Page 1 of 3
Alright, I'll say firstly that most modern pop music sucks. It's soulless, lacks any meaning or heart whatsoever and you could replace Lady Gaga with Miley Cyrus and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But in the Pit, I've noticed recently that this hate has extended to all pop in general. I remember the "what if the Beatles hadn't existed" thread from not so long ago and seeing plenty of comments as to how it would have been a good thing because "they made pop and pop sucks".

Why the hate for all pop music? After all, all the true, kvlt br00t4l metulz is just a different kind of POPular music, amirite?

So is this a prevalent attitude with most pit goers, or is it just a few 14 year olds who masturbate to pinch harmonics who want to be more metal than other pinch-harmonic wankers over the internets?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
It's beacuse people in the pit pride themselves with not adhering to the bigger groups, such as the group who likes pop. This anti-social behaviour is pretty common on the internet.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Pop?

Quote by cocacolabottle
95% of the Pit likes The Beatles.

i think 50% of the pit are apathetic towards them
You can't tell the difference between Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus? They're like the opposite of eachother.
i like pop, love the beatles....pop = popular, i.e any music that a large number of people like, that could be BB king or whoever is number one in the charts today, large groups of people like it, then its pop
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
no..
you got it wrong..
its not the name 'pop' that matters.
its the sound, which is not unique or complex enough..
thats why i prefer metal to pop.
because much better instruments are played well.
also, guitars and drums are generally more importan than in pop music.
Quote by oxymorcide
no..
you got it wrong..

There's some irony in there that made me laugh...
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by shadow__666
What does the Pit have against pop?
I hate it cuz the carbonation makes me burp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well because

most modern pop music sucks. It's soulless, lacks any meaning or heart whatsoever and you could replace Lady Gaga with Miley Cyrus and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I guess people are just replacing "most" with "all"
hahahahahaha if you go according to myspace its not popular band s like metallica it says metal but i know people (well use to know) that are wannabe singers and **** and they list themselves as pop when actually they suck monkey balls
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by oxymorcide
no..
you got it wrong..

You obviously have no clue. Sessions musicians in pop are some of the best musicians on the professional stage. I remember reading an interview with a session bassist who played with Stevie Wonder at Obama's Inauguration thingy, and he was saying about how the band were expected to play a particular Stevie Wonder song, which is difficult in itself, faster and in a different key chosen on the fly by Wonder. From memory.

Don't get me wrong, I love metal. But pop musicians are just as, and can be even more talented.
Quote by Old Lady
You can't tell the difference between Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus? They're like the opposite of eachother.

One's a man and one's a woman?
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by denfilade
Well because

I guess people are just replacing "most" with "all"

Yeah, that's where I get confused. Saying "most" pop sucks is one thing, but saying "all" is different.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by lukeylynch
Pop is music for people who don't like music.

ignorance is a trait of people who say the above statement
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
ignorance is a trait of people who say the above statement

That's a ridiculous accusation.
Quote by oxymorcide
no..
you got it wrong..

You assume that all pop music ever created has the same sound. Noob.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Xeus
well it does ruin your teeth and it has loads of sugar.

I stick with orange juice
You just have to brush well.
kill all humans
Honestly I find pop and typical radio music annoying as ****, techno, rap, pop all that kinda **** just makes me want to kill myself, it's horrible.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by lukeylynch
That's a ridiculous accusation.

not really, your statement is ridiculous

who says you don't like music if you like pop.....pop is just POPULAR music, it's no more credible than jazz, blues, soul, metal and no less credible either. music is music
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by Jesstaa
Honestly I find pop and typical radio music annoying as ****, techno, rap, pop all that kinda **** just makes me want to kill myself, it's horrible.

agree except I wanna kill everyone around me not myself lol
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
i find it funny that a lot of people who claim to hate pop and love metal don't realize that some of the metal bands they love make pop music (aka metalcore)
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by guitar-guy01
not really, your statement is ridiculous

who says you don't like music if you like pop.....pop is just POPULAR music, it's no more credible than jazz, blues, soul, metal and no less credible either. music is music

One can argue that all of those are just forms of popular music.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by ep1kz
i find it funny that a lot of people who claim to hate pop and love metal don't realize that some of the metal bands they love make pop music (aka metalcore)

Metalcore is pop music now?
Quote by ep1kz

Good thing I don't listen to modern metal aint it?

Quote by denfilade
Metalcore is pop music now?

Not by your typical standard, but yes, I believe it is. Metalcore is widely accepted to and listened to by most teenagers I know, the same people who listen to pop music, I think it's really just accepted as a popular way to seem rebellious.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
One can argue that all of those are just forms of popular music.

thats what i'm trying to argue, that within every genre there are artists who would be considered somewhat pop
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
but they are not as popular I went on youtube and typed in "the" and the only thing that comes up is the climb by miley cyrus I just ed lol
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Digitech RP250
Quote by lukeylynch
Pop is music for people who don't like music.

Worst thing I have ever read here.
Quote by guitar-guy01
thats what i'm trying to argue, that within every genre there are artists who would be considered somewhat pop

And there's nothing wrong with them being popular (not implying that you're saying there is, just adding to the point :p ) For example lot of people love RHCP... so do a lot of people on here. Are they pop? Hell yeah they are.
As i've gotten older, i've become more tolerant of radio music.

As a teenager, i never used to listen to the radio, and got my fill of music from DVD's and CD's. But now, because my car doesnt have a CD player, im forced to either record my music onto Cassete (they're rectangular and have two holes in them, not one, for those of you who may have never seen one before) or listen to nothing.

And driving without music is pretty boring sometimes. So quite often if you were to pull up next to my car you'd hear me with something quite "poppy" cranked. Nethertheless, my radio is usually on TripleM, which thankfully plays its fair share of good pop music, like AC/DC and Pearl Jam....but on the odd occasion when i go channel surfing because Nirvana has come on TripleM, you might find me, driving a car with BLKSAB numberplates, with Eminem playing

Years ago i would have scoffed at it and ripped the radio out and thrown it at the nearest pedestrian, but yeah, have matured, attitudes change etc etc.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Page 1 of 3