for those of you who can play technical difficulties, how may of you play the small string skipping part in the intro like this:
E----17-14-11----------------
B------------------------------
G---------------17-14-11----
D------------------------------
A------------------------------
E------------------------------?
as i'm currently learning this song and the stretch is far too wide for me, i have to reposition my hand just to play it.
I have tried playing it:
E-17-14-----------------
B--------16--------------
G-------------17-14-----
D--------------------16--
but then it sounds sloppy as hell

for people who can play it, were you able to make that stretch easily straight away or did it require practice?
its really not that big of a stretch.
have you ever played something like a major starting from A on the 6th string at 3 note per string?
its about the same
Gibson les Paul studio
Schecter hellraiser C-1 FR 2008
Guitar Rig - Rig Kontrol
Quote by guynaa
its really not that big of a stretch.
have you ever played something like a major starting from A on the 6th string at 3 note per string?
its about the same

its a combo of the stretch and its position on the neck , I can't seem to comfortably position my hand for a stretch like that that high up the neck on the higher strings but the same stretch is fine on the lower strings at the first 12 frets. once i start passing 12 stretches are much harder
Quote by richymisiak
its a combo of the stretch and its position on the neck , I can't seem to comfortably position my hand for a stretch like that that high up the neck on the higher strings but the same stretch is fine on the lower strings at the first 12 frets. once i start passing 12 stretches are much harder

I have this problem as well, I can stretch better on the lower strings because the neck of the guitar rests firmly in my hand that way, it loses that support when it's on the higher frets.
:S Wouldn't it be alot harder at speed to hit the 17-14--16--17-14--16 compared to the 17 14 11 17 14 11?

Assuming you put equal practice time in both licks. The string skipping stretch just seems more hand friendly and more linear.
I play it like the first tab you said, i don't think its that big of a stretch, i mean you could try tapping it if you really wanted to.
You could practice it a little further up the neck, for example 20-17-14, work on that until it feels comfortable. Then move it down one fret. Practice til that feels comfortable, and so on, until you reach the 11th position.

Also, make sure you are playing this part using the classical position with your left hand (thumb behind neck, hand perpendicular to neck). This makes longer stretches a lot easier.
Quote by se012101
You could practice it a little further up the neck, for example 20-17-14, work on that until it feels comfortable. Then move it down one fret. Practice til that feels comfortable, and so on, until you reach the 11th position.

Also, make sure you are playing this part using the classical position with your left hand (thumb behind neck, hand perpendicular to neck). This makes longer stretches a lot easier.

thanks, i think i've discovered the problem, whenever i play the G,B or E strings my hand automatically shifts from classical to 'baseball bat' style, apparently a lot of guitarists do this [even paul gilbert :O]
i just need to break the habit of going to baseball bat style grip
Quote by drawnacrol
Theirs a load of different ways to play this lick,I always find it amazing how gilbert plays that piece without a single mistake,easiest way is to tap the 17 notes

pretty much paul gibert in general is beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals
I do the "stretch" if you can call it that.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I do it the second way,I think Gilbert can manage the whole run after that with his ring,middle and pinky almost exclusively until the A and E strings.He's quite an inspiration/aspiration to me.
I've been having problems with that part as well. with me I think it's mostly because of my hand positioning. I just can't find a comfortable way to hold the guitar for that. I'm also having a little trouble (not as much) with the 15-17-19 right before the fast triplet run he does, which is odd, because I'm not having any trouble with the 3-5-7 on the E and A or the 10-12-14 on the A and D. I guess I just have bad hand positioning when doing even small stretches at the higher frets and higher strings