Me and my band are getting a set list ready for a gig we have coming up, and our guitarist chose folsom prison blues and old time rock and roll. Which to i'm okay with but being in a trio when he goes to take a solo it sounds like somthing is missing, mostly on my part. What can I do to atleast make these songs sound more interesting?

--- If you don't know the songs then if you could atleast try and help me with the old time rock and roll thing, it's just an E suffle ---
It's not on your part, what is missing is what the guitar would be playing. The solo from Folsom Prison Blues isn't over-dubbed IIRC so it should be all good.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Lazenby
Me and my band are getting a set list ready for a gig we have coming up, and our guitarist chose folsom prison blues and old time rock and roll. Which to i'm okay with but being in a trio when he goes to take a solo it sounds like somthing is missing, mostly on my part. What can I do to atleast make these songs sound more interesting?

--- If you don't know the songs then if you could atleast try and help me with the old time rock and roll thing, it's just an E suffle ---

I think you should use your picking hand as an expressive tool.
Quote by Melbic Johnson
I think you should use your picking hand as an expressive tool.

I don't understand..?

and to higgins, I don't have money to spend I am just about flat broke.
Quote by Satchafunkilus
You can do all kinds of things with your picking hand. ie mute, slap, pop, "flick", or just pluck. I think thats what he may mean. I dont really know.

I think he meant a hand gesture...

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by higgins666
You could always split your signal, then use a pedal with an octave up feature, feed that into some for of distortion & then use a harmonizer to create an artifical guitar line.

Or get a jam guitarist.
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

D E A T H of the E N D L E S S
lol

funny

Well when I play bass I try to use my right hand (I play with a pick) as an expressive tool. So I try to paint interesting rhythms that match up with the other musicians in fun ways. I don't see how anyone can complain that there isn't enough room to work with in this aspect of the craft because there are millions of rhythms out there that no one has unlocked. And yes, I think it makes for a fuller sound.

sorry just my two cents.