I'm playing a couple gigs next week where I will be getting paid some fairly serious cash, so I have decided that I'm going to replace my ****ty Digitech Hot Rod pedal with something better. But I'm not a huge gear head so I don't really know much about distortion pedals outside of the Tubescreamer and the Big Muff (both of which I will soon try), and so I'm looking for suggestions of good pedals for me to check out.

My current gigging set up is a 1962 Fender Jazzmaster with a Fender Blues Jr. amp. I would consider myself a very versatile musician and have played in bands with many different styles including piano pop, jazz/funk, indie rock, blues, and progressive metal. I probably won't play too much heavier stuff in the near future (though I love it) but I need something that's can work in many different styles but also has a little bit of muscle when I need it to. Any suggestions?
the boss mega distortion or digitech grunge might work
Anything too stupid to be said is sung.
I like the Digitech Tonedriver- its an overdrive pedal, but its so versatile for its price...

try craigslist or ebay for good, cheap examples
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
^I like the Digitech Grunge myself...

Whatever you do, please don't purchase the Digitech Hot Head. It's a very thin sounding pedal. Even with tube amps!
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
i have a digitech grunge, too much feedback, unless u have a noise surpresser or something og the sorts
Dont waste your time with the cheap crap, music is one of those industries that unfortunately 80% of the time the more you spend the better it usually is. For a versatile distortion pedal I would Suggest getting a Fulltone OCD which reatils for around $160, you can probably snag one used in good condition for around $120 or so. I have used one in the past and was able to get it to do drive from a subtle classic rock to boosting a blues solo or even doing the metal crunch and getting a sweet boost for an awesome shred solo.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Fulldrive

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.