Page 1 of 2
I was looking at some D'Addario EXL110 Electric Strings.

What are some good brands?

Just in case you need to know...
Genre Rock/Alternative
Going on a 6 string Fender squier
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Elixirs they are a bit pricey but worth it.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
elixirs are the sh!t definitely
they last a lot longer than any strings i've ever used and i don't think i've ever broken one either
I always stick with Ernie Ball. Maybe you like 'em, maybe you don't. I love 'em. I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinkies. Just sayin'.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
I always stick with Ernie Ball. Maybe you like 'em, maybe you don't. I love 'em. I prefer Ernie Ball Super Slinkies. Just sayin'.

Me too,I like the way they play, but I do think elixir's last longer.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
I've never liked elixirs.I used them on two guitars once and immediately when back to D'addario lights the next time I changed my strings.

My advice would be to try different brands and find the brand and gauge that YOU like TS,not what other people like.Some people like EB,some like DR,others like elixirs,and some players prefer D'addario.Just experiment until you find the ones you like the most.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I've never liked elixirs.I used them on two guitars once and immediately when back to D'addario lights the next time I changed my strings.

My advice would be to try different brands and find the brand and gauge that YOU like TS,not what other people like.Some people like EB,some like DR,others like elixirs,and some players prefer D'addario.Just experiment until you find the ones you like the most.

Same.

I like D'addario. I use EXL115's on my LP and the set in between 9's and 10's for my custom built.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
it depends for me since i like DR Hi Beams in 11 for my RR5FR and for DKMG/DXMG I like Dunlop Strings in 10.

It'll will better if experiment with strings brands and gauges to find what you want in your tone.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
ooh its tied pretty much Ernie Ball? Elixer? DA?
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers

Elixir's are the only strings that have actually lasted long enough to have me replace them for having flat tone from wear rather than snapping.

Their feel is horridly preferential though, to some like me, it's smooth and slick. To others it's sticky and tacky.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut

Indeed. Elixirs last forever compared to others, but they've always been hideously uncomfortable to me.

Really, string brand/size is pretty much entirely preference. The only definite thing is that heavier gauges means louder. Just grab a new brand/size every time you get new strings until you get one you like. I did this, I eventually ended up on EBs.
Quote by Flying Couch
Indeed. Elixirs last forever compared to others, but they've always been hideously uncomfortable to me.

Really, string brand/size is pretty much entirely preference. The only definite thing is that heavier gauges means louder. Just grab a new brand/size every time you get new strings until you get one you like. I did this, I eventually ended up on EBs.

Yeah,the coating just feels odd,especially when it starts to wear off in spots.The tone also never sounded right to my ears.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Sounds like I'll try EBs first Thank you! UG is always so much help

What about for pick slides... They all the same?

Quote by Zamorak
Uhm, that's a technique

yeah I know I meant are all strings good enough for those? I know the ones that came on my squier weren't...

i like DRs, they last a really long time and feel so silky and smooth. theyre def. my favorite
I like the feel of the Ernie Ball regular Slinkies, they were what I used on my Bullet. I use em on my Les Paul too, just sayin'.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
My guitar came with Slinkys, I just put a set of GHS Boomers on and I love the sound & feel of them.
I use DR .11 strings and they are very comfortable and last long

Ernie Balls have the best feel but they dont last as long
2009 (Used, w/ Tex Mex pups ) MIM Strat
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Is AASing for Blackstar HT-5 head and speaker
Is GASing for Kramer Striker Custom w/o FR
I.. AM.. THE.....THREADKILLER!
I heard DR strings last the longest (more than Elixars) and that Ernie Balls sound good with EMG's.

Personally, I find Dean Markely Blue Steels to rust extremely slowly and they stay very responsive for long periods of time.
I like Ernie Ball I use super slinky(pink) for my two 7 strings, and i use Ernie ball Skinny top/ Heavy bottom's for my 6's. They seem to last me for a very long time and never have had a rust problem.
Quote by colt34
What about for pick slides... They all the same?

Actually, no, I don't think so. I found that I absolutely could not do them on DRs. Maybe it was just me, but I tried DRs 7 or 8 times, never could do it.
my most trusted and favored brand is Ernie Ball. preferably Slinky (green package) (0.09 guage)
to me they just have the best feel, the best sound, produce the best tone, and have the longest life.

no matter what brand you play, stay away from coated strings.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by KAS1981
My guitar came with Slinkys, I just put a set of GHS Boomers on and I love the sound & feel of them.

This.

I use GHS strings, I've tried a lot of different strings and always go back to GHS. More preferably the EJ set has custom gauges in it that are different from the normal .10s.

Though, GHS strings seem to rust and wear out kinda fast, maybe every 2-3 weeks I change my strings.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
my most trusted and favored brand is Ernie Ball. preferably Slinky (green package) (0.09 guage)
to me they just have the best feel, the best sound, produce the best tone, and have the longest life.

I doubt that, but you're probably just more used to them. I use elixirs and they have lasted longer than ANY other brands of string I've previously. I think the tone is slightly worse than uncoated strings, but with a decent amp you'll never notice anyway. My advice would be to find what suits you and your playing style and your budget (elixirs cost more than normal strings, durr).
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

The rest of this post is solid, but as someone who's tried... *Gets old packages kept in gigbag due to packratism* Elixir, EB, GHS, Dunlop, D'Addario, Cleartone, DR, Dean Markley, Fender, Gibson, Rotosound and others, branding all coated strings as bad is like branding all guitars above $350 with Floyd Roses as bad.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Aug 8, 2009,
I like Rotosound.

Hendrix used them.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I used to be an elixir man. Till they jacked the price up.
So now I use super slinkys.

You should be changing your strings regularly anyway. And they're cheap strings.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
This.

I use GHS strings, I've tried a lot of different strings and always go back to GHS. More preferably the EJ set has custom gauges in it that are different from the normal .10s.

Though, GHS strings seem to rust and wear out kinda fast, maybe every 2-3 weeks I change my strings.

Ye. But their price surely make it justice. For the price of a Elixir set I can easily get 3 GHS set. 3 set of GHS will surely last longer than one set Elixirs.

I ussually change my strings every 3~4 weeks anyway. Just cannot play with even slightly dirty strings.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I've tried dozens of brands. For me, D'addario 10-46's on my electrics and Martin SP 11's on my acoustic's.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I like D'ADDARIO EXL140 and GHS Boomers, unlike cheap strings (don't know how you call it "no name/off brand strings" ?) they last much longer.
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Aug 8, 2009,
I use D'addario 9's (gonna try 10's next time) and I don't think i'll ever buy another brand again. The strings that's on my guitar now has been there for about 3 months (yeah, i'm a bad boy... will change ASAP). I've only broken one little e-string only once in like 3-4 packages. They've all been on there atleast 1-2 months at the time.

I really like them, but this is just my opinion... Try them out though!
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
Like a few people have said, it really is personal preferance. Rather than asking what strings we like, just try out loads of different brands and gauges to figure out what you like. I did this a while back, each time I changed strings I used a different brand. You'll probably find several that you like.

At the moment I'm using Rotosounds, but the current batch that I've been using haven't been quite as good as the first set which I used during my string brand experiments. They were pretty cheap though, so I'm not complaining. I think next time I'll go with GHS Boomers, they're probably the strings I like best out of all the ones I've tried.
Oh about the pick slide thing, it just doesn't work on flat wound strings. XD
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Wow lots of different opinions here! I just wanted to know if there is anything to steer clear of. I'll probably end up just trying out all different kinds, I just wanted to know what to start with! haha I don't want to end up with piece of junk strings. And I wanna do pick slides! So thanks for the help I'm actually heading to the guitar store today to pick some up...

About the elixir kind... What is the point in paying more if the EBs sound better and you can get three EBs for the price of one (which lasts longer I would guess)

Also my last strings would stick to my fingers? Which made everything I play sound messy because I would pull my finger off, it would stick, pull it up and it was like strumming again

About the elixir kind... What is the point in paying more if the EBs sound better and you can get three EBs for the price of one (which lasts longer I would guess)/QUOTE]

Well, first off, I like the sound of Elixirs more than I do the sound of Ernie Balls, so that's an opinion you'll need to decide yourself.

As for the higher price, Ernie Balls last me two weeks tops. Elixirs last me months on a bad set. Good sets even longer. They're more because they last longer.

Page 1 of 2