Hey UGers! I've finally decided to probably go all in for a Blackstar HT-5. I was pretty blown away by the sound of the HT-5 combo and it sure pwned the Marshall AVT20/50(Sounds too similar to my L6 POD XT) and Laney LC-30II(Not enough Gain). I still cant believe the salesman actually recommended me an MG when I wanted a tube amp

Anyways, here's what I need to here from you guys. Should I get a HT-5 combo, half stack or full stack? I will be using this for room practice so I'm not too sure on the right one. I've heard that you've get more bass from a head+stack. Is this true? Plus is there anything bad bout the HT-5 I need to look out for?

Thanks to Artemis Entreri for recommending me the HT-5!
If you can buy the head + a 2x12
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
If it's just for your room I'd get the combo, and you can always get an external speaker if it needs to be louder.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by bucketmark
If you can buy the head + a 2x12

This. You can do better than the Blackstar cabs.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Head. Then you can buy a different cab.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Get the head and a 2x12 as suggested. Either that, or the head and cab.

Combos are eh, especially if you can afford the head and cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
omg i actually suggested something people agree with, rejoice!
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Combo.

Contrary to what most people on here are saying, the 2x12 won't be any louder than the 1x10 - it'll just project differently. There will be some differences in tone though so I think you should try and play both setups before making a decision.

I've actually got a HT-5H and wish I'd gotten the combo. I feel, at this point, that the ease of portability afforded by a combo would somehow be more in keeping with what the HT-5 was designed to do. It's supposed to be a good practice amp and to me that means portability. A head and cab is just too much of a pain (for me) to stuff into my tiny car and drag around.

Still, try them both. My experiences are mine and your mileage may vary.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
HT-5 head with either a orange, framus, engl, marshall 2x12
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
HT-5 head with either a orange, framus, engl, marshall 2x12
I agree that any of the aforementioned combos will sound great - but, matching a $300 amp with a $500+ cab just seems potty.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I agree that any of the aforementioned combos will sound great - but, matching a $300 amp with a $500+ cab just seems potty.

what about a £250 head with a £670 mesa cab
but you also have an engl screamer head to go with the cab?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by ch0
Combo.

Contrary to what most people on here are saying, the 2x12 won't be any louder than the 1x10 - it'll just project differently.

Eventhough only one person said to get a cab because it will be louder, adding speakers will make it louder. Doubling speakers, in general, gives an increase of 3dB of volume. Not to mention, the 12s will have more bass response and be less boxy sounding.

I'd say, if you want to keep to the mini stack look, get the HT-5 and a Krank Rev Jr cab, should be an awesome combo
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eventhough only one person said to get a cab because it will be louder, adding speakers will make it louder. Doubling speakers, in general, gives an increase of 3dB of volume. Not to mention, the 12s will have more bass response and be less boxy sounding.
That's what I get for posting at 6:00am
Quote by Marty Friedman
Im getting thios and im gonna use t on a 2x12 coz first of all its bigger and il be using it at gigs with micing and second u only have 2 things rather than three to move around.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Thanks for all the input guys! I would really love to get a 2x12 but I am on a tight budget of 500USD and I doubt I can find a decent cab to go along with the head, although if any of u have recommendations for a cab under 200USD, do recommend! So it'll be the combo or mini-stack or a 2x12 cab under 200USD.
I can totally vouch for the Krank cab. Plugged in with Eminence Legends. Definitely worth it, man.
If a 2x12 is out of your price range there are always 1x12s.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Alright guys, i've decided to postpone my purchase till 3 months later, where i should be able to add in a 2x12 cab now. I'm looking at the Blackstar Artisan 212. Is this any good? My new budget is now 400USD for a cab! Keep those recommendations coming!
Avatar Vintage 2x12 closed-back with Celestion Vintage 30s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
My question on this is; Could I, theoretically, use my Marshall MG50 (don't bash, 'cos I'm going to get a new amp soon) as a 1x12 for a Blackstar HT-5H?
For bedroom pratice any of them will be too loud.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by RDSElite
My question on this is; Could I, theoretically, use my Marshall MG50 (don't bash, 'cos I'm going to get a new amp soon) as a 1x12 for a Blackstar HT-5H?

I believe it should be possible. However, plugging it into an amp would probably 'colour' the tone of the head, making it sound different than it should be. That would be the case for my POD XT through another amp. Anyways, I dont think that the speaker itself is very good but as long as the speaker isnt below 40w, it should work.