As the topic title suggests, I can't play fast at all. I really want to learn FireWind, Kemlot, Rhapsody songs etc. the thing is, I can't do any of the solos, even Mercenary Man (which is easy) I can't play the solo in, I can't do the one in Nemo wither and it's beginner >.<

Any advice for building up speed?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
At what speed can you play the parts?
Find that speed and play it even slower for awhile. Increase up a little at a time. If you come to another point were you are having trouble again reduce your speed and work on it some more at a slower beat.
well how long have you been playing guitar?

and you could do some metrenome exercises, say play 16th notes at 60bpm, then up the bpm when you feel you've mastered it.

I don't know what advice to give really, I tend not to focus on speed alot
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I've only been playing for around 8 months, I'm rubbish. I often practise songs with my thumb so I'm not really used to fast picking, speed playing etc.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
I've only been playing for around 8 months, I'm rubbish. I often practise songs with my thumb so I'm not really used to fast picking, speed playing etc.

Ok, when you say thumb, do you mean you use that instead of a pick?

Quote by Wretched_Spawn

Well there's you problem. If you're not used to fast picking then obviously you won't be able to play too fast. Slow down the solos and do some lead guitar exercises. After a while of practice and patience, you will see improvements.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Any excercise advice?
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Sorry if this a stupid question, but do you only downpick or you alternate pick (pick up, down, up down, etc.)?
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Any excercise advice?

there's chromatics, but some people say they're boring.
But focus on a thing called alternate picking (you've probably heard of it)
and say pick a few notes going up down up down etc

Ok, you have been playing for a short time. heres something remember.

Speed is a product of learning accuracy and good technique first. You will naturally become faster.

Spend some time on this site researching technique. You will be amazed how many bad habits us guitarist pick up. Most of these bad habits won't show themselves till later in your playing and are now something that requires relearning to break. And that sucks.
Quote by epic7734
Ok, you have been playing for a short time. heres something remember.

Speed is a product of learning accuracy and good technique first. You will naturally become faster.

Spend some time on this site researching technique. You will be amazed how many bad habits us guitarist pick up. Most of these bad habits won't show themselves till later in your playing and are now something that requires relearning to break. And that sucks.

this
I've been playing about a Year and a half, and i've gotten alot faster than i was say when i was playing 8 months..........

Yes I alt pick
And what kind of bad habbits, I know there's anchoring, but that's all I can think of
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by padgea7x
Ok, when you say thumb, do you mean you use that instead of a pick?

Hate to double post but, yes
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Yes I alt pick
And what kind of bad habbits, I know there's anchoring, but that's all I can think of

That can be a long list, but for example:

The way you lay your fingers down on the frett board while changing chords/notes.

Holding your pick in odd angles to the strings. Not saying there is only one way to do it but there are wrong ways.

That actual way you pick at the strings. E.g. are you using excessive elbow movement while picking a string. Is your wrist making the proper movement. There is also a short list of common ways to pick here on the site with explanations of what the different styles are better for and weaker on.

POSTURE. yeah, im fighting that one right now. I got used to leaning the guitar(while sitting down) back so i had a better view of the fretts. Now it just causes me to mute the bottom strings with my fretting hand some times.

Strumming/picking dynamics. Being able to add that extra umph to something with out over doing it and in many cases throwing yourself out of rhythm.

Theres plenty of bad habits. But the good thing is with just a little research you can learn about them and correct any you may have acquired before it becomes more difficult to break. Like biting your nails, you know how hard it is to stop biting your nails when you have done it for years.

And lets not forget the ever annoying guitarist who believes he deserve a 10 minute solo ever song.....um, yeah that is definitely a bad habit.

Matter of fact, Mr "Freepower"(one of our mods in this forum) has some of the best learning guides on this site. And he deals with many of the things we are talking about. And they are well written and understandable.
Last edited by epic7734 at Aug 8, 2009,
We have been playing the same amount of time! Cool. Most people say I can play pretty fast though. My plan was to just continue practicing, and hopefully one day I'll be like "Holy balls I'm shredding"
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
As the topic title suggests, I can't play fast at all. I really want to learn FireWind, Kemlot, Rhapsody songs etc. the thing is, I can't do any of the solos, even Mercenary Man (which is easy) I can't play the solo in, I can't do the one in Nemo wither and it's beginner >.<

Any advice for building up speed?
first of all its kamelot...you have to practice a lot before starts learning song and especially solos of these bands because they have very good tequince...try getting any solo practice book(i highly recomment Terrifying techquice),practice a lot of exersices at the speed you can and then speed up...have on mind that your hands need time to learn something new and difficult,,,,so just practice and have fun playing
I started of using a Legarto type of picking to pick up speed cause i can't shred even though I've been playing nearly 5 years....yet I can sweep.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by padgea7x
there's chromatics, but some people say they're boring.
But focus on a thing called alternate picking (you've probably heard of it)
and say pick a few notes going up down up down etc

Try not to focus on speed too much (I realize this is easier said than done) at this point. The speed will come as your fundamental skills - alternate picking, your dexterity with your left hand, etc, improve. Speed is not so much a skill in itself, it's more a reflection of how good your fundamental skills are.

As far as exercises go - you have to figure this out. What I mean is that the greatest value in exercises is to work out the weaknesses in your playing. So you have to analyze your playing and figure out where the weakest parts are, then pick exercises that will help you improve these areas.