dead notes=notes that die out (really quickly ex: bending/vibrato) or just dont sound out (instantly muffled).

cause: uneven frets, too low of action

cure: raise action, level frets.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
As i have no idea how to level frets and i prefer my action as it is, should i take my guitar to a technician?
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Quote by RPGoof
^adjusting the truss rod can also fix dead notes

Where do you have dead notes?

15th fret high e string

somebody that can level frets, but they might raise your action too anyway.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
fret levelling is best done by a tech or luthier, and a js100 should have bags of sustain.

dead notes are sometimes caused by the player not fretting properly or by muting with the picking hand,

the fact that its dying on 1 fret sugests that it`s a high fret, raise the action 1/4 turn at a time, if that doesn`t work take it to a decent tech.

which way is the bow in the neck bearing in mind that the truss rod ends at about the 15th-17th fret (where neck joins the body).
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 8, 2009,
All the other frets on every single string sounds just fine, it's just the 15th fret on the high e that doesn't ring out the way it should, so I doubt that it's my technique.

I've decided that I'm going to take my guitar to a tech on monday, thanks for all your help people.

You may have a dent in that fret, or even a dented string, if not probably the fret above is a tiny bit high if only one note buzzes. You could do it yourself, it takes 5 mins and will be ok if you just do a little at a time. Polish after with steel wool. You can check if the fret is high by using a straight edge on the fret (and frets to both sides) and see if it wobbles.
I don't really see what's so funny, but how can i fix this without messing with the trussrod?

do you need to mess with the truss rod if the bow in the neck is slightly concave(bows away from the strings) then the neck is fine and it`s the fret that`s the problem......

if you need to make and adjustment to the neck get the tech to do it as you will seriously fubar the neck if you go too far and trying to balance everything on a floating trem and adjust a neck at the same time is a ballache.

give your guitar to a tech get him to sort it and give him £50 for his time..