hey guys,

i recently got a seagull s6, and i lowered the action a little bit by sanding down the bottom of the saddle. the action at lower frets is just fine now, but starting around the 7th fret it just starts to get ridiculous, and at the 12th fret i have to consciously lift up my fingers just to move around. do i have to adjust the truss rod or something?
truss rod is for adjusting the "bow" in the neck. is the neck too flat?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

yea it is probably bowing forwards and needs to be tightened
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Are you saying the action is too high, after you filed down the saddle?

That's an odd change. Did you mean nut instead of saddle? Or was the action already high, and the change just didn't help to the degree desired?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/action_neck_bow_and_your_truss-rod.html
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

the action was even higher before i took the saddle down. now it's lower, but I don't want to file the saddle down even more because the action on the lower frets is fine. I can't really tell whether the neck is bowing too much in any direction - this is only my second guitar, and the first one i've put effort into taking care of
hold a string down at the first fret and the last fret. ull be able to see if its bowed that way. you should only be able to fit at max a business card in the space between the string and the frets
i can fit maybe 2 business cards in there. i guess i'll have to adjust the truss rod
Sometimes changing to a lighter gauge string can help, if you aren't dedicated to one particular type. Less tension pulling the neck forward.

Barring that, it does sound like a truss issue.

That said, your action doesn't sound terribly high. Perhaps its just a difference in guitars. The new guitar has an unfamiliar feel...
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95