the advice, I've looked online though, and even second hand AC15's are outta my price range (we're talking NZ dollars remember) I can however afford an AD30, Do the AD series produce similar tones? again, thanks for all of your replies.

EDIT: AC4TV's are also within my price range as earlier suggested, but their output wattage is tiny. thoughts on these?

If you crank a AC4TV its still pretty damn loud. imo most gigs that I play at that require more power than a 5watt amp usually have a mic and PA set up.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by southpaw91

you're not looking hard enough. i purchased a used AC30 for $550. the conversion from CAN dollars to NZ dollars puts it in your price range.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you're not looking hard enough. i purchased a used AC30 for $550. the conversion from CAN dollars to NZ dollars puts it in your price range.

Flippin lucky man, I've been looking for an AC15 or AC30 and they're all barely marked down from the new prices.

However TS, I thought the Valvetronix series was pretty nice for the price. As for your tube delemma, changing them would only be if you played 4 hour shows and cranked that amp all the way up. You can easily get a couple years out of tubes and replacing them isn't that hard (unless you buy an amp that needs to be rebiased ever tube change) but you can always take it to a pro.

My suggestions:

valvetronix series from vox
fender blues jr NOS tweed series
an egnater
vox ac15 (the one with warfdales is $600 if you can stretch your budget)
used carvin amp
I've seen used Mesa F-30's around for $5-600

That's all in USD prices
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Cheers for more suggestions. Don't get me wrong Lt. Shinysides but for example currently on trademe (nz's version of ebay) I see:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-234649641.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-233886010.htm

here endeth all AC30's for sale lol.

AC15:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-233796533.htm

Gibshall: like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-234532990.htm

Oh and do any of you guys have an opinion on Crate or Epi amps? they seem to have a few valve models in my price range, eg the Crate 33W EL84. there's also the epi triggerman 60W 60DSP, but I have a feelign it's solid state?
Last edited by southpaw91 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by southpaw91
Cheers for more suggestions. Don't get me wrong Lt. Shinysides but for example currently on trademe (nz's version of ebay) I see:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-234649641.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-233886010.htm

here endeth all AC30's for sale lol.

AC15:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-233796533.htm

Gibshall: like this? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Guitar-amps/auction-234532990.htm

Oh and do any of you guys have an opinion on Crate or Epi amps? they seem to have a few valve models in my price range, eg the Crate 33W EL84. there's also the epi triggerman 60W 60DSP, but I have a feelign it's solid state?

Epi make pretty descent amps, as long as you can get a tube amp.