Page 1 of 2
its not really that easy or possible on guitar, on bass its pretty easy. IF you're referring to the Hendrix tricks, I thought he played with his teeth not his tounge.
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
For some reason I find it funny that this was put in the Guitar Techniques section
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
I don't think the tongue would have half enough power/muscle to even do it in the first place.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
just hold your guitar up to your mouth and flick your tongue without making contact with the strings and just use legato
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I don't think the tongue would have half enough power/muscle to even do it in the first place.

Actually your tongue is one of the strongest muscles in your body.
Quote by Telestar
That guitar tomfoolery is just not my kind of taste, bud.

I see what you did there...

Although, to stay on topic, you might be able to get a really crap strum out of it. But no picking.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Last edited by Glimsom at Aug 8, 2009,
lol do some tongue-workouts, get some calluses on it, then it'll be just like a finger.

Hendrix did play with his tongue sort of ish. at least it looked a bit like the sound was coming from it, he'd do some quick hendrixy trills and lick his tongue in and out real fast and just looked damn cool, it's on the monterey dvd somewhere
Quote by tom1thomas1
lol do some tongue-workouts, get some calluses on it, then it'll be just like a finger.

Hendrix did play with his tongue sort of ish. at least it looked a bit like the sound was coming from it, he'd do some quick hendrixy trills and lick his tongue in and out real fast and just looked damn cool, it's on the monterey dvd somewhere

Hendrix didn't use his tongue at all. People thought he did and so he would make it appear that he did infact use his tongue. He used his teeth to play, which is why he's known to play guitar with his teeth.

As far as I know, you can't play with your tongue. If you can, show us a video of you doing it. The strings on a guitar are far too close together and you'd most likely cut your tongue. Better yet, but if a string popped while you're trying to do it? Cut your tongue clean off.
Quote by ripjoestrummer
For some reason I find it funny that this was put in the Guitar Techniques section

This is an entirely apt discussion for Guitar Tecjniques, its like how do you play bass with your penis lol
Gear:Schecter C1+
Peavey Triple XXX 120 Watt Tube Head
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Recto Cab

Mesa/Boogie 4x12 Stilletto Cab<<--600$ for sale ask me

Credentials: BFA in Theater Performance, BM in Music Composition
this sounds like it belongs in the Pit
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Eryth
Actually your tongue is one of the strongest muscles in your body.

thats a myth, you cant possibly believe its true
Quote by subzero364
thats a myth, you cant possibly believe its true

proportionally it is, in fact, the strongest muscle in your body. its just that its so small that it can't generate as much strength as a bigger muscle. If it were the size of your leg muscles, it would definitely be the strongest muscle in the body
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
i bet the TS is referring to what vai does, basically a tap harmonic using his tongue to tap (just the once and he`s got the sustainer turned on). it`s on the live at the astoria dvd but can`t remember which tune.
May also refer to Guitar Hero. Run Dmc "plays with his tounge" during walk this way. Dunno id he actually even plays guitar tho. Imma go try playing w/ tounge real quik. Will reply asap. unless my tongue is lopped off.
Technique proven! Played clean intro to Cemetery Gates no problem, also Bulls on Parade (no solo) really easily!!! Btw, guitar strings dont taste too great and i got drool on my pickups. :P
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Aug 9, 2009,
Two words..... Steve Vai. Although he was using a sustainer and licking a different string. So it doesnt count :P
LOL!

How dumb can you get mate? Why dont you trying playing some chromatic exercises on the high e with your tongue and see what happends, lol.

Stupidest thing i've ever heard.
Guitar FTW
the way i'd assume most do it... a lot of distortion and a sustainer pickup... the littlest vibration and you can get any sound out of it
If you do practice using your tongue, be sure to incorporate some string skipping and alternate tongue exercises. Try to use all downlicks for Master of Puppets.
This is not a wind instrument forum.
If you meant teeth, then don't bother with that either, it's unoriginal now.

I'd rather not be a douche bag about it, but it's probably best you don't bother with trick moves like that.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
hahahahaha when they do this they arent actually playing with their tounge. its very convincing though. what they are doing is just holding the guitar up to their face and tapping with their left hand or holding the guitar by the bridge with their plam and picking naturally
With a loop pedal (thankyou PG)

Quote by Sir Anonymous
That doesn't make a lick of sense.

This thread is full of horrible puns
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
You can play with your tongue, I do it sometimes.

Just don't do it for that long or your tongue'll hurt like hell.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by jsepguitar
If you do practice using your tongue, be sure to incorporate some string skipping and alternate tongue exercises. Try to use all downlicks for Master of Puppets.

I lol'd. Hard.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
you lay your guitar on a bed, play romantic music to a candle lit room and go wild.

I just pissed my pants.....................................
Quote by simpleben09
just practice on your girlfriend

rofl. good advice

this thread is in bad taste
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B