Is there any way to make a 1/4" to USB cable? Like I have some old instrument cables and usb cables and am wondering if i can put them together. Mainly so I can plug it into my computer. i know the obvious stuff: "use line in" I dont have a line-in. "buy a recording interface" no money. all I got is some wire cutters, spare cable for both parts and a soldering iron and solder.

thanks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
So there is no way to convert them? lol. I saw a cable like that online, so I was interested.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Can you link where you saw it?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Quote by apak
So there is no way to convert them? lol. I saw a cable like that online, so I was interested.
Yes, there is. A to D converter, serial buss interface circuit.

Quote by apak
all I got is some wire cutters, spare cable for both parts and a soldering iron and solder.
not gonna happen.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak

Come on......you can't be serious...?

If you could slice a vinyl record down small enough to fit in your CD player, would you expect it to work?
Quote by apak

It's not just a cable, it's an A/D convertor. I really don't think it's that expensive...but you're right, you might be better off buying a used interface of some kind.

I sold an M-Audio delta44 a while back for 50 bucks....
Quote by Metalhead_28

If you could slice a vinyl record down small enough to fit in your CD player, would you expect it to work?

actually he's right. there is a usb audio interface that is a cable with usb on one end and 1/4in on the other. of course the stuff in between the connectors is the important bit since it's not really a cable, it's a usb interface. http://www.soundtech.com/products/home-recording/stusbg10/

Is there any way to make a 1/4" to USB cable? Like I have some old instrument cables and usb cables and am wondering if i can put them together. Mainly so I can plug it into my computer. i know the obvious stuff: "use line in" I dont have a line-in. "buy a recording interface" no money. all I got is some wire cutters, spare cable for both parts and a soldering iron and solder.

you could splice a usb to 1/4in cable together but i'd quickly abandon any hope that it would work, cus it wont. one sends analog, the other receives digital. without something in between it just wont work.
yes, you go to radioshack and buy one.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
it will work, you will be sending guitar sounds to your pc!
it just wont recognise it.

because as its been said before, they are 2 very differant signals.

i have a usb line-in. works great.
just costs money :\
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
only thing with that, is (most of the time) you have to turn your output DOWN so far... sounds realy bad...
either that or just fuzzy/crackley

thats why i got my usb line-in
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Invader Jim
If you're wanting to plug a guitar into your comp, jsut plug into the sound card. Good quality and te sound card works as an a/d converter.

i have used a line-in before and it was pretty good. Problem is, I don't have on on this computer, nor do I have a mic. Mic input makes it sounds weird.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Sounds great to me. Listen to my mp3s. All done with an rp-7 valve straight into my soundcard.

I used Nero 6 to record them so I could tell where to set the volume.
Quote by Metalhead_28

I like you.

Why even use an amp for a guitar?
Just splice a lamp cord to your speaker terminals and guitar lead and plug it into the wall!

But srsly, apak, there are plenty of ways to solve this problem. All of them cost a bit of money if you don't have a proper sound card, but they don't have to break the bank.

You have a mic input? Try that. Just turn the volume on your guitar down.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I like you.

Why even use an amp for a guitar?
Just splice a lamp cord to your speaker terminals and guitar lead and plug it into the wall!

wow, that'd give you around 15-20 amps!
Quote by Comrade Curry

i'm afraid it might blow up on me
anyways. i just spent $25 on a super distortion today and over $30 on electronics a few days back, so I gotta get to saving again for an interface or decent tuner.. I'll probably buy a used m-audio fast track since I can't make a USB to 1/4".. Dang it, I was so hopeful for this (but skeptical at the same time).
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack