I've recently been looking at some Dr. Z amplifiers, but i am having a little bit of trouble deciding between their combos and the heads. They will be used mostly for small venues and if i need to play a big area, i can just mic it, so volume is not an issue, im concerned more about the tone and value for money. My styles are rock, country, blues, hard rock, and a bit of folk so a good sparkling clean is very important to me.

the equipment that i will be using with it will be
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Standard Stratocaster, maple neck
Dynacomp compressor
fuzzface overdrive pedal (only if i'm not in an area where i can naturally overdrive it due to volume requirements)
Dunlop Crybaby.

If owners of either of these amps could give me a little bit of a review on their experience with the amp, quality, price paid, volume, customer service, tone, pros and cons, etc. It would be fantastic.
first off, based on your styles you've picked a great amp. I've played the 18 and I own a 38 with reverb. I got mine used for $1300. So far I couldnt be happier with the tone. The knobs have sweet spots all around and its hard to go wrong. There's even a tone chart online with a bunch of suggested settings for certain sounds, which I can give you a link to if you want. The quality is deffinitely all american boutique.

The 18 is a bit thinner sounding than the 38, but thats to be expected from a lower watt version of an amp. Of course the 18 is still a great amp and I'd recommend it over and over again. obviously the 18 will give less headroom than the 38. You'll be plenty loud and clean though if you keep the volume lower than 12 o'clock especially if you're gonna mic it. I havent had experience with their customer service since I only got the amp about a month ago and the shop I got it at are very knowledgeable about these amps so I dont see myself ever really needing to get help from Dr. Z himself, but im sure the service is no less than excellent.

Honestly if I were you I would go to the Dr. Z forum and go into the Maz 18 section and read every thread. These people really have a cult-like belief in their Z amps lol

one of many credits to the Z name is obviously that Brad Paisley plays them and his tone is amazing. The most important thing, though, is that you find a place where you can play one because that will tell you more about it than me or any person on a forum can tell you.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
first off, based on your styles you've picked a great amp. I've played the 18 and I own a 38 with reverb. I got mine used for $1300. So far I couldnt be happier with the tone. The knobs have sweet spots all around and its hard to go wrong. There's even a tone chart online with a bunch of suggested settings for certain sounds, which I can give you a link to if you want. The quality is deffinitely all american boutique.

The 18 is a bit thinner sounding than the 38, but thats to be expected from a lower watt version of an amp. Of course the 18 is still a great amp and I'd recommend it over and over again. obviously the 18 will give less headroom than the 38. You'll be plenty loud and clean though if you keep the volume lower than 12 o'clock especially if you're gonna mic it. I havent had experience with their customer service since I only got the amp about a month ago and the shop I got it at are very knowledgeable about these amps so I dont see myself ever really needing to get help from Dr. Z himself, but im sure the service is no less than excellent.

Honestly if I were you I would go to the Dr. Z forum and go into the Maz 18 section and read every thread. These people really have a cult-like belief in their Z amps lol

one of many credits to the Z name is obviously that Brad Paisley plays them and his tone is amazing. The most important thing, though, is that you find a place where you can play one because that will tell you more about it than me or any person on a forum can tell you.

yeah, i've played them in shops, but you really can't get the full feel when youre attempting to hear yourself over everyone else. thanks for the post though man, really helpful.