so I was playin around with my T5 for a bit today and realized that I dont know what pickup switch positions 4 and 5 actually do. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, a neck and a bridge. Switch position 4 is the neck and bridge in series and 5 is the same, but in parallel. I can hear an obvious difference, but I dont actually understand what the difference is on an electronic/magnetic level because I know squat about pickups. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
its not modded, the T5 comes with 5 positions.

1. acoustic soundboard
2. neck only
3. bridge only
4. neck and bridge in series
5. neck and bridge in parallel

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Series more or less turns the pickups into one really wide pickup. You get a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a fatter, louder output.

In parallel, the two pickups work together, but separately. If that made sense.
The answer is in the words. The wiring in series goes round one pickup and then round the other. In parallel it splits and goes round both. The difference in tone is mainly due to the higher (s) or lower(p) impedance created. Its like the ohm rating of speakers is increased or reduced in series and parallel wiring.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

alright I think I can get my mind around that.

Now, I love the sound of a Tele, but cant afford one ATM. Would series or parallel get me closer to a tele sound out of my T5 for now? Im not even sure what sort of pickup combination tele's have to be honest. and I damn sure dont know anything about pickups

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce