I recently moved across country. I wasnt about to bring my acoustic in a gig bag, so my brother gave me an electric he picked up and never touched. I am now the proud owner of a '76 Univox Ripper. It needed strings, some work on the bridge, and the jack, but otherwise its a solid, lightly used maple tank.

I was about a month old player when I left (6 days ago) and now I'm getting into new styles, that I finally have an electric (no jobs in middle of nowhere. Now I'm in pheonix, and I cant pick where to go) Anyway, I quickly have out grown this ****ty tempo practice amp I picked up for 20 from my cousin in town.

As of right now, I have a budget of around $200, and I'm looking for a decent practice amp. So far, I've seen a lot of promise in the Roland Cube, and I wanted to know what yoUGuys thought of them.

TLR I need a cheap amp. I've been looking at the Roland Cube. How do you like it? Am I more likely to be satisfied going elsewhere?
Last edited by Ekram at Aug 8, 2009,
alright. i like the micro cube i own. i like my vox more than the full size cube though.
The microcube is ok but with that budget you're better off buying something else. What kind of music are you into?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^ the vox is really good for more blues influenced rock (my opinion). The bigger roland cubes (like the 60 watts and 30 watts etc) is much better for heavier rock/metal. I don't have much experience with the small micro ones, but i have the 60 watt and its awesome. It honestly plays everything well, but metal tones are pretty exceptional for such a small amp that isn't tubular. best thing on the market for a metal/ hard rock practice amp in the low budget range. then probably the peavy vyper and then vox.
Quote by evening_crow
The microcube is ok but with that budget you're better off buying something else. What kind of music are you into?
I'm an indie/alternative. Silversun Pickups, Chris Walla/Ben Gibbard/DCFC, etc.

Edit: Basically I'm looking for versatility. Something that is going to have a potential for high treble, but has the facilities to distort, trem, etc. Thats one thing that I found really attractive in the cube.
Last edited by Ekram at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by firebird103
^ the vox is really good for more blues influenced rock (my opinion). The bigger roland cubes (like the 60 watts and 30 watts etc) is much better for heavier rock/metal. I don't have much experience with the small micro ones, but i have the 60 watt and its awesome. It honestly plays everything well, but metal tones are pretty exceptional for such a small amp that isn't tubular. best thing on the market for a metal/ hard rock practice amp in the low budget range. then probably the peavy vyper and then vox.

I was looking at vox too. The Pathfinder looks decent.
cube is good
vox valvetronix too
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
I've got a Roland Cube, and it's an awesome little amp, quite versatile. I highly recommend it for your budget.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
I tried a cube 30x out at a guitar shop the other day.

I think my Vypyr 30 sounds better.

The cube is probably more reliable though.
Quote by KAS1981
I tried a cube 30x out at a guitar shop the other day.

I think my Vypyr 30 sounds better.

The cube is probably more reliable though.

The Vypyr looks pretty cool, but for anything, I just got an email back from a friend. He tells me stories of abuse to his cube I just cant walk away from.

@Splamron, I've gotten a few emails back amounting to the same thing.
Quote by Regensgeliebte
cube is good
vox valvetronix too

Basically this.

My friend owns a Cube, and I own a Vox Valvetronix , and they're both solid amps for the price.
Cubes are awesome amps- I'm currently selling my 60 to finance studio time, a producer, mastering... but yeah- it shall be missed.