The title says it, discuss factors that might make guitar riffs memorable throughout the history of music.
Anything from "Summertime Blues" to "Seven Nation Army", or Blues to Heavy Metal, any form of riff is fine.

To me, it's memorability and the ease of playing.
They might sound complicated but once you learn it it's not that hard.
After Smoke On The Water, I think Layla is the ultimate masterpiece as a rock riff.
It's in the perfect key and it's very enjoyable to play.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Ease of playing is not always true though.
For an average guitarist, they'll struggle to play Master of Puppets, but that intro riff is just amazing.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I'm going with memorability and ease of playing. Think about it, some kid is listening to Master of Puppets and says I want to do that so goes and begs his parent to buy him the greatest guitar ever, which he thinks of course is the squire strat or low quality Epi LP. He gets home and tries to play Master of Puppets and says that is way too hard, so next he tries the Iron Man riff or the Smoke on the Water and says wow that's easy. And that's how it becomes legendary.
Hysteria's bassline. It's addictive.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by cornmancer
I'm going with memorability and ease of playing. Think about it, some kid is listening to Master of Puppets and says I want to do that so goes and begs his parent to buy him the greatest guitar ever, which he thinks of course is the squire strat or low quality Epi LP. He gets home and tries to play Master of Puppets and says that is way too hard, so next he tries the Iron Man riff or the Smoke on the Water and says wow that's easy. And that's how it becomes legendary.

That's a good point.

Whole Lotta Love is easy, yet satisfying.

So is the Trooper or Run to the Hills.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by cornmancer

i disagree. take vocals for example; noone ever says james hetfield is a better vocalist than freddy mercury because his stuff is easier to sing.

it's about mood, rythm, and intervals, but when they're in the right spot. same as what makes a riff good, or ok. just sometimes everything goes so well that it becomes legendary.

of course, promotion has a lot to do with this, as well as popularity of the genre. as much as people like me consider electric wizards riffs to beat the hell out of metallica's, they aren't as popular and don't get the radio airplay, so they will never be considered better by the mainstream.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
This is a great question!

I would have to say longevity. I think any music that comes out today or within the last 10 years might have a problem with a riff being called "legendary".

I agree with Layla and Smoke on the Water completely. Iron Man would be up there for me.

A couple of the "newer" songs (say last 15 years or so)... Walk (Pantera), Man in the Box (Alice In Chains) and Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth). These are just my opinions.
Quote by steve_oz_49
This is a great question!

I would have to say longevity. I think any music that comes out today or within the last 10 years might have a problem with a riff being called "legendary".

I agree with Layla and Smoke on the Water completely. Iron Man would be up there for me.

A couple of the "newer" songs (say last 15 years or so)... Walk (Pantera), Man in the Box (Alice In Chains) and Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth). These are just my opinions.

Iron man and of course, Paranoid.
So is Crazy Train.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
What makes a Riff legendary?

The melodic tone that compliments the song perfectly with a feeling of passion and emotion placed into the riff to make it have a good feeling of tone.

Seven Nation Army - basic, but with emotion.
Easy, the legendary riff must be easy to improvise to.
Listen to the solos in Down By The River, Cinnamon Girl and Cowgirl in the Sand (all neil young) and you'll understand.
Quote by TheBadger.
Easy, the legendary riff must be easy to improvise to.
Listen to the solos in Down By The River, Cinnamon Girl and Cowgirl in the Sand (all neil young) and you'll understand.

Exactly true.
You can play along to good riffs because it's not distracting.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron