Hi,

My guitar teacher tells me that most modern music revolves around either the first, 2nd, 5th and 6th of a key. When soloing over for example something in Amajor, that revolves around the 2nd chord as the tonic (bminor), you would use the bminor blues but could also use the Amajor scale (ionian mode)

This seems quite confusing to me, can anyone help me find what he's getting at?

Thanks
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
He just saying that they share a couple of notes:

A major: A B C# D E F# G#
B minor pent: B D E F# A

It's pretty useless to use the B minor pentatonic over Bm since you're playing in A major.
music revolves around the tonic of the key (the 1st degree)

i think what your teacher is saying is that chords built off the 2nd 5th and 6th of a scale are the ones most commonly used to get back to the tonic (although the 4th degree is very common aswell)

for example, a I-ii-vi-V repeating progression

also, if soloing over a chord progression in Amajor, stick to Amajor until you know what you are doing.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 8, 2009,
ah, I think I technically am in Bminor, cause he tells me to use the Bminor pent over the "2nd" chord of the key...and The Amajor pentatonic if starting on the first chord, A major in this case.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.