I've had my Bassman 250/210 for about a month now, and it has "CONTOUR" knob. Now depending on how I'm EQed up it seems to do it either seems to either just scoop the mids, or really doesn't seem to do much at all.

So...What does it exactly do? What would you use it for?
Last edited by Captain Insano at Aug 8, 2009,
it's a mid scoop, i've never understood the relevance when you could just turn your mids down with the mid knob
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I think it might be made to counteract room frequencies, so instead of totally throwing off your settings, you can get the exact same tone everywhere.

I may be wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i have the same amp man, it's just a mid scoop man
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Seems kinda pointless, couldn't they have just given the amp a graphic EQ instead? My head has the same thing, I never use it, ever. It just makes the amp quieter.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

It doesn't make the amp quieter, it makes your dominant frequencies quieter.

The difference between this and the mid knob is that the contour has a much wider Q, which is to say it affects a lot more frequencies. They could put in a graphic, yes, but it would drive cost and complexity up.
Nope, no sig here.
^Exactly. It's the same thing as all pre-set filters. They're just there to add a little versatility with a very simple turn of a knob. They're not incredibly useful, but they can help add a little something to the tone, without raising the cost all that much and without thinking about it.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It doesn't make the amp quieter, it makes your dominant frequencies quieter.

The difference between this and the mid knob is that the contour has a much wider Q, which is to say it affects a lot more frequencies. They could put in a graphic, yes, but it would drive cost and complexity up.

Yeah I agree, just all the ones I've used so far just seem to make the amp quieter. Personal thing

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright