Page 1 of 2
^^
I just want to know so I can compare since I've almost been playing for a year now.
Sending a dummy to my God.

Don't bother, it's not worth comparing yourself to other people.

Just keep playing and progressing and you're doing fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It really doesnt matter. I know people that have been playing for 4 years and are amazing at rhythm, but can barely hold a pick, or people like me who have played for 5 months and can solo but cant play chords to save my life.
For the sake of the thread:

Walk With Me In Hell solo

More Time To Kill solo
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Always With Me Always With You - Joe Satriani
Sweet Child O' Mine - GNR
I'm Alright - Neil Zaza
Stairway to Heaven - Do I really have to say it?

And a few others
Honestly, teaching myself, the hardest solo I could play would be the main solo from comfortably numb. That was one hell of an achievement for me too.
2009 Gibson Explorer - 2008 Washburn Idol WI45f - 1965 MiJ Ibanez Salvador Classical
Bogner Alchemist 40w 1x12" - Marshall MG10CD
Another Brick in The Wall part 2 solo
Fade to Black intro solo
Smells Like Teen Spirit solo
It's my Life solo

And I am playing for 9 months now...
It doesnt matter if you can play it, it's how well you play it. A person who's been playing 10 years is going to sound better doing an easy solo than someone who's been playing 1 year.
Quote by larrytheguitar
For the sake of the thread:

Walk With Me In Hell solo

I'm learning that at the moment. I'm ok as far as the shred part at the end; that's when the fail police come a-knockin'. Learning that and the solo to Room For One More by Anthrax at the moment.
Jackson PDX Demmelition w/ EMG 81/85
Vintage Lemon Drop w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Dean Z Bubinga w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts

Blackstar HT-5 combo
Last edited by Rargh at Aug 8, 2009,
NEVER compare yourself with others....just play your music and get better for yourself...
Can't remember the name, I think it was 'searchbar' or something.

sorry i know where you're coming from you've just decided you don't feel like you're getting anywhere, or you just worked out a killer solo and feel proud, or you're pissed at yourself for not learning fast enough, or something like that?

Go through your CD collection or itunes or whatever, and find songs that you think have solos that sound wiithin your capability, maybe bluesy ones or something, and ones where it doesn't matter too much about your tone, just hitting the right notes. then learn some of them
Quote by tom1thomas1
Go through your CD collection or itunes or whatever, and find songs that you think have solos that sound wiithin your capability, maybe bluesy ones or something, and ones where it doesn't matter too much about your tone, just hitting the right notes. then learn some of them

Is the wrong answer.

Tone is ALWAYS important and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's only one reason you should concern yourself with what others do - to see if there's anything you can learn from them.

That's it though, comparing yourself with them is pointless because everybody learns different things at different speeds in a different order. The only certainty is that EVERY guitarist you come across, no matter what their ability or experience, is going to know something that you don't....it may only be one tiny thing, but there's always something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Doesn't Remind Me
Highway Star

I learned those about 3 months ago, but after that I stopped learning songs just for sake of learning songs, and started learning a lot more theory/scales/chords etc.

I have been playing for 8 months right now.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Better put on some boots... pretty sure it's getting pretty deep in this thread lol. After one year I had pretty much only played chords and learned the pentatonic scale about 11 months in, and I could play the You Shook Me All Night Long solo.
Playing guitar isn't really meant to be competitive. It's about playing music. What you can play and what you know and all that isn't really too important. It's how you play that counts. For instance, one of my friends can move his picking hand faster than me, but I can hit notes more accurately. Do I care that he can play sloppily at a faster rate? No. All that matters is: Who going to sound better? That's about as competitive as guitar gets. That, and those "Betcha Can't Play this" things.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Playing guitar isn't really meant to be competitive. It's about playing music. What you can play and what you know and all that isn't really too important. It's how you play that counts. For instance, one of my friends can move his picking hand faster than me, but I can hit notes more accurately. Do I care that he can play sloppily at a faster rate? No. All that matters is: Who going to sound better? That's about as competitive as guitar gets. That, and those "Betcha Can't Play this" things.

Sounds like someone who can't play trilogy by Malmsteen (shameless self plug)
To contradict everyone in this thread, I say you should always compare yourself to others so you can become a better guitarist. If you don't see that you aren't the best guitarist in your area, how can you ever improve? You need competition to become a better player.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
To contradict everyone in this thread, I say you should always compare yourself to others so you can become a better guitarist. If you don't see that you aren't the best guitarist in your area, how can you ever improve? You need competition to become a better player.

+1 When I was starting out I did improve a lot faster by playing with my friends who were better than me. And I say there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned guitar duel.
Quote by stratman7
+1 When I was starting out I did improve a lot faster by playing with my friends who were better than me. And I say there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned guitar duel.

NOBODY who plays guitar in my town will do a guitar "duel". They dont learn scales, so when we do that, it always is the same: They hit random notes, play Smells like teen Spirit, and just open strings really fast. I always crush them.

Their is one person, but he isn't into that kind off thing.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom

Bollocks, it's not a competition - comparing yourself to others achieves nothing, there's no such thing as "the best".

You get better by practicing, the fact that you want to play the guitar is motivation enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Guitar_Kingdom

I probably could if I liked Mlmsteen's music at all. I'm not too big into the neo-classical genre. And if I can't play it, so what? Why should I care? I don't play guitar to be the most technical player or the fastest shredder or anything like that, I play to make music. I believe that's what musical instruments are for.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by tom1thomas1
Can't remember the name, I think it was 'searchbar' or something.

sorry i know where you're coming from you've just decided you don't feel like you're getting anywhere, or you just worked out a killer solo and feel proud, or you're pissed at yourself for not learning fast enough, or something like that?

Go through your CD collection or itunes or whatever, and find songs that you think have solos that sound wiithin your capability
, maybe bluesy ones or something, and ones where it doesn't matter too much about your tone, just hitting the right notes. then learn some of them

Would you say that the solo to Alive by Pearl Jam is decently easy?

Yeah, it's pretty straightforward but it sounds good and is fun to play, go for it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Whats that really awesome quote...about music not being a competition and something about naked women?? It seems aplicable here.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

With practice, anyone can play anything. Doesn't mean they know their chords, scales, techniques, improv,etc.

Comparing song skills serves to nothing...

But hey..
For me it would be "Dee" by Randy Rhoads, on my acoustic OFC!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
I practice more scales and stuff, so I havent learned to much music

Anyway solos i can play after 11 months (will be a full year on like August 25th or something)
-fade to black intro - metallica
-more than a feeling - boston
-nothing else matters - metallica
-stairway to heaven - led zeppelin
-them bones - alice in chains

and i guess those would be the harder ones.

im currently learning the second fade to black solo. however the one descending lick
---7-----------
-----10p7----
------------9--

that repeats over and over is slowing me down. full tempo is like 146bpm, i can play it around 125bpm.

anyway you never listed what solos you play >_>
It doesnt really matter how you compare to anyone else man, youre good by what you consider.
But some songs to look up after a year are probably:

Fade to Black intro
Nothing Else Matters
Hotel California (the triplets/last solo)

I've played a year and a half and can play some stuff like the One solo and the whole Fade To Black song. You just gotta practice your ass off lol.
Quote by JacobLampman
Doesn't Remind Me
Highway Star

I learned those about 3 months ago, but after that I stopped learning songs just for sake of learning songs, and started learning a lot more theory/scales/chords etc.

I have been playing for 8 months right now.

If can play highway star perfectly in 8 months then im a rabbit

Ontopic. I learnt the enter sandman and both the trooper solos, also 2 of the guitar solos in orion.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Always With Me Always With You - Joe Satriani
Wishful Thinking - John Petrucci
few other slower ones by Joe Satriani
Hardest was probably Sweet Child O' Mine. I like to think that i played it well but i highly doubt it. Also don't compare yourself to others (especially on here) because someone will come along and say 'i could play Eruption after a week' ans smash your confidence, if you're anything like me anyway.
These threads are always tempting to make because you want to see how well you're progressing, and usually you do that by comparing with others. HOWEVER, this works horribly on the internet.

For one thing, lots of people tend to stretch the truth. I guarantee there'll be people coming on here saying they could play all the solos in Master of Puppets after a year... most likely, they are either lying or they're able to play it, but it sounds horrible (sloppy, offbeat, etc).

Secondly, you'll also get the few crazy prodigies on here who were actually able to play incredibly after a year, but they're either crazy talented and/or practiced insane hours. It's like video games... lots of times, you'll think you're a pretty good video game player, especially compared with people you know. But you come on the internet, and all of a sudden you realize there are people that are just heads and shoulders above you.
After 1 year i could only play the first solo from Master of Puppets.
And i guess Reverend Horton Heat's Pride of San Jacinto (not much of a solo)
still cant play much more for solos after a year and a half, a couple dimebag solos and a couple metallica solos, but im really into learning techniques, chords, scales and riffs. It dosent take alot to play someone elses solo, to write your own is skill.

After two years- hardest song i can play front to back solo and all is either
Pantera's Cemetery Gates or Cowboys From Hell.
And i guess Eruption, but i play that real sloppy!
You mean people can actually solo after only a year???

Geez, it took me over 5 years to learn the first solo to Knockin on Heaven's Door.
lol. I bought a guitar and first thing i learnt was the intro to Master of Puppets. The next day i taught myself the first solo. a week later i had it down. Two years and a bit later i still cant play the second solo!!
Ive been playing for a One and a half years, And I can play the solo's to Stabwound, Fermented Offal Discharge, and Advanced Corpse Tumor By Necrophagist. And I play them WELL. I can Also Do the Beginings of the solo's for Epitaph and Ignominous and pale.

Also, The Stabwound Piece I have as a Skill seems like Complete **** now That Ive got the Whole solo recorded.

On a less metal Side, I can Play One-Metallica, And Welcome to Buckethead Land, But In retrospect they seem rather tame now.

Although I do practice at least 3 Hrs a day, so its around 1600Hrs of practice time total.
Quote by steven seagull
There's only one reason you should concern yourself with what others do - to see if there's anything you can learn from them.

That's it though, comparing yourself with them is pointless because everybody learns different things at different speeds in a different order. The only certainty is that EVERY guitarist you come across, no matter what their ability or experience, is going to know something that you don't....it may only be one tiny thing, but there's always something.
+1

There will always be someone better than you. Play with other people, learn from them, but don't compare yourself to them.
I'll be honest, there wasn't even much for solos that I could play after a year. I was into The Offspring in my earlier days, and I learned the solo to "The Kids Aren't Alright". Horribly, admittedly.
Page 1 of 2