Hey guys! im picking up a washburn dime boogiebolt lll tomorrow and i need a floyd question answered ASAP because i g2g bed in like 20 mins and im getting it tomorrow after work

the dude removed all the strings from the floyd because hes fat and now the bridge is fully laid back. but the spring tention should be good for standard e because he said thats what it was tuned to before he took them off

when i get there, to set it up super quick, would this be good?

( keep in mind i have never completely re-set a floyd )

1. pull the bridge fully up and stick a 9v battery in the place where it rests to keep it level with the body as if it has the tention holding it up

2. tune it as a normal hardtail, EADGBE.

3. pull on the whammy, remove the 9v battery.

4. am i done? or is something stupid gonna happen like all the strings snapping?\

thanks! hurry :P
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
well, what i do (i'm not saying it's right) is i leave the bridge flat, and let the string tension from putting it into tune keep the bridge floating
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
take the battery out, re-tune (this will take a while with new strings cause everytime you tune one string, it'll untune all the others, just be patient), once in tune, look to see if the brige is level with the body (on both sides) if it's tilted towards the headstock, tighten the strings a liitle on the side you checked, re-tune, check bridge again, repeat untill bridge is level and you're in tune, then lock the nuts, tune with fine tuners
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
well, what i do (i'm not saying it's right) is i leave the bridge flat, and let the string tension from putting it into tune keep the bridge floating

Really, you'd thing a string would be snapped. Thanks for the input, I might just try that
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
dont use a battery. all you have to do is stretch the strings as youre putting them in and tuning... like you should do with any guitar....
Quote by bmxsulli
dont use a battery. all you have to do is stretch the strings as youre putting them in and tuning... like you should do with any guitar....

using a battery or something to block the bridge from dropping into the cavity is helpfull if all the strings are being taken off. It helps get the proper length for your strings, and so you don't scratch your paint or worse when you have to tighten the saddle when putting on a new string
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
using a battery or something to block the bridge from dropping into the cavity is helpfull if all the strings are being taken off. It helps get the proper length for your strings, and so you don't scratch your paint or worse when you have to tighten the saddle when putting on a new string

Thanks, so... Do what I was plannin in doing? It doesn't need to be perfect, I just gotta make sure the neck is good, and everything works
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by allskillage
Thanks, so... Do what I was plannin in doing? It doesn't need to be perfect, I just gotta make sure the neck is good, and everything works

yup
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Have any of you ever blocked a floyd rose ever and tuned this way? If you had you would have known that if you tune up with a block in place, when he removes the block the strings will all go flat or sharp by the SAME AMOUNT, thus with adjustment of springs and with a block in you can tune a certain amount above or below every note and take it out... What you get is a FR thats close to in tune or if you're lucky or particularly good, thats perfectly there, haha.

Oh and it's inadvisable ever to let the bridge sit all the way back with the spring tension on it, it's not healthy for the studs, stud mounts, or knife edges, or the body. So... Don't do that
you'll have to hope you have the same gauge of strings he had.. but if you notice the bridge coming up higher as you try to keep it in tune then tighten the bolts attached to the springs, if its being pulled into the body then loosed the springs.
What does this have anything to do with him being fat?

Yeah, sounds about right to me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Zamorak
Have any of you ever blocked a floyd rose ever and tuned this way? If you had you would have known that if you tune up with a block in place, when he removes the block the strings will all go flat or sharp that

i block mine off, but only just long enough to put strings on in the right length like somebody else said before. then you remove the block and tune up. obviously if you leave the block in you'll be all out of tune when you take it out (depending on whether the block kept the bridge above or below it's normal position).

if you just want to make sure the neck and electronics are alright then you won't completely need to restring it. with a floyd that wouldn't be easy to do really quickly. it sucks he pulled the strings off while he's trying to sell it... i'm not sure why anybody would do that.