so i've wired an amp just fine, and i am confused by a pickup...
maybe its just because i'm not using it for its actual intent.

basically i'm trying to wire an old bridge humbucker as a microphone, which i'd use a 1/4 and connect ground to sleeve, and lead to tip. but my problem is that i dont know what is what on the pickup, its 4 conductor shielded wire, and normally the braid would be the ground, so i know thats that. but i'd also assume that the black wire is ground as well?anyways its green, red, white, black, and the braid from the shield, what's what in this wire?
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7
so i've wired an amp just fine, and i am confused by a pickup...
maybe its just because i'm not using it for its actual intent.

basically i'm trying to wire an old bridge humbucker as a microphone, which i'd use a 1/4 and connect ground to sleeve, and lead to tip. but my problem is that i dont know what is what on the pickup, its 4 conductor shielded wire, and normally the braid would be the ground, so i know thats that. but i'd also assume that the black wire is ground as well?anyways its green, red, white, black, and the braid from the shield, what's what in this wire?

dont laugh at me!
hahaha, its something i read up on an interview with adam jones, he uses it for some funky feedback effects on tool's 10,000 days. i figure i like odd and expirimental things, i have 2 humbuckers i dont use/need, why not?
Using your pickup as a microphone? As in... for voice?

Not going to work, a pickup works by something called induction where a current inducing emf is created by changing magnetic field in a closed loop of wire.

Unless your voice changes magnetic fields it's not going to do jack ****.
actually for recording my amp? the speaker technically works by changing the magnetic field. i've seen speakers turned into mics before, and i've read about pickups used as guitar mic's so i thought it would work?
nevermind! i found the piece of wire i clipped out of my guitar that tells me whats what, black is the ground, green/white are linked together or split for coil taping, red is the hot wire, and the braid also grounded.