Please excuse the obscenely wordy post. For the people that are really going to hate me for that, the important part is in bold.

Hey, this is my first post, I don't usually go out of my way to ask questions like this, and I know there's another thread on the subject, but since that one died in April I decided to make a new one.

A few weeks ago I was bumbling around in Guitar Center looking for an acoustic to replace my Ovation CC44 Celebrity when I stumbled upon a particularly nice-looking Breedlove. I'd heard good things about the company, so I decided to try it out, and fell in love with its deep, rich tone and clear upper register right away. I checked the tag and it said "Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SR" . I got home and decided to do some research, and I was presented with a bit of a conundrum: I couldn't find many reviews of the newer C25, but instead was directed to reviews of the AC25/SR+ it replaced. All the reviews I read of that guitar were positive, and the only negative I've heard about so far is a "wavy" neck defect that occurred in about one in thirty guitars of that model.

Unfortunately, I also stumbled upon a few threads on forums for different sites claiming that the C25 Stage that replaced the SR+ was a step backwards, along with a few claims that Breedlove has reached the "sellout" stage ( i.e. made a big enough name for themselves that they can skimp on quality. ) Other sources have already told me that the C25 was made to replace the SR+, but I'd really like to know a few things:

1. How does the C25/SR compare to the AC25/SR+?
2. Is the aforementioned neck problem more/less/just as much of a problem in the C25 as it was in the SR+?
3. The other "complaint" I heard about the SR+ was weaker projection than a dreadnaught ( I hesitate to call this a complaint as it is a concert-style guitar. ) Some people were saying that the C25 is louder. Is this true?
4. Does anyone know a similar but better (obviously this is an opinion) guitar in the price range?

Seeing as I'm unemployed at the moment, I'd like to make the best decision possible, and I already feel like a fool for trading in the Ovation because it's less than a year old, it didn't depreciate well, and I'm cheap.

Also, I've heard that the C25 ( and the SR+ ) employs a "better" laminate in the sides that uses the same quality rosewood as the back which is then laminated onto one cheaper, but still decent solid piece of wood as opposed to the particle board that Martin and Taylor use on their lower end guitars. ( Don't get me wrong, they make some of the best guitars in the world, but if it's under about $1600 they're just selling you the name on the headstock.)

Here's a link to the C25 at GC's site:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Stage-C25-SR-Concert-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105131148-i1426738.gc. Another at Breedlove's site: http://www.breedloveguitars.com/instruments/guitars/atlas/StageC25SR/index.php. Just in case you didn't know, the AC25/SR+ is discontinued, and I'm not keen on used instruments, so getting one of those isn't a viable option.

Thanks for your time (especially if you read the whole thing)

EDIT: Also, the OP Pro pickup system on my Ovation didn't sound as great as I'd been led to believe through my VOX AD30VT amp. I know the OP Pro is pretty much the gold standard for cheaper acoustic/electrics, but will the highly-regarded L.R. Bagg's Element pickup system sound any better, or do I just need to find an amp that's better suited for an acoustic/electric?
Last edited by RoflCopter Ace at Aug 8, 2009,
The C25 doesn't have the gold tuners compared to the discontinued model. I really don't see that as a downgradee anyhow, since it's a matter of preference. Also, the old ones didn't have a built in tuner, from what I can understand. Apart from that it's more or less the same game.

On the wavy neck... I guess that could happen to any of the their guitars for that matter. Would sound quite strange if it would only happen to one model of their guitars.

Breedlove actually claimed that their new Atlas models were louder sounding than the previous ones since they reduced the weight of the guitars slightly. But I think there's quite a kindergarden philosophy for some people in here about the sound volume question. It seems like some people just like to say that "my guitar is louder that yours *pointing finger*"

To the fourth question: There's a 95% guarantee that people will tell you to buy a Seagull instead. They pretty good for the price tag, but obviously they doesn't look the same way.
who cares if some people say a guitar is a step backwards? if you love the way it sounds and feels, it's the right guitar.

if you read enough reviews of almost any product, you will see people who had issues or didn't like it. if there's an issue you're really concerned about, i suggest you talk to breedlove and a couple local guitar stores and find out what complaints they're getting. i find that if you talk to sales guys just right, they'll be pretty honest about this kind of stuff.

if you can find a takamine supernatural on sale, i'd definitely check it out. some of the other high end taks also go on sale periodically for the same price as the breedlove, and some sound very good and the electronics in the supernaturals kick ass.

since you apparently don't care for lower end taylors, i'll keep my opinion that they're fine guitars that sound and feel great to myself
Quote by RoflCopter Ace
Also, I've heard that the C25 ( and the SR+ ) employs a "better" laminate in the sides that uses the same quality rosewood as the back which is then laminated onto one cheaper, but still decent solid piece of wood as opposed to the particle board that Martin and Taylor use on their lower end guitars. ( Don't get me wrong, they make some of the best guitars in the world, but if it's under about $1600 they're just selling you the name on the headstock.)

WHAT?!!!

Duel at sundown. Name your second.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

@Rallymonkey: Sounds like you know your stuff. By now I've heard enough good things about the C25 to convince me it's a good deal, and with the tuner it's a much better deal than the SR+ was. The volume question wasn't a huge issue for me, since I'd be using an amp if I wanted more than the standard concert-style fare. Seagulls are solid guitars, and the extra wide string spacing can be nice, I've played quite a few of those and I'll definitely do an A/B with the Breedlove before I buy one, but I just can't get over the bass response of the Breedlove.

@patticake: As anal as I can be about guitars, you've got a point. By now I've started to disregard the odd negative review, especially the ones that appear to be pretty much unfounded ( In the case of the C25, that's most of them.) As for the Taka, I tried one of those at GC the day I picked up the Breedlove and I was really impressed by the playability. From my understanding, most Takamines, including the one I played, play like a classical guitar that is built to stand the tension of steel strings. The thing sounded pretty good too, and right now it's one of my top competitors for the Breedlove. Sorry about the Taylor-bashing, but like I said, I'm cheap, and As awesome as they can be, Taylors just don't strike me as value guitars. On the other hand, they play pretty well and are typically well-constructed and reliable.

@millerdrr: Pretty much the same thing. Martins are great, but they're not quite on par with the tone of Breedlove guitars in this price range. Wouldn't mind a D-28 or a 000-18 though. I'd show you my quick draw, but I've got a guitar to buy tonight.
But I'm only one more pro-Martin post away from being a paid endorser...

Pics of what you get, and a review, would make you an awesome guy.

EDIT wait, did you say you were impressed with the bass on breedlove? superior to Martin?

*runs to music store to re-evaluate some long held personal opinions
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Last edited by millerdrr at Aug 8, 2009,
*LOL* @ millerdrr

taylors don't strike you as value guitars? never buy a guitar based on value - buy it by what feels and sounds good only. i know a number of people with guitars they don't like because they tried to go by feature-to-value instead remembering this is music and value won't help when it comes to a better sound.

besides, taylors have good resale value.
Quote by patticake
*LOL* @ millerdrr

taylors don't strike you as value guitars? never buy a guitar based on value - buy it by what feels and sounds good only. i know a number of people with guitars they don't like because they tried to go by feature-to-value instead remembering this is music and value won't help when it comes to a better sound.

besides, taylors have good resale value.

I think we have a different definition of "value". What I meant was I look for the guitar that sounds and plays best in the price range I'm looking at. I A/B'd the tone of the Breedlove with a comparable Taylor that cost about the same ( Not sure which model,) and the Breedlove came out on top in terms of sound and pretty much matched the Taylor in terms of playability. Even compared it to a $1600 Martin and it came awful damn close. Unfortunately I can't really afford to spend more than what I'm spending on the Breedlove anyway. I guess what I'm saying is IMO value means the overall quality of the guitar compared to others in its price range. Once again, I'm a cheap bastard, so I always look to get the best tone/playability for my buck. As of right now I'm pretty sure that the Breedlove's takes that particular cake for me, but if you think that Taylor makes better guitars in the price range, that's your opinion. At your behest, I will try a few more Taylors, maybe the one I found just wasn't the right one for me.

As for the resale, from what I've seen all foreign-made guitars depreciate at about the same rate. Could be wrong, though.

By the way, I'm really surprised how open-minded y'all are when it comes to guitars. There are some forums where I'd be crucified for down-talking Martin or Taylor. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll make sure I post pics and a review when I finally get my hands on whatever it is I buy. Keep on rockin'/trippin'/chicken-pickin'.
you may be confusing your personal taste with value. to me, nothing comes close to a taylor for the sound i like for fingerstyle in that price range. when i had never heard anything about taylor, the sound alone was what grabbed me. it's not the robust sound of a martin - it has sparkle and clarity. beautiful!

Quote by RoflCopter Ace
I think we have a different definition of "value". What I meant was I look for the guitar that sounds and plays best in the price range I'm looking at. I A/B'd the tone of the Breedlove with a comparable Taylor that cost about the same ( Not sure which model,) and the Breedlove came out on top in terms of sound and pretty much matched the Taylor in terms of playability. Even compared it to a $1600 Martin and it came awful damn close. Unfortunately I can't really afford to spend more than what I'm spending on the Breedlove anyway. I guess what I'm saying is IMO value means the overall quality of the guitar compared to others in its price range. Once again, I'm a cheap bastard, so I always look to get the best tone/playability for my buck. As of right now I'm pretty sure that the Breedlove's takes that particular cake for me, but if you think that Taylor makes better guitars in the price range, that's your opinion. At your behest, I will try a few more Taylors, maybe the one I found just wasn't the right one for me.

As for the resale, from what I've seen all foreign-made guitars depreciate at about the same rate. Could be wrong, though.

By the way, I'm really surprised how open-minded y'all are when it comes to guitars. There are some forums where I'd be crucified for down-talking Martin or Taylor. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll make sure I post pics and a review when I finally get my hands on whatever it is I buy. Keep on rockin'/trippin'/chicken-pickin'.