Page 3 of 447
Looks good. It will be fine for all of your Adobe needs (assuming you use Adobe, that's all my roommate used to use).
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Quote by joshua029
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11038075

will this be good enough for graphic design? i want a desktop and something that will last a few years...

Its alright. The shared video memory is probably that models biggest drawback. Also, the Phenom X4 is a pretty good cpu. If your not gonna be gaming on it, it should last you a few years.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Quote by joshua029
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11038075

will this be good enough for graphic design? i want a desktop and something that will last a few years...

2 out of the 3 hp desktops ive had were in that "a" series (older models, mind you), and one i still use today.
i think you'll be alright with that one there.
just try and stay away from the hp slimlines, as they tend to overheat and just shutdown; at least my parents' always did.
Last edited by tsk84eva at Aug 10, 2009,

Got a GTS 250 for the video card to try to keep up but to be honest it flat out wont unless I spend 400+ on a card., 8gb of ram, it's really overkill, that's for sure. My dad works for a microsoft-licensed company and got hooked up with two quad-core 2.8ghz due to some product licensing issue.

It's also got Windows 7 evaluation on it. Only problem is that my recording/studio programs don't work very well I'll have to wait for recording more songs until some hosts come out that support W7
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Got a GTS 250 for the video card to try to keep up but to be honest it flat out wont unless I spend 400+ on a card., 8gb of ram, it's really overkill, that's for sure. My dad works for microsoft and got hooked up with two quad-core 2.8ghz.

It's also got Windows 7 evaluation on it. Only problem is that my recording/studio programs don't work very well I'll have to wait for recording more songs until some hosts come out that support W7

All that power and you're not even running Compiz.
Just took apart my imac to put a new HD (you need a special torx wrench that was hell to find here) but it won't find the new drive to format from the install CD disk utility. Might be a broken HD but I doubt it. I am seriously puzzled.

sorry if its a double post, my internet keeps going on and off,
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Explain?

Just look up Compiz Fusion on youtube and see for yourself
Quote by dark&broken
Why not?

Well, Vista used around 1 - 2 GB of RAM. Memory I could better use on gaming.
XP used around 500 - 700MB [depending on usage]. Much more efficient IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Stormx
Just look up Compiz Fusion on youtube and see for yourself

That is utterly useless. Why would I want that? Just because someone can doesn't mean you should. Function over fashion, always.

I'm happy with my dual flat screens.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Hey guys.
I've been running Ubuntu for a month or so, saving all my files to an external 164GB Hard drive, a couple of days ago my computer froze while playing a video I had stored on it, I simply turned off the computer and rebooted but now I get this error message:

(I'm running on a live CD because I installed a different distro and that went balls up so it's live CD for the time being)

Any thoughts?
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
My mom is offering to buy me a laptop for college. Since she works in real-estate business isn't exactly a booming. So she said 500-600 bucks she could spare so I could get me a decent laptop.

Now I know a lil about comps when it comes to towers, but how different are laptops?

What sort of brands should I avoid and are some things I should always look for in a laptop.

Any help is much appreciated
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Aug 10, 2009,
thanks for the replies guys. few more quick questions...

keep the vista or install xp pro? i have the installation disc for pro and prefer pro, would there be any drawbacks from doing this?

i'm not sure, and even more uncertain if the comp didn't come with the vista disc. my hp laptop came with a xp home so wouldn't that come with its os installer?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
hardware incompatibility may be one drawback.

plus, there's no reason to going to XP, especially since microsoft is releasing windows 7 which is turning out to be an amazing operating system based on the release candidates and betas.

@guitarfreak777: where do you live? there aren't any brands to avoid, although laptop magazine named HP, dell, and acer to have the worst customer service.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by SteveHouse
Should we assume all your connections and power cables stayed connected, and that you didn't do anything with the file while moving it?

SHEdit: This is a brief overview of all the OS X error codes.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1618

That link says it applies to OS 9 and earlier...

Quote by paintITblack39
what file are you transferring?
what kind of external hard drive are you using? i want brand, connection type, and size (2.5 inches or 3.5 inches)
do you know what format your hard drive is in?
can you transfer out of your hard drive?

Yesterday, it didn't matter what file I tried to transfer, I got the same error. It's a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus. Size = 500 GB. I use the firewire 400 connection. I've looked all over the box and the setup pamphlet that came with it and I don't know what the size is. I don't know what format my hard drive is in, and I don't know if I can transfer files out of it because as of today, it doesn't even show up in Finder anymore when I plug it in. I opened Disk Utility where it recognized it and I ran both verify disk and repair disk and both say that the volume needs repair.

The damn thing's not even 4 months old!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Last edited by thefoldarsoldar at Aug 10, 2009,
there's either an issue with the hard drive inside the enclosure or it may be OS X. try running it in a linux live CD or a virtual machine and see what comes up. if it comes up in those different operating systems, it could be an issue with OS X.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
there's either an issue with the hard drive inside the enclosure or it may be OS X. try running it in a linux live CD or a virtual machine and see what comes up. if it comes up in those different operating systems, it could be an issue with OS X.

Could you please elaborate on how to do this?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
My mom is offering to buy me a laptop for college. Since she works in real-estate business isn't exactly a booming. So she said 500-600 bucks she could spare so I could get me a decent laptop.

Now I know a lil about comps when it comes to towers, but how different are laptops?

What sort of brands should I avoid and are some things I should always look for in a laptop.

Any help is much appreciated

I reccomend Gateway for cheap laptops, good looking and will run vista fairly well until 7 comes out. Just make sure you get the core2duo models. Also look at Dell Inspiron, HP dv2 and Toshiba satelite to be thurough.

Quote by joshua029
thanks for the replies guys. few more quick questions...

keep the vista or install xp pro? i have the installation disc for pro and prefer pro, would there be any drawbacks from doing this?

i'm not sure, and even more uncertain if the comp didn't come with the vista disc. my hp laptop came with a xp home so wouldn't that come with its os installer?

I'd just stick with Vista, win7 comes out in three months and it is much less hassle to upgrade from vista than from XP. HP charges $20 for backup DVD's for vista, they aren't included by default.

Quote by thefoldarsoldar
That link says it applies to OS 9 and earlier...

Yesterday, it didn't matter what file I tried to transfer, I got the same error. It's a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus. Size = 500 GB. I use the firewire 400 connection. I've looked all over the box and the setup pamphlet that came with it and I don't know what the size is. I don't know what format my hard drive is in, and I don't know if I can transfer files out of it because as of today, it doesn't even show up in Finder anymore when I plug it in. I opened Disk Utility where it recognized it and I ran both verify disk and repair disk and both say that the volume needs repair.

The damn thing's not even 4 months old!

If it is 500GB I'd bet it's a 3.5.
Your hard drive should be in HFS since it's a mac drive.
Unfortunately I have little experience with macs but edit your post to include those two points and I hope someone else can help.
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
Last edited by SuPaGrAm at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by paintITblack39
hardware incompatibility may be one drawback.

plus, there's no reason to going to XP, especially since microsoft is releasing windows 7 which is turning out to be an amazing operating system based on the release candidates and betas.

@guitarfreak777: where do you live? there aren't any brands to avoid, although laptop magazine named HP, dell, and acer to have the worst customer service.

Florida?(why does that matter? XD) Okay that's good to know.

Quote by SuPaGrAm
I reccomend Gateway for cheap laptops, good looking and will run vista fairly well until 7 comes out. Just make sure you get the core2duo models. Also look at Dell Inspiron, HP dv2 and Toshiba satelite to be thurough.

I've heard some good things about Toshiba and mixed on the HP's. I'll def check out some Gateways.

Would I need to look for anything in particular if I wanted to record music on the laptop?
Also I assume most laptops these days can play a decent amount of games?
Quote by Guitarfreak777

Nope. Even a $2000 laptop can't play games nearly as well as a $800 desktop. With the right $1000 or so laptop, you'll be able to play the latest games at high but not maxed out or at 1920x1080.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
^ not true. most ASUS gaming laptops priced around $1100 run pretty well against an $800 desktop. the advantage of getting an $800 desktop is that upgrades will be cheap and easy. your average $1100 laptop runs with a centrino 2 chipset and either an nvidia gtx260m or 9600m (ati HD 45XX series or higher in ati's terms). your average $800 desktop comes with a core 2 duo paired with a semi decent graphics card (either an nvidia 9400/9500 or ati HD 3000 series) or a core 2 quad processor with intel integrated graphics. a quad core processor is good, but not for games which are usually GPU accelerated. worse comes to worse, you're stuck with AMD's phenom chips, which sort of blow based on performance benchmarks and tests. however, they are paired with much better graphics cards, it's just that you sold your soul to a shit processor.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Florida?(why does that matter? XD) Okay that's good to know.

I've heard some good things about Toshiba and mixed on the HP's. I'll def check out some Gateways.

Would I need to look for anything in particular if I wanted to record music on the laptop?

i haven't heard great things about gateways, but it's never right to just choose by brand. sometimes you have to pick a computer based on the best hardware available.
you don't need anything outrageously special to record music in a computer. if you want to record without any additions, look for a laptop with a built-in webcam because they have built-in microphones as well. quality may not be good, but it's conveniently built-in. also look for a laptop with an intel core 2 duo processor. the amd turion is alright, but it fails in terms of battery life and cooling. they're decent values sometimes because they always come paired with a decent graphics processor, but as far as raw performance and mobility goes, the intel core 2 duo is much better. try and see if you can find one with a decent graphics processor paired with it.

and always remember this: a cpu and gpu are always better than a balls-load of memory. that is and always will be a fact. don't be fooled with a large amount of gigabytes in a computer. a computer running 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive with an intel pentium processor is garbage compared to a computer running 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive with an intel core 2 duo paired with an nvidia 9400m.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39

i haven't heard great things about gateways, but it's never right to just choose by brand. sometimes you have to pick a computer based on the best hardware available.
you don't need anything outrageously special to record music in a computer. if you want to record without any additions, look for a laptop with a built-in webcam because they have built-in microphones as well. quality may not be good, but it's conveniently built-in. also look for a laptop with an intel core 2 duo processor. the amd turion is alright, but it fails in terms of battery life and cooling. they're decent values sometimes because they always come paired with a decent graphics processor, but as far as raw performance and mobility goes, the intel core 2 duo is much better. try and see if you can find one with a decent graphics processor paired with it.

and always remember this: a cpu and gpu are always better than a balls-load of memory. that is and always will be a fact. don't be fooled with a large amount of gigabytes in a computer. a computer running 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive with an intel pentium processor is garbage compared to a computer running 2GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive with an intel core 2 duo paired with an nvidia 9400m.

This is one laptop that I found pretty quickly, could ya tell me what ya think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114656

Would that be the same processor your saying I should be getting?
Quote by paintITblack39
it wasn't. the laptop should be fine for schooling, however. you won't be able to play many games, though.

lmao well gdamnit, its called like almost the exact same thing. I don't think i'll get a laptop that can play very many games for around 500 bucks though.
Since this thread is getting into things, I need some recommendations.

I was looking at graphics cards [well, nvidia ], but for some reason, the latest nvidia model seems to be out out by many different brands. Explain?

Also, what type of CPUs should I be looking at buying if I want to upgrade!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
nVidia really only produce the GPU man, they generally leave the manufacture of the cards themselves to others.
Quote by LordBishek
nVidia really only produce the GPU man, they generally leave the manufacture of the cards themselves to others.

That explains it, thanks.

I think may wait until I finish university [which I start in oct] before upgrading my computer for gaming, as that computer will be at home most of the time.

Or should I upgrade anyway, and have a gaming machine for holidays?!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
That explains it, thanks.

I think may wait until I finish university [which I start in oct] before upgrading my computer for gaming, as that computer will be at home most of the time.

Or should I upgrade anyway, and have a gaming machine for holidays?!

Depends, do you plan to do much gaming at university, and do you have access to a car? Generally, if you have the space, I'd take the desktop with. They're harder to nick. Course, if you're taking your comp into classes, then you'll need a laptop.
In terms of Nvidia cards, all depends on your resolution, GTX 275s are a good bet but an ATI 4890 would be best bang for buck at the moment.
Quote by LordBishek
Depends, do you plan to do much gaming at university, and do you have access to a car? Generally, if you have the space, I'd take the desktop with. They're harder to nick. Course, if you're taking your comp into classes, then you'll need a laptop.

I'm leaving my desktop at home as it's too big to take with me, and if that gets stolen I've lost a lot.
My laptop will be coming with me - it can easily be hidden in a room.

I will be at home during any holidays [we get a nice long winter break that looks interesting], so I will spend some time at home - and I'd probably be wanting to play some games then.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Hey guys, looking for a new monitor so I can set up a dual screen setup for my recording studio at home. Looking at a 22-24" screen. Any cheap suggestions? ( Would prefer LCD)
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
I need to access a SATA hdd that won't boot up using another SATA hdd that will. I have one set of connection cables and power cables that are already being used by the one that will load up.

Any thoughts on how I can get to it?
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by 666_Pounder
You might have posted it but whats the rest of your rig? Just upgrading the GPU might be a false economy.

My CPU needs upgrading too. I may put some more RAM in as well. Need a new hard drive too.
But when looking at the new nvidia GPU, there were too many models to comprehend.
I would buy a new computer, but XP is better for gaming IMO.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Just wondering, does anyone have the new logic (9), with a mac with only 2 gb ram?
Does it work good? Does it freeze alot?

THAANK YOU
Gear:
Some sort of guitar, of some sort.
Another one
Big amp
Small amp
A pedal
A pedal again
Some kind of box that goes into the computer.. Haven't figured out its function yet.
Well then, I guess it's entirely up to your holiday plans.

Quote by Simsimius
My CPU needs upgrading too. I may put some more RAM in as well. Need a new hard drive too.
But when looking at the new nvidia GPU, there were too many models to comprehend.
I would buy a new computer, but XP is better for gaming IMO.

Not strictly true. XP is easier for gaming because it uses less RAM in the background, but RAM is ridiculously cheap anyway, and as long as you have 3 or more gig, most machines should be happy. I'd say 4 is a good place to start.

However, at this point in time, with XP become more of an entry for history books than a modern OS, you need to be thinking about Vista or Windows 7 if possible. More and more modern games require Direct X10 (or are at least optimised for it), and XP has no support for this whatsoever. Do not think XP is better for gaming because it uses less resources. Use Vista Home Premium/7 home premium instead when it comes out with the aero setting turned off, and invest an extra 20-30 bucks in some RAM.
Last edited by LordBishek at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by LordBishek
Well then, I guess it's entirely up to your holiday plans.

Not strictly true. XP is easier for gaming because it uses less RAM in the background, but RAM is ridiculously cheap anyway, and as long as you have 3 or more gig, most machines should be happy. I'd say 4 is a good place to start.

However, at this point in time, with XP become more of an entry for history books than a modern OS, you need to be thinking about Vista or Windows 7 if possible. More and more modern games require Direct X10 (or are at least optimised for it), and XP has no support for this whatsoever. Do not think XP is better for gaming because it uses less resources. Use Vista Home Premium/7 home premium instead when it comes out with the aero setting turned off, and invest an extra 20-30 bucks in some RAM.

I may use Windows 7 when that is released, but until then, I'll stick with XP. It feels more solid then vista TBH, but I do like Vista.
But, by sticking to XP, I can buy other upgrades before I buy more RAM .
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO