I'm trying to play this guitar chord, but am having difficulty...
--0--
--2--
--2--
--2--
--4--
--0--

Whenever I try to hit the 2nd fret on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings with my first finger, I have great trouble not hitting the 1st string too, which should be played open. I have tried playing it with my first three fingers on these 2nd frets but I cannot reach over to the 4th fret on the 5th string this way.

It's not really a case of not being able to play this quickly, I'm not able to play it at all! Unfortunately, that top E is crucial to the melody so I can't just ignore it. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach this chord? Thanks
Quote by shotwars666
Practice....

Practising the wrong technique won't do me any good though! Am I right in trying to hit all the 2nd frets with my first finger? Does anyone else have difficulty trying to play this?
how is that A/C# if you play the E string?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
yeah it think you should just not hit the open E string. Life will be a lot easier if you do
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by glenthemann
how is that A/C# if you play the E string?

It's an A major chord with a C# bass note. The open E is the fifth of A major, so there's no problem there. That note belongs. Usually optional, but he did say it's crucial to the melody.

Anyways, yeah, practice is the only good answer there, I think. Just need to bend that index finger at the joint so it just misses the little E string. My index finger ends up at a bit of an angle, as well. For some reason, I find it easier not to hit the E string when I use my pinky for the C#. Easier said than done, I know, but it should be doable with some practice.

Maybe it would be simpler to learn if you tried just doing a normal A chord and not worry about the bass note yet? Just worry about playing the three barred notes and missing the little E string, for now, I think. Once you get that, adding the C# back in shouldn't be much of a problem.

Luck!
Quote by Grep
It's an A major chord with a C# bass note. The open E is the fifth of A major, so there's no problem there. That note belongs. Usually optional, but he did say it's crucial to the melody.

That's kind of a false distinction because C# is the third in A major.

If it's truly A/C#, then you have to mute the low E string.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Grep

If it includes the low E, then it's an A/E (or more simply A in second inversion form). It's not an A/C sharp. You name the chord/bass-note by the lowest note in said chord.

T
Quote by Dirk Gently
That's kind of a false distinction because C# is the third in A major.

If it's truly A/C#, then you have to mute the low E string.

Right you are. That'll teach me to post when I'm tired. I didn't notice that the low E was also notated.
--5-- or --5--
--5-- --5--
--6-- --6--
--7-- --7--
--4-- --7--
----- --9--
Look into some other chord voicings or just don't play either the low E or the High E as they are the same note.
Quote by srob7001
Look into some other chord voicings or just don't play either the low E or the High E as they are the same note.

You still play the high E open.
Hi, I'm Peter
-x-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-4-
-x-

would be the same and much easier
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by Grep

Anyways, yeah, practice is the only good answer there, I think. Just need to bend that index finger at the joint so it just misses the little E string. My index finger ends up at a bit of an angle, as well. For some reason, I find it easier not to hit the E string when I use my pinky for the C#. Easier said than done, I know, but it should be doable with some practice.

Maybe it would be simpler to learn if you tried just doing a normal A chord and not worry about the bass note yet? Just worry about playing the three barred notes and missing the little E string, for now, I think. Once you get that, adding the C# back in shouldn't be much of a problem.

Luck!

I realize there is a C#, however that is not the bass note, the E is the bass note

A/C# would be
-0-
-2-
-2-
-2-
-4-
-x-

as far as I know.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Aug 12, 2009,