Hey, here's a clip of me playing some guitar.. I played all the guitar tracks in it..

I've attempted to do a bass line on the guitar which didn't work very well since I didn't use an octave effect, my "rhythm" guitar playing is pretty sloppy and my "lead" guitar work sounds pretty bad too.

I don't even know why I'm posting this up, just have a listen and tell me if you think I'm pretty much the crappest guitar player here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTZEVFwAVQ
its not possible that you can be the worst because there are people on this forum who can't play at all
Surely I'm in the bottom 10 somewhere. :/

For some reason I actually like the recording I posted, even though it's horrible.

I don't know why... probably because I done it I guess. :/
it would sound 10x better with practice.youve got good ideas, you just need to clean up your playing.

practice the clean part again and focus on eliminating string noise. get as accurate as possible.
the lead sounds ok, just needs more knowledge behind it to become more creative.

and idk what you used to record this, but the qualities horrible. dont judge yourself for something that came out like this when you dont have proper equipment.

I say you have potential keep it up!

PS. check out my song on my profile, i did all the work myself as well, through a little better but still crappy equipment.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
You sound out of tune, or maybe it's the effects? How long have you been playing? I'm sure you can improve, we were all that bad once.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Eh, it's bad, but not that bad. Plus you had some good ideas. Play cleaner and tune your guitar, and then you'll have something
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

TK1, I've had a guitar for about 3 years, but only actually been playing since the start of this year.

All the tracks were recorded on a Ashton electric guitar (I don't know the model, it's 3 years old and has rust on the pickups..) and through a tiny Ashton amplifier which is pretty bad.
I recorded into Audacity using a $5 microphone which I put next to the amp.

I'm doing a music course this year, and I've learnt a lot my main instrument is my voice though.. and I swear I'm not usually that bad, I just felt big since that was the first thing I've recorded besides a track at TAFE.. they were all done in one take, which is pretty obvious by listening to it, I'll check out your track now.

salsawords, My guitar is in tune and I didn't use effects, but I'm pretty sure my tuner is screwed, so maybe it is out of tune. ._.
boboguitar, yeah I'll work on it, and I should probably have done the "rhythm" on my acoustic.

Yeah just check and my guitar may have been just a little out of tune. ._.
I swear I tuned it about 5 minutes before I recorded though. ._.

What do you fellas mean by good ideas?

phatstud, cheers, what do you mean by intonation?
Quote by King Turi
TK1, I've had a guitar for about 3 years, but only actually been playing since the start of this year.

All the tracks were recorded on a Ashton electric guitar (I don't know the model, it's 3 years old and has rust on the pickups..) and through a tiny Ashton amplifier which is pretty bad.
I recorded into Audacity using a $5 microphone which I put next to the amp.

I'm doing a music course this year, and I've learnt a lot my main instrument is my voice though.. and I swear I'm not usually that bad, I just felt big since that was the first thing I've recorded besides a track at TAFE.. they were all done in one take, which is pretty obvious by listening to it, I'll check out your track now.

see, exactly what im saying. i recorded the guitar on my track thru a line 6 gearbox, which is better quality than a cheap mic, but all the vocals were done thru a cheap mic, and it shows.

the guitar is an offbrand, when i did that it was thru a 'california' strat. so its not the guitar i assure you. it did sound out of tune, but it could be that your guitar isnt intonated properly, or that it doesnt hold a tune for long (as most cheapo's do).

youre taking a music course? that should help immensly, especially if you are interested in continuing. the most important part is to never give up. try checking out my site (in my sig) for a little pre-course material. should help.

EDIT: and by good ideas, we mean the song, the chord progression, the overall feel of the music. its very... airy, and with some work could sound beautiful.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Aug 8, 2009,
Well ideally it would have some lyrics and stuff..

I'm going to record a cleaner one later on, I only had time for 1 take of everything since my nephew was about to go down for a sleep..

The guitar in your track sounds a lot cleaner than mine!

My guitar usually stays in tune for a while, I think it might be my tuner that's a bit out of whack, for some reason it tells me it hears all these random notes which I'm not actually playing (even when everything else is silent, and I'm just hitting the E string, it'll randomly pop up with "A" half the time and other random notes).

Yeah the music course has helped a lot so far, I'm actually not usually that horrid at guitar playing but yeah, I guess I'll have to prove that with the next recording I do of it.
I liked that. It was very jarring, which strange as it may seem worked nicely with the lo-fi recording and the fuzzy lead line. The picture I'm getting in my head while listening to it is kind of a post-apocalyptic hospital scene where a patient is on a heart bypass whose power supply is flaking out.

You might add some ambient chimes (maybe clean harmonics, and mess around with stereo panning?) in the last third of that and call it done. Suggested title, "Cardiac Arrhythmia" or something. Make it a secret track on your album. ;P
Quote by ascend
I liked that. It was very jarring, which strange as it may seem worked nicely with the lo-fi recording and the fuzzy lead line. The picture I'm getting in my head while listening to it is kind of a post-apocalyptic hospital scene where a patient is on a heart bypass whose power supply is flaking out.

You might add some ambient chimes (maybe clean harmonics, and mess around with stereo panning?) in the last third of that and call it done. Suggested title, "Cardiac Arrhythmia" or something. Make it a secret track on your album. ;P

Hmm, I like your ideas..
You aren't that bad at guitar that you can't make a recording of a whole song!

There are a lot of guitarists (a few of them are old geezers too, who should be ashamed of themselves) who can't move beyond simple riffs and chord progressions and actually play whole songs!
the extra string noise takes away from the song heaps
but otherwise not bad
on the plus side you know where your a little sloppy so therefore you can improve
No way - keep playing, keep recording and you'll be fine.

Sort the tuner though - tune before each take, and the guitar could probably do with being setup properly by the sounds of it as well.

I've got loads of stuff life that I did in the early 90's and though the playing/quality is generally bad it's good to break them out once in a whle and listen to them and compare to new stuff, or just have a laugh

I've even got some dictaphone tapes somewhere which wobble and warble when you play them back - I still like listening to them though, cos you can also hear me and my mate laughing as I go about some really cheesy improvs and glaring mistakes which actually sound ok once you get used to them
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
stop being insecure and just keep practicing. this was pretty good, it's just sloppy which some more concentrated practice will change. your leads fit pretty well, just don't play them the exact same way add a couple new notes or phrase it a bit differently. imo the effects weren't really needed but that's just me. keep practicing, sounds like you really have some potential.
Cheers for the comments fellas, yeah I know where it was sloppy and I'm hoping to re-do it sometime soon.

The string noise I don't really know how to stop..

Garlic Owl, I didn't use any effects for it, it's just all the guitar through the amp, I think the effects you're talking about are just feedback noise, there's like a beep sound in there but that was just me picking the string while it was right on the fret (so it just quickly buzzed and didn't actually play the note).
I honestly thought it sounded nice, but the recording quality sucked. And you were out of tune.
Cheers, yeah it was a little out of tune, I didn't realize how often my electric guitar goes out of tune until I started trying to record things with it, seems like every time I pick it up I have to retune it.

The recording quality I can't do much about without getting better equipment
Since the start of this year, that recording is really bad since I really can't get a clear sound out of my laptop when I record, I use a crap amp, crap guitar and a crap microphone, but I'll figure something out.
Not the worst I have heard. Don't sweat how you sound right now. Only worry that if in 2 years you still sound that way.

Secrets to playing killer guitar...

1. Practice - You need at least 30 min a day to maintain a skill level, more to improve it. I practice at least 1 hour a day 2+ on the week ends per day.
2. Fundamentals - Can't stress that enough. Good mechanics are the key to everything. Learning proper strumming, fingering, right down to running through scales. My instructor told me that he does 2 hours just on scales a day before even looks at sheet music.
3. Sheet music - learn to read it. It's a pain and tab is easier but being able to read the notes allows you to write tab. Works great for me.
4. Experiment - try things. There are thousands of examples on the web on how to do everything. Every month try to learn a new "trick", be it a Kirk Hammett Riff or a classical arpeggio technique. (you would be surprised at how much of classical study translates right to metal guitar)

Good work man... keep it up.
Last edited by tactik at Aug 16, 2009,
Wow, that was terribly out of tune and your recording quality may be under question! It was alright, though; it sounds like the typical starting-out kind of stuff.

I just don't like the way you're constantly broadcasting yourself as the "worst guitarist" out there. Do you want people to agree with you or not? Humility is admirable, but not when it's poured on in such bucketloads that it seems as though you're seriously just trying to dig for pity.

If you think it's so terrible, why would you bother posting it up for everyone to hear? Maybe you want honest feedback, but your constant repetition of things along the lines of "I'm so crap" kind of bug me. Stop worrying about how you compare to people for a while and just concentrate on tuning your guitar and practising hard.
It's not horrible but it sounds like you don't have the piece your playing down. Just practice and you'll get better (I suck too so don't feel bad about it)
Don't be so preoccupied with how "good" you are at guitar, no matter how long you've been playing...just set goals for yourself and play to your personal best and you will eventually see improvement...the worst thing you can do as a guitarist is be satisfied with yourself.
Those who call me avatar, knows not what they're looking for...
Quote by bagpipemetal
It's not horrible but it sounds like you don't have the piece your playing down. Just practice and you'll get better (I suck too so don't feel bad about it)

I got the impression he was fighting bad latency when trying to record new tracks while monitoring the previous. The timing is nasty but the nastiness itself seems to have a certain consistency to it.
Yeah, I don't know how to get rid of the latency, it puts everything out of time, like I can't record over the other tracks properly since the new track always winds up being out out of time somehow.