so i posted on here about eq problems did what i was told and its still not working for me. like i said in my other post im trying to get the "korn" sound..I have a b-52 combo 100w i have an ibanez 7 string along with the metal muff, a phaser,flanger/chours,delay,wah. im dead on with fear factory,rammstien, deftones, ect. thats why im so confused. i can get the sounds of other bands but not korn's.. and i know that im playing it right and i keep in mine alot of people confuse some guitar parts with the bass and the lack of another guitar.. but i have a pretty good ear and to me its not close
Focus on your own tone dude
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Lol, i would strive not to get the Korn sound. i really dont like their sound. Are you using the onboard distortion or the pedal?

Edit: Also what model is the 7-string. I find the sound of the pickups in Ibanez's lower end 7s to be very muddy.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Last edited by Drew Dolezal at Aug 8, 2009,
The thing about matching tones can be tricky. I'd model after some live albums. I know that some of Y'all dont like the way that KORN sound, but a hell of a lot of people do. Dimebag gets the same crap sometimes and it just drives me crazy.

There just isnt any reason to say that a professional's tone is bad, just say its not your taste. I hate the way Geddy Lee sings, but his voice isnt bad, its just not one that makes me happy.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by bucketmark
Focus on your own tone dude

being that im broke and i cant afford lessons i have to learn everything on my own. i cant learn how to use the eq's on my amp if i play the music of one band..
Dont worry too much, thats all. Dont take too much here personal, it is an opinion driven forum, afterall.

Its good advice though. The more you strive to sound like someone else, the more of yourself that you lose.

I'll bet you have a sound that you like, maybe you could learn the songs, and play them better in due time, with a tone that defines you. Most of tone is in the hands and soul, and rest is in your equipment.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
being broke has NOTHING to do with that..
i am self taught, never had a lesson EVER. I've learnt everything ino about gear from the internet. The internet is your friend mate, Play more with your EQ and you will start to develop an ear for tone.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by Drew Dolezal
Lol, i would strive not to get the Korn sound. i really dont like their sound. Are you using the onboard distortion or the pedal?

Edit: Also what model is the 7-string. I find the sound of the pickups in Ibanez's lower end 7s to be very muddy.

Ibanez RG7321 is what i have...and thats the thing.. its muddy.. take the song "right now"

but i also think it has to do with the string gauge and my dist.. what kinda pick ups should i look into ?
If you want Korns exact sound, your going to need thier exact gear, and thier excat talent, and thier exact playing styles, and thats a long shot. Pick Ups will get you close, but not close enough.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by bucketmark
being broke has NOTHING to do with that..
i am self taught, never had a lesson EVER. I've learnt everything ino about gear from the internet. The internet is your friend mate, Play more with your EQ and you will start to develop an ear for tone.

i wanna be a guitar god now damnit!
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
If you want Korns exact sound, your going to need thier exact gear, and thier excat talent, and thier exact playing styles, and thats a long shot. Pick Ups will get you close, but not close enough.

i think the fact that i can get everyone's sound and not thiers pisses me off
ill fuk with it more se what happens
You aren't serious bout the guitar god crap right..?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
imo id work on achieving your own individual tone instead of copying someone elses
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Quote by bucketmark
You aren't serious bout the guitar god crap right..?

....yeah...
Quote by th0rzh4mm3r
imo id work on achieving your own individual tone instead of copying someone elses

thing is i have my own sound..thats not the problem..i enjoy playing other ppl's stuff thats all. it would help to sound like somone to know if im playin it right.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

haha this post made me laugh If you want korns exact sound you need their gear their ability and style but pickups should get you close
im really failing to see whats so wrong with trying to "get close" to the sound of a band. i think its pretty sad that you all have nothing better to do then look down on someone from your high horse and tell me to get my own sound, wtf?? all i asked was there something i was doing wrong..?? sometimes i forget im talking to the jimmy page''s and eric claptons.
Ah quit your whining kid & concentrate on your totally awesome corn cob sound
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Ah quit your whining kid & concentrate on your totally awesome corn cob sound

yeah good luck with the top 40 sh!t you emo ***s churn out
Top 40? Sorry what?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Nice faggot
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
yeah same babe
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Not here to start a fight buddy.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by dogtags99
Ibanez RG7321 is what i have...and thats the thing.. its muddy.. take the song "right now"

Ok, well I don't know anything about Korn, but I imagine that they have a generic metal sound, so the tone you hear is from their fingers, not from the amp or the guitar. Work on your technique to improve the muddy situation.

Remember, all guitars sound different after being mixed up with different instruments and then sound completely different after the album has been mastered, so the only real way to get an idea of their tone is find a live video with a guitar solo, and start there.
Quote by dandadog
Ok, well I don't know anything about Korn, but I imagine that they have a generic metal sound, so the tone you hear is from their fingers, not from the amp or the guitar. Work on your technique to improve the muddy situation.

Remember, all guitars sound different after being mixed up with different instruments and then sound completely different after the album has been mastered, so the only real way to get an idea of their tone is find a live video with a guitar solo, and start there.

thank you dandog
Try scooping the mids a bit in your amp, the muff set it something like this:
(clock positions) volume=9, tone= 11 sustain=7 and have it on with your amp's distortion or whatever pedal you use for distortion. That should get you somewhat close, the muff I don't think they use it by itself, so try having it on along with your other source of distortion.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
Quote by Victor Manuel
Try scooping the mids a bit in your amp, the muff set it something like this:
(clock positions) volume=9, tone= 11 sustain=7 and have it on with your amp's distortion or whatever pedal you use for distortion. That should get you somewhat close, the muff I don't think they use it by itself, so try having it on along with your other source of distortion.

sounds really close!! thanx!!
dude, by that top 40 sh*t it sounds like you're accusing him of listening to mainstream music. When you listen to KORN!! hahaha... Just saying, and none of these guys are bashing you, they're saying you should get your own sound. You don't need to sound just like korn to know you're playing it right.
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion