Page 4 of 447
If you get a powerful card like a GTX 275/285 or something you would GREATLY benefit from OC'ing the CPU. CPU speed can make a bigger difference than a new GPU. All depends on what res you're running.
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you get a powerful card like a GTX 275/285 or something you would GREATLY benefit from OC'ing the CPU. CPU speed can make a bigger difference than a new GPU. All depends on what res you're running.

Would be a ****ty res for now on a cheapo monitor, will take a while before I can upgrade it
Quote by 666_Pounder
Do you know what your motherboard is?

Should be fine either way, it varys really you could probably pick one up for £40 -50.

Dont know what my motherboard is. Im not at home atm but is there a way of finding out?

£50? Awesome. Where would you recommend I get it from, ebay? Are there any other video cards I should look into too, like a 9800? I think I remember hearing nvidia cards run cooler than radeons, could be wrong though
£50 if you're VERY lucky, there are a few 8800GTs floating around that price point on some forums at the moment, PM me if you want a link, can't advertise other forums.
On the market for a new laptop.
Prefribly less than £350, going to be used for general use and university work, any recomendations?
Quote by duggyrocks
Dont know what my motherboard is. Im not at home atm but is there a way of finding out?

£50? Awesome. Where would you recommend I get it from, ebay? Are there any other video cards I should look into too, like a 9800? I think I remember hearing nvidia cards run cooler than radeons, could be wrong though

You can get a 512 mb Radeon 4850 for around $100 and the 1 gig version for $15 more. I don't if the prices are different in the UK though.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by paintITblack39
there's either an issue with the hard drive inside the enclosure or it may be OS X. try running it in a linux live CD or a virtual machine and see what comes up. if it comes up in those different operating systems, it could be an issue with OS X.

I ran it in OS X 10.5 and Windows XP and got nothing. The PC gave me the bubbles that said "found maxtor onetouch" and "found USB mass storage device" but when I went into My Computer the external drive wasn't on the list.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Anyone know how to get my pc to start up faster ?
The startup time is getting pretty long , my other pc that has vista on it starts up 2 times faster than this one and it's specs are a lot worse.
We erased everything from the hard disk 1.5 years ago and it started up a lot faster then but now it's slow again . The startup time for programs and games is also longer than before.
Anyone got an idea what I can do about it without formtting it again?

Specs
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3
2,80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
3072 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Quote by Waffleguy
Anyone know how to get my pc to start up faster ?
The startup time is getting pretty long , my other pc that has vista on it starts up 2 times faster than this one and it's specs are a lot worse.
We erased everything from the hard disk 1.5 years ago and it started up a lot faster then but now it's slow again . The startup time for programs and games is also longer than before.
Anyone got an idea what I can do about it without formtting it again?

Specs
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3
2,80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
3072 Megabytes Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

There's various registry cleaners you can run, C Cleaner is one I remember by name. Run them to clean up things in your registry. Then you can change your boot order to speed up start up by removing programs that auto launch.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
I ran it in OS X 10.5 and Windows XP and got nothing. The PC gave me the bubbles that said "found maxtor onetouch" and "found USB mass storage device" but when I went into My Computer the external drive wasn't on the list.

sounds like there is an issue with the filesystem in the hard drive. which is good, because the hard drive itself isn't broken. you would have to run chkdsk, which i can't remember how to do (i'm on a mac, now), so i copied and pasted this from microsoft's website:
1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Use one of the following procedures:
* To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
* To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
* To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

The following table lists the exit codes that Chkdsk reports after it has finished:
Collapse this tableExpand this table
Exit code Description
0 No errors were found.
1 Errors were found and fixed.
2 Disk cleanup, such as garbage collection, was performed, or cleanup was not performed because /f was not specified.
3 Could not check the disk, errors could not be fixed, or errors were not fixed because /f was not specified.

since i haven't joined the specs game, here are a few of my computers' specifications.

desktop i built:
intel core 2 quad q9300 (2.4 GHz)
4gb ddr3 RAM
1tb HDD
ati HD 4870 GPU
blu-ray disc reader
vista home premium (soon to receive windows 7 professional)

MacBook Pro:
13 inch widescreen monitor
2gb ddr3 RAM
160gb HDD
nvidia geforce 9400m
intel core 2 duo p7550 (2.26 GHz)
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
sounds like there is an issue with the filesystem in the hard drive. which is good, because the hard drive itself isn't broken. you would have to run chkdsk, which i can't remember how to do (i'm on a mac, now), so i copied and pasted this from microsoft's website:

I can't do step 1 because the hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer though. There's five objects before I plug the external in. Then I hear the ping sound when I plug it in, but there's still only five objects listed: Floppy A, Local Disk C, CD Drive D, Removable Disk J (I checked and its not that), and Shared Documents.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
I can't do step 1 because the hard drive doesn't show up in My Computer though. There's five objects before I plug the external in. Then I hear the ping sound when I plug it in, but there's still only five objects listed: Floppy A, Local Disk C, CD Drive D, Removable Disk J (I checked and its not that), and Shared Documents.

And it's none of those?

Check to see if it's in disk management.

Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management (iir)

The volume should show up there if it's working. From there you can assign it a drive letter. That may work. Be careful, you can also format it from there.

Also, does the drive spin up when you connect it? Everything sound normal? Lights power on and everything?
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
Quote by Leperaffinity01
There's a computer stat game? How do I join?

I have a P4 with 256MB RAM. Beat that.
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
Quote by cokronk
I have a P4 with 256MB RAM. Beat that.

how about an old Mac with a 12 GB hard drive?
Quote by Roc8995
Quote by cokronk
And it's none of those?

Check to see if it's in disk management.

Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management (iir)

The volume should show up there if it's working. From there you can assign it a drive letter. That may work. Be careful, you can also format it from there.

Also, does the drive spin up when you connect it? Everything sound normal? Lights power on and everything?

I can't get to Disk Management on my PC because I'm not an admin. X(

The drive does start spinning, and the light on the front does blink a couple times.
Quote by Roc8995
Quote by Leperaffinity01
haha. Core i7 OC @ 3.4 ghz, 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3, 2x GTX 260 Black Edition cards in SLi

It's close, right?

Only 3.4? *disappointment* Should be pushing 4.0+ easily .
Interesting news:

According to market research firm NPD, Apple claimed 91% of the revenue market share for computers costing $1,000 or more in June. While NPD's sales numbers are limited to brick-and-mortar retail stores, the data shows a remarkable continuation of a trend that has been in place for several years now.
Quote by Tempoe
Interesting news:

According to market research firm NPD, Apple claimed 91% of the revenue market share for computers costing $1,000 or more in June. While NPD's sales numbers are limited to brick-and-mortar retail stores, the data shows a remarkable continuation of a trend that has been in place for several years now.

The problem is, a lot of people who have high end computers build them and no one can build their own Mac. And most tech savvy people realize how much they can save from buying online.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Tempoe
Interesting news:

Not suprised really. Most half decent (but not designed for gaming) PC's should be less than $1000, except like Macbooks which are almost seen as a style accessary so people who can afford it buy it... and a lot of gamer PC's arent bought as a all in one package, i've had my basic pc for years now with the same case and gradually improved it by improving bits one by one - more memory, then a new graphics card, etc etc.
Spec game.

C2Q 9400 at 2.6
4 gigs of DDR2 ram
ati 3870 (512mb ram)
500 gig HD

Its avarage. The CPU, mobo and ram are new and i need to now focus on a new case, PSU, heatsink for the cpu (the stock intel does Not cut it) and a new GPU.

And im also gonna upgrade to Win7, but im talking like tomorrow or the day after

How you ask?

Friend works in IT and has access to the MSDN online library

I already have the ISO, just too lazy to burn it cause i wanna do a clean install.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Last edited by DZCunuck at Aug 11, 2009,
Im in the market for a new computer seen as mine i've had for just under 5 years died the other day. So i want a general use laptop but i'd like to be able to use it for lots of recording and such as i start at collage in september. I will be running stuff like Audacity, Pod farm (line 6 interface), reason, fruity loops and well you get the idea. So'll be running a few programs at once. Also i wouldn't mind running the odd game like the Sims or something but its not all that important.

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/407749#productInformationSection

What do you guys think of that?
oh dear lord that's crap for that price....never ever ever buy a laptop with a Celeron (or the Pentium dual cores for that matter)...they suck, even if they are dual core. 3GB of RAM too...that means it's 32 bit Windows Vista...which is also not good. Wow...

They trick people into this crap...thinking it's all godly. If you ever see 3GB of RAM on any system, it normally comes pre-installed with a 32 bit OS which is really out of date now. Damn near everything is 64 bit compatible, unless you have some off the wall brand of a wireless card or something.

And for recording purposes, if Dells are still like they are, they have the WORST audio chipset ever created. SigmaTel audio is HORRIBLE! It's so bad, I lost 20FPS in games if there was more than one sound going on. Plus, it's not supported by recording programs. I would hope they have Realtek audio on there, which isn't the greatest either, but it is the best onboard audio chipset there is.

Sims? Sims 3? Oh no, that probably wouldn't run that worth a crap. It doesn't run well at all on a system that meets their system requirements..... It will run...on low with no AA and low textures...which looks pretty junky IMHO.
Last edited by Illiad86 at Aug 12, 2009,
Okay thanks, well i'll keep looking

EDIT: Do you have any reccomendations to look at not going over that price?
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Aug 12, 2009,
you live in the UK huh? Guess you don't know the loveliness of newegg Look for a laptop with 4GB of RAM, a nice Nvidia/ATI graphics chipset (most of the non Dells come with nice ones), and a decent Core 2 Quad/Duo or Athlon/Phenom. I've seen some nice laptops on newegg for $700, way better than the one you put up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152116

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117871

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115571

lol Don't buy Dells, all they lead to is headaches on no upgrades. They make their laptops/desktops non form factor so you can't upgrade much
Last edited by Illiad86 at Aug 12, 2009,
I've just looked and found nothing that really stood out that well in my budget.

What specs do you think i should be aiming for at no more than £370?