is an acoustic top thin enough to slowly cut out with and xacto knife for guide lines and just use simple tools to slowly get a piece out or do i still have to use a router? im asking this question because i want to do something like kurt cobain did on their unplugged album

heres a pic for reference

i know this is the little plastic collectable thing, but this is the only thing i can find showing the pickups. also how would i mount a pickup to the soudhole using pickup mounting rings?
Quote by AmericanParadox
cuztomizing guitars = best thing in the world. Better than sex.

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Yeah it's thin enough. But you're probably going to run into the cross bracing that is thicker wood. You should NOT cut through those braces, whether you use a router or whatever. You need to determine where those braces are in relation to where you want to mount the pups then go from there. Not sure about the best way to mount the pups though.

Measured the spacing from strings to body yet?

EDIT: This most certainly is not a stupid idea. Hell, doing things like this is how guitar got to where it is today! That's like saying mounting a locking nut to a Floyd equipped guitar is stupid.

Modding and experimenting on guitars is how things progress!
Last edited by halo71 at Aug 8, 2009,
im actually just planning ahead, i got my eye on a acoustic on sale at guitar center, and i've been wanting to mod an acoustic for quite a while now.

EDIT: what should i do to avoid the x braces?
Quote by AmericanParadox

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Last edited by guitarmankyle at Aug 8, 2009,
If it were me, I'd try to find a cheaper used one of Craigslist or something to "practice" this mod on.
Quote by halo71
If it were me, I'd try to find a cheaper used one of Craigslist or something to "practice" this mod on.

yea but @ gc they have a guitar for $65 and i have a 10% off so i wuz thinking why not
Quote by AmericanParadox

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by guitarmankyle
yea but @ gc they have a guitar for $65 and i have a 10% off so i wuz thinking why not

yeah, go for that. it can't hurt to use that to gain MODing experience
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarmankyle

Ohhhh, yeah well in that case.....get the saw out!
Does anyone have an idea how i can avoid the x braces?
Quote by AmericanParadox

GB&C RULES

Gear:
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Boss Ds-1
Digitech RP55
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
Ibanez Fz7 Fuzz
Marshall MG10CD 40W
Modded POS Strat
Quote by halo71
Yeah it's thin enough. But you're probably going to run into the cross bracing that is thicker wood. You should NOT cut through those braces, whether you use a router or whatever. You need to determine where those braces are in relation to where you want to mount the pups then go from there. Not sure about the best way to mount the pups though.

Measured the spacing from strings to body yet?

EDIT: This most certainly is not a stupid idea. Hell, doing things like this is how guitar got to where it is today! That's like saying mounting a locking nut to a Floyd equipped guitar is stupid.

Modding and experimenting on guitars is how things progress!

It is when he could just buy a soundhole mounting pup! That way you don't have a but ugly guitar when TS wants to take em back out (say it wont ever happen I'll bet my life it will). But what the **** ever more power to you!

edit: ^ You cant, either cut em out like he did or don't.
Last edited by Comrade Curry at Aug 8, 2009,
try surface mounted pickups and resess the whole body plate to account for the high action?

EDIT: or just underbrace the braces if you know what i mean?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 8, 2009,
It's doable, and I think the X-Acto knife is a decent idea, at least for a few passes.

One thing you can do, is examine the cross bracing with a mirror. Just get a pocket mirror and throw it down into the body, and see where you can mount a pickup.

Once you get that far, you can mark out where you're planning to place your pickup ''holes''. Then just drill a hole in the pickup hole and cut it out with a fret saw/coping saw. Use a fine blade, and cut on the down stroke and you should be golden!

I'd suggest a little practice with a fretsaw/coping saw, just because they aren't as easy to use as you'd think.
Quote by Comrade Curry
It is when he could just buy a soundhole mounting pup! That way you don't have a but ugly guitar when TS wants to take em back out (say it wont ever happen I'll bet my life it will). But what the **** ever more power to you!

edit: ^ You cant, either cut em out like he did or don't.

Dude, do you really think you'd get the same tone with a pup mounted in the sound hole as you would mounted back towards the bridge like TS is wanting to do? I still don't understand why you are against modding a cheap guitar though.
Quote by halo71
Dude, do you really think you'd get the same tone with a pup mounted in the sound hole as you would mounted back towards the bridge like TS is wanting to do? I still don't understand why you are against modding a cheap guitar though.

Ah **** my bad I thought we were talking about a nice guitar (I can't tell but in the pic it looks like a martin, I guess I made a wrong relation or somethin), how cheap though?
Quote by Comrade Curry
Ah **** my bad I thought we were talking about a nice guitar (I can't tell but in the pic it looks like a martin, I guess I made a wrong relation or somethin), how cheap though?

Even if it were a martin, if he wants to do that then let him get on with it, experimentation, thats what art is all about.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I'd say a router would work well, it'd slice that top like butter. Obviously with a template, but nice idea. I do love that guitar of kurts.

~SS
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by FuzzLove
Even if it were a martin, if he wants to do that then let him get on with it, experimentation, thats what art is all about.

How am I gonna stop him? I'm gonna go to his house and take the knife out of his hand? Oh yes that sounds grand, I think I'll do that, TS just do it.
that acoustic isnt really modded. it's a martin d-18e. the martin d-18e had electronics on it. look it up.

pretty sure the 3rd pickup on it just slid into the soundhole.