Page 1 of 2
I can never call friends to hang out with them, as I think they don't like me.
I can never bring up a good conversation, as I never have any stories to tell
I can never trust anyone. Everything someone says is a lie to me, until it is proven right.
EDIT: Also, I can never answer a door to my house, I can never answer a phone call, and I dislike purchasing stuff at stores.
Why Pit? WHY???
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
Last edited by SecretAgentS at Aug 7, 2009,
Socially Awkward Penguin thread is > That way.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by sneyob
Socially Awkward Penguin thread is > That way.

That doesn't tell me why.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
You forgot to mention your age.

Edit: As a matter of fact, you forgot to mention a single thing about yourself, except the social anxiety.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by SecretAgentS
That doesn't tell me why.

'Twas a joke.

Everyone is socially awkward,
you just need to pretend you're not when around other people.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
You too? Join the club. Any social situation about kills me. I don't have an explanation for it though.
Hold the Heathen hammer high!
I would tell you why, but I just don't trust you...
TO = used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from

TWO = the number 2

TOO = in addition; also; furthermore; to an excessive extent or degree
You obviously have a social anxiety disorder that prevents you from functioning normally. I used to have one myself, until I got on proper medication to help me deal with this. I suggest you do the same.
Sounds like social anxiety disorder. Go see a doctor and get some meds.

...Or you could try that cognitive therapy crap.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
you have to relax man. enjoy life, it's full of colors and beauty and hilariousness. you have no stories to tell because you never go out. so go out. do stuff. see things. become interesting. obviously you play guitar. start a band, get some stories to tell.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Quote by Inertiatic_GHS
You obviously have a social anxiety disorder that prevents you from functioning normally. I used to have one myself, until I got on proper medication to help me deal with this. I suggest you do the same.

Dont listen to this guy. Medication will only drag you further down, and is only a temporary solution.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Social anxiety is something that can be overcome, it isn't a permanent part of who you are.

I am a chronically shy person, but I overcome it at parties and whatnot, and it works out for the better. Just fight your anxiety, it works, if you are really determined to get rid of anxiety or control it.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by chaoticfables
You listen to Linkin Park, don't you?

oh u

Also, I know I will probably get the you're too young crap, but I'm 13.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
I used to be just like you, well I still kinda am just not as bad.

I just started to ignore the thoughts that I had (same ones you have) and eventually I started to not think about them at all. Now I am socially capable.
sigh...
Quote by SecretAgentS
I can never trust anyone. Everything someone says is a lie to me, until it is proven right.
EDIT: Also, I can never answer a door to my house, I can never answer a phone call, and I dislike purchasing stuff at stores.
Why Pit? WHY???

Because your main guitar is a Squier Strat.

Ok, to the first part, meet some new people, and use a totally different perspective when you do it. Don't think "omg they won't like me", because unless you're a complete douche (which you do not seem to be) there are bound to be people who match up with you personality-wise. Meeting new people can be done almost anywhere, but one of the easiest is to go to gigs, or maybe even start a band This might seem difficult in your sitch, but just do it and it'll be over. These new friends will lead to more stories to tell from when you're hanging around with them.

To your edit, I'm the same. But the answer is to just do it, and be really nice to people. You eventually start to enjoy random encounters with people.

Editofmyown: Lol, look at my wall of text in a flame thread. How darling.
Last edited by greenelephants at Aug 7, 2009,
^+****in' 1 to that
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Deflection
Dont listen to this guy. Medication will only drag you further down, and is only a temporary solution.

i would actually go to therapy on this one... (btw this is coming from a guy who has taken college psych classes, so not an expert, but know more than a good portion of people)
Last edited by yomoma21 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by sneyob

you just need to pretend you're not when around other people.

This is decent advice, actually. I'm fairly quiet in social situations as well, unless I'm around really close friends. I'm terrible at starting up conversations with people, I never know what to say. Just put on an act, essentially, that you're social, or at least average. That's what I do. I force myself to, and try to act like I'm normally like that.
Lack o' confidence. Stop hiding.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by Deflection

+1 Cognitive therapy is much better, if you wanna involve a professional. Personally, I think your best bet is to just force yourself to go out and you'll see that it's not so bad. Failing that, come up with some incentive to go outside. I guess you don't have much of a social life, but I'm sure you can find someone to hang out with
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Quote by SecretAgentS

Well, if you're never hanging out with your friends, how can you have stories to tell? You need to get out more.

Quote by SecretAgentS
I can never call friends to hang out with them, as I think they don't like me.?

If they gave you their phone number, they must like you enough to trust you with it. Give them a call.

Quote by SecretAgentS

This could be some kind of childhood issue...I used to have a hard time trusting people because of some family issues, but I'm getting past them now.

Quote by SecretAgentS

This just sounds like some kind of anxiety disorder. See a doctor.
Quote by SecretAgentS
Why Pit? WHY???

You descirbe me if you take out the edit and replace it with "And everybody thinks I'm/Calls me fat.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Also, to give you guys an example, when I was in a GC while on vacation(it was a rainy day) and I asked a question about some MiM strats. While I was talking to the salesman, I couldn't make eye contact, I stumbled on my words, and my palms get sweaty. It is like this for most encounters with strangers.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
I made a thread asking similar things.. I used to be a lot like you; trust me, it will get better..

what you've got to do is try and just make friends with a small group, and become better and better friends with them. That will give you a confidence in it's self and you'll become less scared of everything.

I used to never be able to talk to girls, and now some of my best friends are girls (yes, the majority of my friends are guys, but meh, it's progress)

every little step of progress is a victory; here's my thread, skim through for a bit of advice- it seriously helped/helps:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689752

just remember it isn't a quick fix, it'll be slow progress, but there will be a time were you'll look back on this time an laugh..

btw how old are you??
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by SecretAgentS
Also, to give you guys an example, when I was in a GC while on vacation(it was a rainy day) and I asked a question about some MiM strats. While I was talking to the salesman, I couldn't make eye contact, I stumbled on my words, and my palms get sweaty. It is like this for most encounters with strangers.

Right on! I can barely make eye contact with people I know,

ESPECIALLY WOMEN.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
Because TS's mother touches herself at night.

Fix'd

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
smoke weed. every day.
i always come to UG for a tab, but get sucked into the pit

[SoWrongItsMatt]Have you tried, "Sex on fire?"

[[x]Huffy[x]]Either way I'm gonna be too stoned to care.

what he said.^

i love qotsa

mymusic
enjoy it.
Join a club that you are really interested in and know a lot about. Or get a job, jobs force you to deal with all sorts of people, employees and craptomers (customers =P ) so you know which kinds to befriend and which to avoid.
We Are 138!

lol

Quote by JacobLampman
Right on! I can barely make eye contact with people I know,

ESPECIALLY WOMEN.

seriously for both of you, just don't think about it. When your talking to your guy friends or whoever, do you constantly keep eye contact? no, should be the answer.. Meeting new people is a really good way to get past this sort of things.. when I started sixth form, and new people came in, I got on a lot better with them and that's what you need I think..

It's good that you came here and asked when you're 13 btw TS.. I did it at 15 and missed out on a lot of laughs and stuff.. by the time your my age, I bet you are a really confident guy.. seriously, just let the thoughts go.

one I used to have was "god! what if they don't find me funny?!" and I wouldn't say anything to girls for fear of them not laughing, but the thing is, girls are really easy to make laugh, and they usually will laugh if your not funny.. just get a bit of a funny side, not like a written stand up act, but have a laugh with some people, and you'll get that reputation. you sound like an all right kid, and not a douche bag like most kids your age (yes I'm only 3 or 4 years older but meh) just be yourself(yes cliched) and have fun.. you only live once! (he says, playing xbox alone all night)..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by SecretAgentS

Don't worry about it man. If you think that's what will happen, it will.

I'll give you an example. Not long ago, I was walking down the street when this car pulled up. As it was getting closer, I was thinking "Oh no, I'm useless with directions, oh no, I'm going to look so stupid." I then proceed to fail at directing them to the college.

College >| |
________| |________________________

Next month, another car pulls up and I'm in a better mood, and think "Why get worked up, if I don't know i don't know." And as it turned out, I managed to direct them to a hotel I only had a rough idea about.

tl;dr - the key is mentality.
Last edited by greenelephants at Aug 7, 2009,
Page 1 of 2