(See the thread I just posted for very brief background -- I'm not a total newb but have just recently started playing electric guitar)

I've seen a lot of guides on string bending, but none of them address the only problem I have with it: hitting adjacent strings when bending. So, for example, when I'm bending the 2nd string, my fingers bump up against the 3rd string and makes it sound. I can avoid doing this if I bend very carefully (i.e. slowly) but obviously that's not an option when soloing.

Am I supposed to mute the higher strings with my strumming hand while bending? Is there some technique to avoid sounding the adjacent fingers with my fretting hand?

Thanks for the help.
always bend towards the middle of the neck, thats what ive learned. mute adjacent strings if necessary with your picking hand.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I always rest any finger I dont have currently fretting anything on any string I may hit. Rest it gently, like just touching the string, not actually pushing down and fretting it. That way it's muted. I do the same thing when I'm doing chords. I don't even think about it, it's completely automatic.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
kingofdudes161,

that definitely sounds like it would work, but one question: most of the stuff i've read says you should use 3 fingers to bend. i.e. if i am bending 2nd string 7th fret i put my ring finger on that fret, middle finger on the 2nd string 6th fret, index finger on 2nd string 5th fret.

maybe what you're saying is it's not necessary to use all 3 fingers on the string you're bending, and instead you could do use the middle and ring fingers to bend, and use the index finger to mute the adjacent string? that sound right?
As your fingers get stronger you'll be able to bend with one or two fingers and use the other to mute.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Quote by erkdoken
As your fingers get stronger you'll be able to bend with one or two fingers and use the other to mute.

^this

I at one point had the same noise problem, then I slowly just started to mute it when I remembered and eventually it became second nature
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.