Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
477mika1

Tele with fender wide range humbucker or p90 on neck ?

So i have this squier affinity telecaster which i have modified. I replaced my bridge pickup with a seymour duncan quarterpound. I was wondering which pickups would be suitable for the neck. Either a wide range fender humbucker, a phat cat p90 or a sopbar p90 ? Btw i am inspired by the squier telecaster vintage modified and the fender twlecaster modified. Aaaand i like PUNK rock FYI. thx.
477mika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

My gut says P90 of some kind.

Send an email to SD- I'm sure that they- like other pickup makers I've dealt with- would be happy to tell you what they think would work best for you with that QP.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #3
Mincer

You may have to replace your pickguard and/or route the body for a P90, Phat Cat or WRHB to fit.
If you don't want to route anything, a Quarter Pound neck is a great, powerful pickup with the power of a P90.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
477mika1

So a soapbar p90 or a phat cat with the nickel cover ?

And btw, do you prefer a quarterpound and a p90 or a normal tele single coil with humbuckers?

Do you think my custom is abit dumb or great ?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

A normal Tele singlecoil with humbuckers would be pretty unbalanced, while the Quarter Pound would probably match pretty nicely with the P90. As a singlecoil guy I prefer the P90 and Quarter Pound anyway, but both combos would probably sound pretty nice (depending on the humbucker and normal Tele singlecoil in question).

As for soapbar vs Phat Cat, presumably you'll have to rout either way. The soapbar is the "real thing", the Phat Cat with a cover would probably look a bit more Tele-ish and you'd have an easier time swapping it out if you wanted to.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 05-25-2016 at 12:50 PM.
K33nbl4d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Tony Done

Standard soapbar P90, no metal cover. I'm not a fan of humbuckers, especially covered ones like the wide range, too much brightness is sacrificed, especially for the neck position.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
SteveHOC
Used Register

Agreed that the wide range reissue is pretty dark and inarticulate sounding. There are ways around this to some extent (look up the Fralin mod), and if you don't use the tone much, you could wire in as two volumes and make the neck 500k (1 meg gets brittle). I'd do a P90 or perhaps a single coil sized P90 or even a G&L MFD neck pickup, the standard Tele pickup sized.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Rio Grande makes excellent singlecoil-sized P90s. Vintage Vibe would be another to check out.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #9
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

Do Fender do any Wide Range reissues with the original construction?

Or does anyone else, for that matter?

I understand they were somewhat brighter than Gibby humbuckers and were built more like singlecoils.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 05-26-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33nbl4d3
Do Fender do any Wide Range reissues with the original construction?

Or does anyone else, for that matter?

I understand they were somewhat brighter than Gibby humbuckers and were built more like singlecoils.

There are builders doing wrhb style pickups that sound close (a quick Google search should yield several options including mojo tone, creamery, duncan, etc.). The original cunife is evidently pretty rare, though a builder named telenator offers pickups to the original specs evidently, around $300 per pickup.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Vintag Vibe does WR pickups that have a good rep, though I don't know if they are actually CuNiFe.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 AM   #12
477mika1

so if i actually put a wide range humbucker into the neck with my quarterpound in the bridge will it sound great ? I took that idea from the tele custom. bcoz i want some of that hunbucker noise.

i want a darker and more powerful sound. So i was thinking either phat cat or humbucker
Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #13
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 477mika1
so if i actually put a wide range humbucker into the neck with my quarterpound in the bridge will it sound great ? I took that idea from the tele custom. bcoz i want some of that hunbucker noise.

i want a darker and more powerful sound. So i was thinking either phat cat or humbucker

Great? No. It will probably sound OK. The Fender reissue WRHB's, as previously stated, need tweaking to sound good, and even then, they aren't great.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
477mika1

So The thing is.. I want to make my guitsr like the tele custom. Single coil and humbucker in action. If it wont work then i will have to use the phat cat p90 instead. I want to knock out alittle bit of the tele bright sound
Old 05-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

Quote:
So The thing is.. I want to make my guitsr like the tele custom. Single coil and humbucker in action. If it wont work then i will have to use the phat cat p90 instead. I want to knock out alittle bit of the tele bright sound

If you're willing to spend a lot on that guitar, you can get a Fender Wide Range reissue modded by the Creamery to vintage specs. £30 (per pickup) and they'll replace the magnets to work like the originals (threaded magnetised polepieces rather than the bar magnet used on the reissues), £90 and they'll gut the pickup and rebuild it with original-sized bobbins and everything. That way you can have your cake and eat it, as it were: a "proper" Wide Range reissue that still says "Fender" on it, which is something I would value, though I don't know whether you would.

If you're in the US, I imagine there are other companies there offering the same, but I don't know for sure.

If it seems a lot of money for the guitar, consider that even if you upgrade the instrument you could take out the Wide Range and use it on something else.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : 05-29-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #16
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:

That's probably a better bet. I'm not sure I understand though - you find the neck pickup too bright? dropping a reissue WRHB in the neck requires routing as well, where you can likely get away with a HB size P90 if the guitar is already routed for a humbucker. Having owned and built Tele Customs (with the WRHB in the neck), I'd take into consideration the sound you want. I've got 350k pots in a 72 Custom/Jazzcaster hybrid I built, which only worked after doing some work on the WRHB itself. If you want the WRHB, I won't keep trying to dissuade you, but google the Fralin mod before you drop it in at least.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #17
477mika1

I have an idea. Maybe i will stick with the phat cat bcoz i cannot imagine the output if i combine a WRHB with my quarterpound and the tone tone i get from a squier could not be as close as a fender.

So i think im going to buy a jaguar hh special eddition and change the neck pickup of it with a phat cat p90 and keep the bridge humbucker alone. However i might need to wait for 2 yrs.

Thankyou so much 4 ur help and can someone tell me in depth the diffrences between a soapbar p90 and a phat cat on a tele ? I've tried soapbars on a tele before but i could really remember bcoz i tried it ona guitar shop only for 2 minutes.

Many thanks btw
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #18
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

Quote:
Thankyou so much 4 ur help and can someone tell me in depth the diffrences between a soapbar p90 and a phat cat on a tele ? I've tried soapbars on a tele before but i could really remember bcoz i tried it ona guitar shop only for 2 minutes.

Phat Cats are designed to sound as similar as possible to actual P-90s, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in sound. There probably isn't a difference which makes it audibly distinguishable from a P-90, though it might sound slightly different to the specific P-90s you've played.

Ultimately the whole point is that it's a P-90 you can stick in a humbucker rout. Gibson also offers the P-94, which I believe has the same premise, which may or may not interest you.

Last edited by K33nbl4d3 : Yesterday at 09:28 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Rio Grande Pickups makes P90 style pickups of different sizes- singlecoil HB, standard P90, etc. You might want to give them a look before you buy a pickup you'd have to carve your guitar to use.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #20
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33nbl4d3
A normal Tele singlecoil with humbuckers would be pretty unbalanced,

You'd think that. But the neck position itself always has more power than the bridge by virtue of placement.

Until the mid'80's, there was no such thing as a "balanced" set of pickups from a manufacturer; both pickups were the same, and the neck pickup was thus always louder. That accounts for a major difference between vintage guitar sound and what we get from manufacturers today.

Truth is, a good single coil in the neck position can often hold its own very well with a decent humbucker in the bridge position. Moreover, you'll likely find that the neck single coil will give you a lot less muddy bottom end than a full-size humbucker in that same position.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: