I'm getting a new head and I was thinking about a Mesa Dual Rectifier, though I don't really need a 100 watt tube amp.... Should I just get the Single Rec for a few hundred less? Or is the Dual that much better that I should just go ahead and get it? The price isn't really a big issue, but I would rather not needlessly spend hundreds more for something that's only a little better. I have an Orange 212 cab.

Also, forgive my ignorance with this, but the Single doesn't have a 16 ohm output, only an 8 and two 4's. I don't know what the case is with the Dual. But my cab is 120 watt @ 16 ohms. Would I be able to use the 8 ohm out on the Single with the 16 ohm input on the cab without causing a problem with either? And does the Dual have a 16 ohm output?
Single recs are really good, and from what i can gather will do mostly what you want. Dual recs are more versatile however but with any mesa it will take time to dial in that sweet tone you're after.

As for the ohm thing Im inclined to say yes but I'm not exactly sure. Go to google and search for the "Boogie Board" its a forum of dedicated and experienced Mesa users that can help you with a lot of the technical stuff for setting up your amp and rig.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
always make sure theres equal or more ohms(resistence) in the cab than the amp jack. so you can put the 8ohm amp jack to the 16ohm cab jack. it will probably sound darker though, than being able to go from the same resistence on the amp to the cab. My dual rec has a 16 ohm jack for a 16ohm cab i have, sounds beast as ****. in the long run it will be tone you dial in that makes your sound, just will give you more options if you can at least match your cab.
Last edited by metal_man12 at Aug 8, 2009,
Yes the Dual has a 16Ohm out on it. Do you use a lot of cleans? The Dual has more head room than the Single. And tonally the single is not quite as aggressive as the Dual. And keep in mind the volume difference between 50 and 100 watts is barely noticeable.

I like the Dual More options. 3 Channels choose between Tube/Diode rectification. And at stage volumes the clean channel is not going to break up on the Dual as early as the Single.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
have a look at the Roadster. IMO it sounds way WAY better than the dual rectifier, and it has the wattage switch, so you can lower it if you don't need all 100 watts. It's also cheaper.
Quote by boxcarmonument
And keep in mind the volume difference between 50 and 100 watts is barely noticeable.

not at the high end of the volume knob, but when you've only got it at 3 or 4, i guarantee you'll notice a difference.
i think in terms of ohms it has to be a minimum of what is stated on the cab so no.
My understanding of speaker cab loading is that you can take liberties with SS amps but not valve amps. So if you have a 16ohm cab you need to have a 16ohm output on your amp. If you dont mind your cab being modded, you could get it re-wired for 4ohms instead of 16ohms very easily, or have a 4/16ohms switch fitted, which would make it more versatile in the future
Wattage isn't really an issue with metal/hard rock amps, because most of the overdrive comes from the preamp section rather than the power tubes.
Very high wattages are often desirable because it gives the amp more headroom and clarity - though remember it comes at the cost of added weight.
Pick up a Randall RM100 with an Ultra module or a Recto module. Cheaper, and will nail that sweet sweet recto tone.... that's what I did!

EDIT:

^^^ I just sold my 200 watter, but man that thing was heavy!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
have a look at the Roadster. IMO it sounds way WAY better than the dual rectifier, and it has the wattage switch, so you can lower it if you don't need all 100 watts. It's also cheaper.

Cheaper?? How is the roadster cheaper?? Roadster=$1999.00 Dual=$1799
Roadster is better than the dual rec in my opinion, but like another chap on here said it willrun you around 2000 new, more likely 1500-1700 used.

When it comes to Mesa I'm a big fan of the Mark series of amplifiers, IMO i find them much clearer sounding, very versatile, and i believe they run at 50 Watts, not exactly sure. But price wise the Mark IV you'll have to search forums for because its no longer made but people are selling them for like 1000-1400; the Mark V is pretty cool too, 2000 new, haven't seen any heads being sold used yet though. I tested a Mark V out and I don't think its worth 2000 so if you do happen to find one used for a few hundred off it may be worth it. I prefer the mark IV over the V though.

Quote by demigod90234
Roadster is better than the dual rec in my opinion, but like another chap on here said it willrun you around 2000 new, more likely 1500-1700 used.

When it comes to Mesa I'm a big fan of the Mark series of amplifiers, IMO i find them much clearer sounding, very versatile, and i believe they run at 50 Watts, not exactly sure. But price wise the Mark IV you'll have to search forums for because its no longer made but people are selling them for like 1000-1400; the Mark V is pretty cool too, 2000 new, haven't seen any heads being sold used yet though. I tested a Mark V out and I don't think its worth 2000 so if you do happen to find one used for a few hundred off it may be worth it. I prefer the mark IV over the V though.

you do realize how differently the marks are voiced from the Recto's right? Completely different beasts
Get a used Single Solo 50. I love mine. Paid $700 for it. So many tones in these amps. You must download the manual to understand how the controls interact with each other. Yes it only has 4 and 8ohms. You can safely plug in a 16ohm cab per Mesa.

Here's mine, I love this amp.

it seems no one has pointed it out yet. one of the bigger difference between the single and the dual is the dual has tube rectifiers while the single is on a solid. tube rectifiers allow picking dynamics, like how heavy you want your attacks depending on how heavy you strum. wattage wise 50 watt is just as loud as 100 watt. you're not going to notice any noticeable volume drop if you go with a 50. my conclusion. get a dual rectifier or one of these roadsters. or you can look around for a MARk 4 or 5
Quote by kckyle
it seems no one has pointed it out yet. one of the bigger difference between the single and the dual is the dual has tube rectifiers while the single is on a solid. tube rectifiers allow picking dynamics, like how heavy you want your attacks depending on how heavy you strum. wattage wise 50 watt is just as loud as 100 watt. you're not going to notice any noticeable volume drop if you go with a 50. my conclusion. get a dual rectifier or one of these roadsters. or you can look around for a MARk 4 or 5

That helped....

The dual is switchable between silicon diode rectification and tube.....either or. Not one or the other. The Roadster has smoothed out gain, however.....I still say for versatility and tone...go with a Randall RM100 Between the Ultra and the Recto modules they NAIL the recto tone
Quote by Brendan.Clace
you do realize how differently the marks are voiced from the Recto's right? Completely different beasts

True they are voiced differently but I've run Mark IV's where I've been able to calibrate them to play anything from clean warm Jazz to extreme brutal metal

I vote go test them all out. The Rectos and the Randall... And the Roadsters or Marks if you can find them.
Does it HAVE to be a Mesa?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Does it HAVE to be a Mesa?

I second your point Death. There are much better amps out there, but it will cost you more.

Quote by demigod90234
I second your point Death. There are much better amps out there, but it will cost you more.

Talking about orange?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Talking about orange?

Orange is cool and all but i was thinking more like Bogner, Splawn, Soldano, Engl, Diezel.

Quote by demigod90234
Orange is cool and all but i was thinking more like Bogner, Splawn, Soldano, Engl, Diezel.

Can you suggest me a good alternative to a mesa dual rectifier? Maybe a little bit cheaper or for the same price used: about 1100$ 1200$
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
Can you suggest me a good alternative to a mesa dual rectifier? Maybe a little bit cheaper or for the same price used: about 1100$ 1200$

Randall RM100 with a Clean, Recto and Ultra XL module. Recto tone through and through.
Stick with a Dual. Don't go Randall RM all modules sound the same, trust me I had a Rm100 with 10 modules
Quote by mwalluk
Stick with a Dual. Don't go Randall RM all modules sound the same, trust me I had a Rm100 with 10 modules

lol

wow...
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Randall RM100 with a Clean, Recto and Ultra XL module. Recto tone through and through.

You really need to shop around the used market for a good price. I use a Splawn Quickrod which is pretty much a 2 channel amp but has to overdrive settings which can switch between three gears or different types of drives.

Its pretty versatile depending on how you dial in your tone.

New it retails for like 1800, I picked a used one up in mint condition for 1500, you might be able to find a used one up that has some more time played on it for around that 1100-1200 range.

Honestly though, if you'r not in a clutch and don't mind saving your money, save up and get a Diezel herbert. like new they're like 4500 or something crazy, but my buddy just got a used one for 2200.

Bogner Uberschall is an equivalent but will be in the 2000-3000 range, same as an Engl SE 740 or whatever the number is on it.