I'm in an Alternative Rock / Punk band with 2 bass players and 2 guitars. I was hoping some of the members here could give me a few ideas as far as writing 2 basslines. It's complicated writing with 2 basses that don't get in the way and muddy each other up. It's a pretty simple and common thing with guitars, rhythm and lead, or dual rhythm, but they don't interfere with each others tone.

I've learned a few tricks for writing songs in which the basses don't play the exact same parts, having 2 basses play octaves of each other when all that's needed is a root bassline keeps it from getting heavy, on the other hand, 2 of them playing the same low notes really helps stomp in a chorus or something. I've been listening to Ned's Atomic Dustbin to see how they do it, but their 1st bass almost plays a lead like melody, and I'm not sure how well that will work out with already having a lead guitar, I'll have to try that. Any good suggestions out there? Any help is appreciated
You could have one bassist doing what the guitar is doing and the other bassist doing rhythm.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Pyrotechie
Quit hogging up all the ****ing bassists. There's not enough as it is.

i agree
Quote by Pyrotechie

I'll play bass for u
Quote by Pyrotechie

This but in all seriousness have one play clean and one distorted for a huge bass sound. Have one follow the melody and the other play counter point... Have them play on different beats. Its no different than writing for a pair of two other instruments. Or you could go the safe way have one play the root note fof the guitarist chords and have the other play a bass line along with the kick drum
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I don't have any suggestions beyond those already made. The subject just reminded me of Spinal Tap's, "Big Bottom". Everyone but the drummer played bass. I think once they got 20 people on stage, all playing bass. Sorry, not helpful, damn funny though.
You could also split the bassline in half. So Bass 1 plays the first note, and Bass 2 plays the second, It'd be insanely cool live. XP think how the bassline would bark at you from two different speakers. I've gotta try this sometime =D
2nd Bass
Unless you're all really tight musicians with good sense of timing, taste, dynamics and awareness of the frequency spectrum a live band produces, it'll sound like a load of mushy bassy garbage.

You could get away with a mediocre bass player just doing root notes with tons of low-end on the EQ, whilst the better bass player adds in the extra stuff with a scooped, thin tone.
Quote by kyle62
Unless you're all really tight musicians with good sense of timing, taste, dynamics and awareness of the frequency spectrum a live band produces, it'll sound like a load of mushy bassy garbage.

We've already written a few songs and sound good playing them, I was just hoping for more ideas to keep from sounding stale, because after about 5 songs, I'm all out

Quote by TechnoLp
but in all seriousness have one play clean and one distorted for a huge bass sound. Have one follow the melody and the other play counter point... Have them play on different beats. Its no different than writing for a pair of two other instruments. Or you could go the safe way have one play the root note fof the guitarist chords and have the other play a bass line along with the kick drum

Great advice, thanks. We were talking about getting some bass distortion pedals after hearing Billy Talent live, this would be another great use for them. As far as the root note and one playing with the kick, I never noticed before but looking back, we do that in one of our verses, it works and it'll be good to use again. And also, counter point is hard...

Quote by chokmool
The subject just reminded me of Spinal Tap's, "Big Bottom". Everyone but the drummer played bass. I think once they got 20 people on stage, all playing bass. Sorry, not helpful, damn funny though.

I saw that video once, it was really funny, they just kept introducing everyone and it never stopped..."On the bass..."!

Quote by Second Bass
You could also split the bassline in half. So Bass 1 plays the first note, and Bass 2 plays the second, It'd be insanely cool live. XP think how the bassline would bark at you from two different speakers. I've gotta try this sometime =D

You know, this could sound really cool. More than likely it won't work it all, but there's a chance it could, I've gotta try this too :P
Yes counter point is hard but i figured it was an idea
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Even though you have 2 bassists doesn't mean you always have to have both of them playing at the same time. Have some parts where there's only one bass playing just to add a little more variety with dynamics. I think if you do it right, two basses could be really creative and interesting, but be careful because if you use both of them at the same time too much it could turn to overkill.
In The Bucket by the Kings of Leon, the bass plays a melody and the lead guitar plays a bassline which could easily be played on bass. Have one of your bassists explore the higher sonic possibilities of the instrument - think Joy Division(She's lost Control/Love will tear us apart)
Totally off topic, but Im writing a couple bass duets right now for me and my girlfriend. We are both highly proficient, and theres some MEAN playing in there.

But on topic, two bass players is just unnecessary

EDIT: UNLESS! Your Victor Wooten. He tours with another bassist, his name is Anthony (dont know his last name) and he lays down the bass stuff when Victor goes crazy
Trivia:

The studio recording of Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" was recorded with two basses. It wasn't done necessarily for artistic reasons, it was because the session musicians were paid by the hour, and a "trick" they would do was to double-track or harmonise their parts so they would take longer recording, and therefore, would be paid more. In this case I believe it's two basses in 3rds.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by tubatom868686
But on topic, two bass players is just unnecessary

Not when you start a band and have 2 best friends who play bass and no way to say no to one of them. It doesn't have to be necessary, just fun, it's all about the music man, conforming is for fools *continues on with rant*
Why would you even have 2 bassists in the first place?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Why would you even have 2 bassists in the first place?

Why not?
Gear:
Buffet E13 Clarinet in Bb.
Canon 40D, Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM macro, Tamron 17-50 2.8, 50 mm 1.8.
Flickr
Quote by rhumst
Why not?

Because it's pointless?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Interesting things to do with 2 bassists:

-Give them a lightbulb and see if they can screw it in.
-Drop them off across town and see if they can make it home.
-Etc.
Kick them out?
I mean, there's not much that two bassists can do together.
If you really want to keep them, it sounds cool when they're both playing the same thing, but one's clean and the other has some fuzz on it. That would sound massive.