ive got a epiphone explorer 1958 ebony and i want to change the pickups and i was thinking about the 496-R and 500-T which is stock for an origonal gibson explorer. i play a lot of hard rock metal and classic rock. what else do you think would sound good and how would those sound on it? thanks. i have pictures of the guitar in my NGD post from yestrday.

Also can you put a pickup cover over the 496 and 500?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
you can put covers on them, but the problem with those pickups is that they suck.

Also, the original stock pickups for a Gibson Explorer were PAFs, not 496r/500ts. There are several good PAF style pickups out there right now by several different makers. But upgrading to a set of PAF style pickups with a Spider is just about the dumbest investment one can make.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 8, 2009,
what would you suggest then, and a new amp is out of the question at the moment. i realize it isnt great.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by al112987
you can put covers on them, but the problem with those pickups is that they suck.

Also, the original stock pickups for a Gibson Explorer were PAFs, not 496r/500ts. There are several good PAF style pickups out there right now by several different makers. But upgrading to a set of PAF style pickups with a Spider is just about the dumbest investment one can make.

You're mistaken. Current Explorers come with a 496R/500T set, not PAFs.

Source:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer/Specs.aspx

I can't comment on the 496R, but the SG-X I played with a 500T sounded amazing.

New pickups won't make a huge change to your sound, the Spider isn't going to sound much better with better pickups. You might gain a little bit of clarity, but it's not going to be dramatic. You might wanna just bank your pickup fund and keep saving for a new amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 8, 2009,
well i wont be getting another amp till probably some time in late '10 because i got this amp last christmas and my parents wouldnt be too happy if i bought another one right away.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
well i wont be getting another amp till probably some time in late '10 because i got this amp last christmas and my parents wouldnt be too happy if i bought another one right away.

Admit you made a mistake due to lack of research, and sell it to help fund the new one. Unless they bought it, what does it matter if they're happy or not?
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
You're mistaken. Current Explorers come with a 496R/500T set, not PAFs.

Source:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Explorer/Specs.aspx

I can't comment on the 496R, but the SG-X I played with a 500T sounded amazing.

New pickups won't make a huge change to your sound, the Spider isn't going to sound much better with better pickups. You might gain a little bit of clarity, but it's not going to be dramatic. You might wanna just bank your pickup fund and keep saving for a new amp.
I'm not mistaken. ORIGINAL stock pickups on Explorers were PAFs. Notice the emphasis on original. Because he said the stock pickups on an ORIGINAL Explorer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Explorer

Look at the years of production... '58-'59

Do you consider stock pickups on an original les paul to be 490r/498ts or Burstbuckers?
Quote by diceksox1809
what would you suggest then, and a new amp is out of the question at the moment. i realize it isnt great.

Do nothing.

Seriously, why do you feel the need to "do" anything. The Gibson pickups you're looking at ar nothing special anyway and overpriced, you'd probably keep them if they came stock but there's far better options out there for aftermarket pickups. However, the fact is that pickups aren't an issue for you, there's no point worrying about them unless you've got a decent amp. Pickups aren't going to do anything to improve matters tonewise with the Spider, and I'm assuming that's your aim.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I'm not mistaken. ORIGINAL stock pickups on Explorers were PAFs. Notice the emphasis on original.

Do you consider stock pickups on an original les paul to be 490r/498ts or Burstbuckers?

Personally, I consider the 76 reissue the archetypical Explorer, not the 50 or so from the first run.

It depends on the model of Les Paul, if you wanna be that anal, the original pickups on Les Pauls are p90s.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Admit you made a mistake due to lack of research, and sell it to help fund the new one. Unless they bought it, what does it matter if they're happy or not?

Well yeah they bought it and the guy there told my dad it was better than the marshall he was going to buy which is bs...so my dad is still convinced its better. and i bought a new guitar last week and im not looking to upgrade pups for a few months.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
and im going by the gibson explorers on guitar center. it said thats what pickups they had so i was trying to get my epi to sound like the gibby
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Well yeah they bought it and the guy there told my dad it was better than the marshall he was going to buy which is bs...so my dad is still convinced its better. and i bought a new guitar last week and im not looking to upgrade pups for a few months.

Well, if it was between that and an MG they're both equally bad and overpriced, just in different ways. The Spider is more versatile, the MG is a little better sounding, but they're both pretty meh over all. If your dad bought it, you'll need to convince him the sales person lied to convince him to buy the product with the largest profit margin to take advantage of his naiveté.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Well, if it was between that and an MG they're both equally bad and overpriced, just in different ways. The Spider is more versatile, the MG is a little better sounding, but they're both pretty meh over all. If your dad bought it, you'll need to convince him the sales person lied to convince him to buy the product with the largest profit margin to take advantage of his naiveté.

What do you suggest as a new amp for under about $400?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
and im going by the gibson explorers on guitar center. it said thats what pickups they had so i was trying to get my epi to sound like the gibby

But that's just it, it's not going to sound like a Gibson, at least not in the way you expect them to sound. Every famous guitar tone you've ever heard is because of the amp, not the guitar. Sure, the guitar is where it all starts, but you need the right amp to enhance the subtle tonal qualities of the guitar and turn them into a sound that you can hear more than 4 feet away.

If you get Gibson pickups it'll sound like a Gibson running through a crappy Spider. All those classic Gibson tones you've heard are a Gibson running through vintage Marshall, or an Orange, or a shiny new Mesa.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by STABxYOU
Personally, I consider the 76 reissue the archetypical Explorer, not the 50 or so from the first run.

It depends on the model of Les Paul, if you wanna be that anal, the original pickups on Les Pauls are p90s.
Which had t-top humbuckers, short A5 magnet, poly wire and usually in the 7k-8k range. Completely different from the current pickups offered on the modern day explorers. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just letting the TS know that if he wanted something similar in sound to the original explorers, the 496/500 set is not the way to go.
Quote by steven seagull
But that's just it, it's not going to sound like a Gibson, at least not in the way you expect them to sound. Every famous guitar tone you've ever heard is because of the amp, not the guitar. Sure, the guitar is where it all starts, but you need the right amp to enhance the subtle tonal qualities of the guitar and turn them into a sound that you can hear more than 4 feet away.

If you get Gibson pickups it'll sound like a Gibson running through a crappy Spider. All those classic Gibson tones you've heard are a Gibson running through vintage Marshall, or an Orange, or a shiny new Mesa.

yes yes i understand that im just trying to get the best sound of my crap spider that i can until i can upgrade to the better amp. i realize that with an amp like i have that i would get much of a differnt sound from a 200 dollar guitar or 1000 dollar guitar. i know its all in the amp.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
A Peavey Windsor would be a great classic rock amp, but maybe not the most practical if you're just looking for something to practice with. Maybe a Peavey Classic 30 if you can find one, or look at some of the smaller Blackstar and Blackheart amps.
Quote by al112987
Which had t-top humbuckers, short A5 magnet, poly wire and usually in the 7k-8k range. Completely different from the current pickups offered on the modern day explorers. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just letting the TS know that if he wanted something similar in sound to the original explorers, the 496/500 set is not the way to go.

Oh, I know. Nerds are passionate about whatever they're nerdy about, otherwise we wouldn't be splitting hairs over the tr00est Explorer setup.

Quote by diceksox1809

What do you play? If you play more rock oriented stuff, a Peavey Windsor or Valveking might be well suited. If you play metal you can't go wrong with a Ampeg VH-140/Crate GX-130, if you can find one used. If your dad objects to buying used, list off a half dozen 90s death metal bands who used it.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Oh, I know. Nerds are passionate about whatever they're nerdy about, otherwise we wouldn't be splitting hairs over the tr00est Explorer setup.

What do you play? If you play more rock oriented stuff, a Peavey Windsor or Valveking might be well suited. If you play metal you can't go wrong with a Ampeg VH-140/Crate GX-130, if you can find one used. If your dad objects to buying used, list off a half dozen 90s death metal bands who used it.

Also somthing to note is i dont have many pedals so i need an amp that would have good variety ofsounds without pedals. hence why the spider is good for me atm
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
A Spider III is never good for anyone at any moment...

Either way, changing pickups is going to do nothing for your tone, except possibly make it worse. Epi's stock pickups are alright with modelling amps since they're such average pickups and nothing clashes, if you were to put something like a 500T in your guitar you'd be getting the same crap tone but with extra excess noise and less definition thanks to the higher output. It'll just get worse.

Changing pickups is pointless when you have a modelling amp or if you use a lot of pedals to generate different tones. Changing pickups is only really worth bothering with when you want to lightly tweak your tone through a good all-valve amp. Even then it is only the smallest change, pickups don't effect your tone anywhere near as much as you think they do.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by diceksox1809

What d`ya play.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by MrFlibble
A Spider III is never good for anyone at any moment...

Either way, changing pickups is going to do nothing for your tone, except possibly make it worse. Epi's stock pickups are alright with modelling amps since they're such average pickups and nothing clashes, if you were to put something like a 500T in your guitar you'd be getting the same crap tone but with extra excess noise and less definition thanks to the higher output. It'll just get worse.

Changing pickups is pointless when you have a modelling amp or if you use a lot of pedals to generate different tones. Changing pickups is only really worth bothering with when you want to lightly tweak your tone through a good all-valve amp. Even then it is only the smallest change, pickups don't effect your tone anywhere near as much as you think they do.

Epi stock pickups are muddy crap, always.

Clearer pickups will sound better with anything, compared to muddy pickups. Claiming changing his pickups will have no impact is like claiming that him running an EQ pedal between his guitar and amp will have no effect. It's absurd. Different EQ curve in, different signal out.

You don't need all tubes for changes to the EQing of the signal to have an impact. Change the signal in, it changes the final result. Always. Not dramatically, but it's not a dramatic change with a tube amp either.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!