Page 1 of 2
Recently i have noticed some guitars have been scratched purposly to make it look like someone else's guitar or an old guitar but i had a conversation today and he said that it wouldnt feel right having a guitar already scratched. I Also realised today that the laminating on the guitars (the plastic stuff not all guitars have it but i dont know its name) would have of been scratched off when doing these marks but for the guitar i saw today the laminating was coming over the scratches which shouldn't happen also the scratches were level with the guitar as if they were part of it not making it look real.

Anyway i wanna know what are your thoughts on Relic / Aged guitars?
if it's done right then i love it. example: VOS Gibsons

i see this aged guitar was a Fender Strat time machine 50's relic i think
The only Gibsons that are relic'ed are the Murphy aged ones. The VOS ones are not necessarily relic'd, they just have a slightly duller paint job compared to the glossier historics.
They can look awesome, but some of them look like ****.

I love old tweed amps though, they look sweet.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Hideous, pointless, stupid. Your gear will wear out naturally, why have tacky, artificial wear to age?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
the roadworn series........get a normal fender and wear it down yourself, even though the roadworn`s are proper fender machines` for some reason i consider it to be fake `cos it looks like they`re cheating.
Quote by al112987
The only Gibsons that are relic'ed are the Murphy aged ones. The VOS ones are not necessarily relic'd, they just have a slightly duller paint job compared to the glossier historics.

the murphy aged les pauls are found in the VOS series though
i noticed that the slash les paul signature well his aged was 12 grand (australian) and 15 grand just for his signature and it looks sorta cool but i think that for it scratched to add like 2 grand is ridiculous
Made for posers and wannabes.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
For some, it's a style I guess. It's like those pre-worn jeans. I think it's dumb, personally, but then again I mainly value pristine, mint condition goods, and mourn every single tiny ding and scratch that ends up on my equipment, whether it be my guitar or phone, or anything. No relic'd guitars for me.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by James13v
Made for posers and wannabes.

this is what i think too.

fair enough buying an abused 2nd hand guitar if you like it because you can get a good deal for an instrument that's in appauling condition.

but the dickheads who go out and buy a brand new guitar and delibirately knock seven bells of **** into it so people think they aren't virgins.. it's ridiculous. I have played a very very nice gibson les paul junior that some absolute tit of a previous owner had put tape over and poured some kind of paint stripper on bare patches of the finish then rubbed it off while it melted from the chemical reaction - to make it look like forearm wear. the thing looks hideous but it's a lovely guitar - at the back the finish was all melted but you could see where the strips of tape to protect the rest of it had been as it squared off into a perfect condition finish. Horrible thing to do though. I think there's some poetic justice in the fact the guy later sold it and didn't get half as much as he normally would've got for it because of the appauling "relic" job.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the roadworn series........get a normal fender and wear it down yourself, even though the roadworn`s are proper fender machines` for some reason i consider it to be fake `cos it looks like they`re cheating.

Roadworn was a good enough concept but priced too high and wearing looked absolutely ****. So if you can get the wearing/vintage look done properly then it can be well worth it but natural wear is the best kind.
Quote by iamawsomeguitar
Recently i have noticed some guitars have been scratched purposly to make it look like someone else's guitar or an old guitar but i had a conversation today and he said that it wouldnt feel right having a guitar already scratched. I Also realised today that the laminating on the guitars (the plastic stuff not all guitars have it but i dont know its name) would have of been scratched off when doing these marks but for the guitar i saw today the laminating was coming over the scratches which shouldn't happen also the scratches were level with the guitar as if they were part of it not making it look real.

Anyway i wanna know what are your thoughts on Relic / Aged guitars?

Personally, i don't like the guitars automatically scratched because i like the brand new look and scratches can be very noticeable.
I really love guitars that have aged naturally, especially Teles. I wouldn't relic my own guitar, or buy a road worn Fender or something, because it wouldn't feel right to me.
My Gear:

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster (Special Edition Butterscotch Blonde)
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by fulham_phil
I really love guitars that have aged naturally, especially Teles. I wouldn't relic my own guitar, or buy a road worn Fender or something, because it wouldn't feel right to me.

i think the problem now with all these companies bringing out "aged" guitars is that their regular guitars are pretty much age-proof, especially fender - have you seen how thick those finishes are?!? it is very unlikely that it'll get worn down without abuse even in 50 years time... the major downside is that these thick poly finishes don't actually allow the guitar to resonate as well as the old thin nitro finishes so the guitars don't sound as good either..
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
i think the problem now with all these companies bringing out "aged" guitars is that their regular guitars are pretty much age-proof, especially fender - have you seen how thick those finishes are?!? it is very unlikely that it'll get worn down without abuse even in 50 years time... the major downside is that these thick poly finishes don't actually allow the guitar to resonate as well as the old thin nitro finishes so the guitars don't sound as good either..

Yeah I see what you mean about the finishes. I suppose what I meant was I'd rather buy a guitar brand new, keep it forever and let it accumulate all the scratches, nicks and so on through my own playing, rather than them already being there / scratching it on purpose.
My Gear:

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster (Special Edition Butterscotch Blonde)
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by Blompcube

Maybe I'm just weird like that, but I'd rather not have scratches all over my gear. I like the way it looks often times when someone else is playing an old relic'd looking guitar but my stuff is always in it's case locked up tight and carefully played. My old squire affinity strat is the one exception cause it doesn't have a case but even then it's close to 5 years old and doesn't have a single scratch on it and it gets cleaned down and polished every time I change the strings.

I bought my Taylor used and it had a tiny white blemish on the corner of the back and side, along the black trim stuff. For a used guitar that's pretty good to me because all the other used guitars I looked at had scratches or dents filled with putty, lol. Luckily I liked this one. After a good cleaning session the blemish is gone and I have what I consider a brand new guitar.
I think it's all about your tastes.
I have yet to see a relic that I like, and even if i do from what i've seen the price of relic guitars is about 20% more than the original model. So no I don't like them.

My friend however has made it his dream to buy a relic Gibson Les Paul, to which i lol'd at him, but again. It's all about your tastes.
The price is not justified at all, but I can see the use of some, (e.g. Joe Strummers Telecaster) if you're in a Clash tribute band, but I would prefer something that acquires character over time through use than something pre-worn. That being said, I wouldn't knock one back if the price was right. My acoustic is only 2 years old but it has some wear already, and the satin has turned a different shade and texture where my arm rests on the body. It's much nicer knowing that it has came from my own practice.

One thing about the "Road Worn" series; why is there no wear on the 12th fret?
Although they don't make sense from a perspective of reissuing guitars (The finishes are too thick) They are still guitars. Would I play one? Yes. Would I buy one? Only if I could get one for $300 or less and nothing was wrong with it (Well, Other than the design)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I played a Slash Gibson Les Paul a while back. Then I played a pucker shiny new one. Both played well but the un-relic'd one felt nicer. Nothing about the Slash model represented one thousand seven hundred and fifty euro worth of extra value.
At the other end of the scale, a Vintage Lemon Drop retails around £70 more than a standard V100 and does have the re-wiring etc done which any tech would charge at least 50 quid for. That's not a terrible premium if you like that sort of thing.
I don't. I feel it is as much a lie as the Gibson name on the headstock of those Chinese rip-offs. Any wear and tear on my guitars has been honestly gained through years of work.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

As far as these "worn" guitars go, I don't like them. The whole point of having scratches and rough spots of a guitar is because you it makes it your own. To me, it gives my guitar sentimental value. If there are artificial scratches and such on my guitar, it would just give me false value, and it would look like crap.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees

The problem i have with this... is this

Now i know they are not the same guitar. But the main point of this is that Steve vai's EVO has been around for what? 20-30 years? Going through long tours and crazy amounts of abuse in terms of playing. Yet a guitar that is meant to look aged comes out looking like the first pic? seems a bit unrealistic. As a whole though, i am not fussed when it comes to shiny or "aged" (dimmed) finishes. But "relicing" can get over the top if not done in a subtle way.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Aug 8, 2009,
Don't like it at all, if I'm paying for a new guitar I want it to look new.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Now i know they are not the same guitar. But the main point of this is that Steve vai's EVO has been around for what? 20-30 years? Going through long tours and crazy amounts of abuse in terms of playing. Yet a guitar that is meant to look aged comes out looking like the first pic? seems a bit unrealistic. As a whole though, i am not fussed when it comes to shiny or "aged" (dimmed) finishes. But "relicing" can get over the top if not done in a subtle way.

You want to see ugly overkill?

New...

Trash can...

If I had a guitar like that and it was vintage I'd think about refinishing it. It would have to be the same kind of paint and thickness, though.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 8, 2009,
I just straight up don't like them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I did it to mine, I prefer it now.
It's all opinions, some like it, some don't.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I only like them because it seems the only way to get a nice nitrocellulose coat that'll both wear and let the wood breathe on a maple fretboard telecaster without spending $1,800 or more on an American Vintage model, GE Smith signature or others.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by STABxYOU
Hideous, pointless, stupid. Your gear will wear out naturally, why have tacky, artificial wear to age?

I agree 100 %, It´s all just fake and made up storys that I´m sure some of these people love to make up.
Quote by RoughDraft274
Maybe I'm just weird like that, but I'd rather not have scratches all over my gear. I like the way it looks often times when someone else is playing an old relic'd looking guitar but my stuff is always in it's case locked up tight and carefully played. My old squire affinity strat is the one exception cause it doesn't have a case but even then it's close to 5 years old and doesn't have a single scratch on it and it gets cleaned down and polished every time I change the strings.

I bought my Taylor used and it had a tiny white blemish on the corner of the back and side, along the black trim stuff. For a used guitar that's pretty good to me because all the other used guitars I looked at had scratches or dents filled with putty, lol. Luckily I liked this one. After a good cleaning session the blemish is gone and I have what I consider a brand new guitar.

i always like to buy blems, shop soiled, dented etc. my secret to having so many guitars is getting the nice guitars which have got a few little dings out of the box. my fret-king for example - it's a blemished guitar that the shop i bought it from were gonna return to the distributors and get a replacement but after playing it i insisted on buying it - it just has some miniscule blotches in the finish. my jazzmaster - i got it a lot cheaper than it should've been because of a little dent in the upper bout and a little chip on the headstock... but i do take good care of them, apart from pick scratches and a little bit of belt-buckle scratching (well, more metal buttons on my trousers) they stay in the same condition.

well, i say that, but the other day it was really hot and i was sweating playing my nice yellow fender cyclone and my sweat made the dye in my blue shirt leak onto the guitar and stain the back... i'm not fussed, it's not like i'm gonna sell it ever, i love it too much!
Rig Winter 2017:

Squire + Fender Neck + Dropping on floor + Sanding = Road Worn.

Seriously, they must have screwed up enough to make those
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

I think they are dumb. I saw one that the bridge looked all rusty and I lol'd. Whoever buys these are simply posers.
Quote by Tempoe
I think they are dumb. I saw one that the bridge looked all rusty and I lol'd. Whoever buys these are simply posers.

And wanna be´s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Tempoe

Quote by sstony
And wanna be´s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is that? Because they prefer the way an aged guitar looks? Who are they posing as exactly? Someone who plays guitar?

If someone buys a used les paul that looked worn in by the previous owner, does that mean that he's a poser for playing an aged guitar that he didn't put all the wear on?

Am I allowed to say all the people who play pointy metal guitars are just trying to display an image that they're harder and badass than they really are? Because c'mon what function do those fugly Dean Dimebag shapes really serve other than to make one look like a tool? If someone can simply prefer the look of those hideous things, then why can't someone prefer the look of an aged guitar?

I personally HATE the look and feel of les pauls with shiny, glossy tops and hardware. I've always preferred a guitar that has had the finish worn in and faded a little bit, slightly aged trim, with the nickel hardware aged a little bit, it both looks and feels better. I'm not talking about having a bunch of dents or scratches or paint stripping, I'm talking about something that looks like this...

Last edited by al112987 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Why is that? Because they prefer the way an aged guitar looks? Who are they posing as exactly? Someone who plays guitar?

If someone buys a used les paul that looked worn in by the previous owner, does that mean that he's a poser for playing an aged guitar that he didn't put all the wear on?

Am I allowed to say all the people who play pointy metal guitars are just trying to display an image that they're harder and badass than they really are? Because c'mon what function do those fugly Dean Dimebag shapes really serve other than to make one look like a tool? If someone can simply prefer the look of those hideous things, then why can't someone prefer the look of an aged guitar?

This. +1

people I know this is the internets and all, but really? It should be common knowledge on a forum like this one that everyone is entitled to their own opinions..
buying a relic classes as cheating

you wouldn't cheat would you?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I think it's stupid, but to each his own. I'd rather **** up my own guitars than have someone do it for me....It's like buying pre-frayed jeans. Just..why?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I think the only guitars with an aged look that I like are the ones made by James Trussart.
You listen to rock, your ass is goin to HELL! You listen to country western music, read your bible, you saved, your soul is saved.
Page 1 of 2