i need a new amp asap and i was wondering if the line 6 spider iii 15 watt is a really good amp
so yes or no or suggestions on any other amps
No.
Amps:
Fender Frontman 15r

Guitars:
Epiphone Dot Studio
Squier Strat

Pedals:
Crybaby Original Wah
Boss DS-1
no dude **** no. if you get a spider it has to be AT LEAST 75 watts. The Spider II 112 is good. a 15 watt is NOT. for the same price you can go out and get a fender Blues Junior. same wattage, INFINITELY better tone.
Pair that Gibson up with an amp that will give it some wings. Anything but a Modeler should do just fine, on a budget.

Tube - Fender Blues Jr.
Epi Valve Jr.

SS - Anything that dosent have amp models built in within your budget, but some modelers have great tone, like the vettas (So I have heard)
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no dude **** no. if you get a spider it has to be AT LEAST 75 watts. The Spider II 112 is good. a 15 watt is NOT. for the same price you can go out and get a fender Blues Junior. same wattage, INFINITELY better tone.

1. Extra wattage doesn't make the SS spider series any better imo. The valve spiders are the only spiders that are worth it imo
2. The Spider II 112 isnt that great
3. Even though the Blues Junior is the same wattage its tube so its perceived louder by the ear. Its also more expensive than the spider.

TS- For your budget I would suggest a Peavey Vyper 15. Its much better than the Spider III

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

This man speaketh the truth. 75 watts are a minimum for Spiders to sound decent.

15 watts sound like poo, I can't defend them. I hear that the one modeling amp from Peavy was the same price and way better.

EDIT: To the man above, technically, you'd think it wouldn't make a difference, but you really only hear it when you do a side by side comparison of all the Spider III amps with the same guitar.
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Aug 8, 2009,
i dont know **** about Line 6 spider III. but a friend of mine bought it and he likes it....i guess because he dosent mind the so called digital tone that it has and he claims its loud....but...thats all hear say..i have no idea if he says is true...i guess go to a shop and try it out for yourself and see if you like it
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
No, don't get it, it's crap. Even my dad could tell how crappy it was when I A/B'd it with my Vox.

Edit: Also, don't get an MG. They're terrible.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by jc349
1. Extra wattage doesn't make the SS spider series any better imo. The valve spiders are the only spiders that are worth it imo
2. The Spider II 112 isnt that great
3. Even though the Blues Junior is the same wattage its tube so its perceived louder by the ear. Its also more expensive than the spider.

TS- For your budget I would suggest a Peavey Vyper 15. Its much better than the Spider III

are you kidding? the 15w has the tinniest hollowest sound imaginable. the 75 watt makes up for it by being big and having some low end.

put them next to each other, you'll know right away. wattage doesn't mean anything with tube amps. with solid state modelling amps however, the difference is huge.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 8, 2009,
As the semi-proud owner of a 75w Spider III, I can tell you that I love the clean tones, the blues models, and the crunch settings. Anything above that sounds like Im playing an electric banjo on insane mode in a coffee can with pick-ups covered in tin foil.

The Metal and insane modes this amp has are rough on the ears, and I have a few crap recordings to prove it. Dont worry, I wont punish you with them. I get a lot of flack here over my FM 100, but its miles better. It takes pedals well, and it doesnt have any "Modeling" issues.

And yes, I want to upgrade. Its just not the right time. Im still debating what I need. I really woundnt reccomend a Spider to anyone that was going to Gig, or had a stiffy for "Bedroom Tone".

If you just want to jam with your friends, youll need the 75w just to clear the drums. If your playing in your bedroom, learning scales, theory, and just messing around, as long as it sounds good to you it wont matter what it is.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
are you kidding? the 15w has the tinniest hollowest sound imaginable. the 75 watt makes up for it by being big and having some low end.

put them next to each other, you'll know right away. wattage doesn't mean anything with tube amps. with solid state modelling amps however, the difference is huge.

Obviously if you put th next to each other the 75 watt is better. You pay more for more watts, and it does deliver more, but I'm just saying that they both have the se amount of bad deal. I'd get a tube amp for that money. If you want a modeller, why buy the crappy
Halfstack when you can get a used vetta for that price? Also, your point about wattage is irrelevant. I'm just saying that a 15 watt tube amp will be louder than a 15 watt ss amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.