So i'm looking to go used for a amp, I'm still trying to decide between a combo or get a stack thing?

I'm looking to spend around $700-900AUS but i'm not sure what i should be looking for around that for used,

I play mostly metal, metallica, all that remains, but i like having some cleans etc to mess around with but mostly heavy metal

EDIT: it will be for house, (living room, big bed room) use but later on band practice and hopefully small gigs
Last edited by BoL7z at Aug 8, 2009,
For $900 Aus there won't be any good stacks out there.

Look for a combo, a $900 valve combo will we enough with a band as you should be able to get something 30W+ (Though you will probably want something around the 40-50W mark if you're looking to get into a metal band.)

Keep in mind that an amp that sounds good at band volumes will sound pretty bad at home, at least compared to its cranked tone.

For that budget there's not too much out there for Metal.

Have a look for some ENGL combo's. You might be able to get a JCM900, though the distortion on these is a bit harsh.

Another option is to get an amp with loud and clear cleans and then get a nice dirt box like an MI Audio Crunchbox. I've got a Crunchbox and can recommend them, they have more than enough gain. Also, they're Aussie built.

You could possibly go the SS route and use a nice pedal for dirt, but tubes sound better.

Are you in Melbourne? Then check out Music Swop Shop in Carlton, and Manny's on St. Georges Road, they have a fair bit of used gear. Also Ebay.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Might be able to find a used JCM900 combo for that price.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Yeah i've been looking at that bugera,

I have my eyes on a peavey 75w vypyr but i'm exploring my options for used stuff around the same price + bit extra
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Aug 8, 2009,
Cool but i'm in brisbane, so i'll have to pickup,

I'm just wondering about what sorta amp models / stack models i should be looking for at around $600-900 or whatever

so i can keep looking on ebay + local paper etc.

but because i'm just playing in a living room / home / practice (not in a band yet)

I'm not sure a stack would be the best option but i guess that way i can future proof.
Try look for a Line 6 Flextone
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by BoL7z
So i'm looking to go used for a amp, I'm still trying to decide between a combo or get a stack thing?

I'm looking to spend around $700-900AUS but i'm not sure what i should be looking for around that for used,

I play mostly metal, metallica, all that remains, but i like having some cleans etc to mess around with but mostly heavy metal

EDIT: it will be for house, (living room, big bed room) use but later on band practice and hopefully small gigs

sucks being in australia doesnt it mate!
im in the same situation, looking to buy an amp but prices in australia suck the big one
I'm still very tempted to get the 75W vypyr mostly because it can do band practice and small gigs, and as well as home practice,

But then a stack would be good for future proofing,

but then i'm looking at used and most stuff around $600-900AUD are stacks i haven't seen many decent combos around, maybe a JCM2000, but no-one seems to be selling them.

Even tempted to just try find a used 75w vypyr and save my money for a nicer guitar, but i'm happy with my guitar atm,
Dude, with that money don't resort to a solid state, go for a Bugera or something.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
what are bugeras like for metal?

I've never heard of them till now

Also since i've heard marshall MGs are ****, how about other marshalls?
also since i'm living at home still, prob move out early next year, i don't want something that will destroy my house, but will still be able to crank it during most days

So i'm not 100% sure how a half stack will go, but also how heavy are they? since i'm guessing fair heavy? since when i do join a band i'm not 100% sure i want to drag one around as my car isn't that big,

So maybe a combo is a better option?
What are bugera combos like? are they SS? they have "valve" ones i think

Like the 333XL there's the head version and there's a combo version

i'm guessing the combo version is the same as the 333XL but smaller scale?
Valve is tube,

all bugera amps are tube expect for the bass amps.

The combo is the exact same as the head, just in a combo ha.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
ah cool, I'll have to try keep an eye out for bugera i've never really heard of them

But after seeing some videos they sound pretty nice,

Dunno if i'll get a half stack then since they are nearly the same? mostly due to size and having to lug it around to a band practice when i get that far, also the fact is do you really need it that loud in band practice / small gigs?
Combo will do fine, 120 watts of roaring tube goodness.
"do you really need it that loud in band practice / small gigs?"
what do you mean?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I mean do you really need to have the cabinet because you probably won't turn the combo up to max at band practice / small gigs etc

also for some reason i thought solid state was what they were made off lolz not like tube etc

What would be better 333XL combo or the 6262-212, 6260-212

Also they're $800 brand new not used :S

Also how hard is it to change a tube? also what about turning it on i hear you have to wait before you can use it, but how long do you have to wait?
Last edited by BoL7z at Aug 8, 2009,
You would never need to turn it up max

Bugeras are alllllllllll tube my friend lol.

If i had a choice i'd say the 333XL,
cheap aren't they

I haven't had a tube amp so i can't say.. but you leave it on standby for bout 1 minute or whatever to let them heat up etc..
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
With the combo vs stack,

Do they sound exact same just 2 less speakers?

or are they slight different in sound,

Def looking at this bugera now there's a shop about 30mins away i might go inspect them, but after watching a few youtube videos i'm really liking the sound,
Is this the 2nd or 3rd amp thread you've made? I remember making a bit of input into the last one, lol

For that much, you won't find a decent stack, even used, except maybe a Randall. Combos, some Bugeras and Marshalls perhaps if you extend your budget. For metal, Bugeras are excellent, just make sure you get warranty. I'm personally looking at getting a 333. I'd get the 6262 but it doesn't have a lineout, so yeah, try those. They're more than loud enough for what you need, even in combo form, and they won't break the bank. You might have to stretch your budget a little.

The difference between the combo and the stack (with the Bugera cab) is there, but minimal. Playing it through say a 1960A head sounds a lot different. Definitely play through it yourself. They're great amps.

If you end up looking at a used 75w Vypyr again... well, look down a few lines.
just so you know a 2x12 tube combo is a heavy son of a biatch, so if your buying a combo purely on it being easier to move it really isn't much easier. a separate head and 2x12 cabinet will be easier to move around.
Hmm the problem is price with the Cab / head tho as it's around $1400+ for a head + cab

And about $900 for the combo,

That's new prices anyway

Also i only have a smallish car (lancer) so it might be hard to get a cab into my boot, (it's only 2 door),

I'm still trying to decide between the 6262 and 333XL, I'm leaning towards for the 333XL,

Also if anyone is brisbane and constantly in music shops has anyone seen 333XL or a 6262? And for around how much?

trying to get prices on both,

Does anyone know how much the 333xl combo would be in KGs as well as the Cab / head?