i don't know modelling amps seem very fiddly and computerized i dont knw but u sometimes i prefer more raw amps.

what do u guys think?

a dilemma for me is:

modeling: peavey vypyr 75w

vs.

raw: marshall mg 30

i know the peavey is better than the marshall according to what ug and reviews say but i want to go for the marshall as it is more u knw user based i mean like u make your own tone settings striaght forward work

help me here guys!

thnx in advance
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by pepsi1187
no marshall.

what do u mean?
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Don't get the mg. You'll hate yoursel afterwards. I've never played on a vyper though, and I really just don't like modeling amps, but don't get an mg.
an MG would be a downgrade from the Spider III. Get the Vypyr.
Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Currently saving for:
Agile/Gary Kramer 7 string
If you must get a Marshall practice amp, the new version of the MG isn't bad at all. yet it's still bandwagoned against. i bet the majority of UGers never tried it. It's not great though - it's just "ok" tonally but it makes a nice bedroom practice amp. Just avoid the old DFX models at all costs as they are the reason everyone hates the 'MG' name and insists that everything with MG must suck.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
go with the vypyr
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
hmmm i have tried a mg100dfx and that **** RULES if i had enough cash to buy it i'd buy it regardless of wat people say but i dnt have that much cash i don't knw the mg series seems good too me i dunno y people hate it soo much but there has to be a reason they aren't all crazy lol
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
hmmm i have tried a mg100dfx and that **** RULES if i had enough cash to buy it i'd buy it regardless of wat people say but i dnt have that much cash i don't knw the mg series seems good too me i dunno y people hate it soo much but there has to be a reason they aren't all crazy lol

Basically for the same reason that you like your spider III.
I thought my mg50dfx was amazing when I got it, I thought it sounded great. But I had been playing guitar for one year at that point. I recall playing System of a Down riffs on an American Strat through that amp and being perfectly content.

Eventually your ear will improve for tone, and the foul qualities of that amp will set in. Don't get an MG.
Quote by r4ster
Basically for the same reason that you like your spider III.

i didn't get my spider cause i liked it i couldn't try it b4 buying it i played safe and got it because everyone bought it
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk

the MG100 isn't bad. Clean channel is a little iffy, but it's a decent amp. Solid State Marshalls aren't all that great, but it's good a start if your a beginner. The next step up from there being a JVM205H or something.

It's not the kind of amp I would bring with me on the road, but it gets the job done as a practice amp.
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
No MG!

Never MG!!!
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MonsterOfRock
No MG!

Never MG!!!

Now that's just uncalled for!
Guitars

1992 Fender Standard Stratocaster
2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Ovation Celebrity 6-String Acoustic
Fender BG29 Acoustic 4-string Bass
Quote by The Cheat
Now that's just uncalled for!

But it's true.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by The Cheat
the MG100 isn't bad. Clean channel is a little iffy, but it's a decent amp. Solid State Marshalls aren't all that great, but it's good a start if your a beginner. The next step up from there being a JVM205H or something.

It's not the kind of amp I would bring with me on the road, but it gets the job done as a practice amp.

that's ridiculous.

the next step up is the AVT. then the Haze. then the DSL models. then TSL. THEN JVM, unless i've missed something out in there. and the JVM isn't exactly one of the top of the range amps marshall are famous for. and the MG100 is the epitome of terrible value. It's an oversized bottom of the line amp which you pay mid-range prices for. a real waste of money.

but guys... the new MG4 isn't bad as a practice amp, i think it's quite good for what it is, and i'd say it is a step up from the spider. Just don't bother with anything more than the MG30FX because it's still a low end amp even if it's 100 watts and costs as much as a good 30 watt tube combo.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I actually go the Vypyr 75 Watt today and it's pretty sexy. It seems fiddly, but once you give the instructions a quick run through, it's straight forward.
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
The main reason for the MG hate is there is much better amps for the price. The band wagon just took it father from there though. MG's though have been known to have problems with breaking.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
MG's aren't actually that terrible, they're just overpriced for what they are. They're a bog-standard solid state practise amp with a few cheap digital effects thrown in. The only real difference between them and other run of the mill solid stats is the MGs are advertised more and cost more.

People don't advise you not to buy an MG because there is anything particularly wrong with them - it's just that for the same money you can get a better amp elsewhere, or alternatively you can get the same sort of thing from another brand for less and save yourself some cash.

That said, I do think the MG2FX is quite genius and worth buying for what it is; a 2 watt SS with some generic built in effects and four stages of gain. Now you're not going to record with that, but if you're living in a flat with paper-thin walls or you're in student accomodation or whatever, something like that is actually pretty damn nice to have.

And to their credit, as Blompcube has mentioned, Marshall have been trying to step up their game and have improved the newer models. They've improved their overall quality control, their MG series has gotten vaguely better (still not worth buying over many other SS amps in the same price range, but any improvement is a good thing) and of course they've introduced the Haze series too as a comfortable mid-point that nearly everyone can afford. People **** on Marshall but they're actually trying to do a lot more than many other companies are.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
well all of u are going on about tube amps gimme some contenders new or used at my price range
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
get a pathfinder 15r
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by The_Toki
SS Marshalls are terrible.

No, just new ones. Actually, MG4s are decent sounding, as are AVTs and Mode 4s. Many older SS Marshalls are good sounding for metal.

Anyways, the fact that an amp is a modelling amp doesn't mean you can't get a raw tone out of it. Just don't use any effects.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
*reported*

vs thread
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
*reported*

vs thread

WTF i didnt do anything
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Carrot
*reported*

vs thread

And this is why an ability to understand fuzzy logic is considered a sign of intelligence.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2